Dinos or diatoms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RAmoss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RAmoss

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2025
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Virginia Beach
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to remedy this smartly. If needed I can take more pics. I don’t have microscope to look at this right now (I did order).

IMG_5274.jpeg IMG_5273.jpeg
 
I’m trying to remedy this smartly. If needed I can take more pics. I don’t have microscope to look at this right now (I did order).

IMG_5274.jpeg IMG_5273.jpeg
Buy a cheap microscope from Amazon or Marketplace that does 400 magnification. Or better yet, borrow one from a LFS. Post a pic of the slide.
 
Do you use RODI? Have you had the water checked for silicates?
 
Because of the age of the tank, I would almost guarantee it is dinoflagellates.

I’ve seen very few, if any, actual diatom blooms in “older” tanks unless a ton of silicates are being dosed for an extended time.
 
Because of the age of the tank, I would almost guarantee it is dinoflagellates.

I’ve seen very few, if any, actual diatom blooms in “older” tanks unless a ton of silicates are being dosed for an extended time.
as soon as I get a microscope I’ll know more.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new