Dinos or Diatoms?

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted twice on here about what I have in my tank. I have a 24 gallon lifeguard rimless tank. I have a bunch of orange stuff everywhere the picture probably won’t do it justice but it’s orange I know it may look brown but I’m just curious everyone has been telling me it’s diatoms but they haven’t seen it this bad is this really diatoms or is this Dino’s

6EB3CBA8-07D2-4C14-92FD-B222F9EAD3BD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit
ir

Although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit
ir

Although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
OK so here’s this problem I’d like you to let me know if this is a huge deal so the closest saltwater fish store near me that sells roadie water is 40 minutes away I had to work today so I didn’t have enough time to schedule an appointment with him because the aquarium shop that I go to you have to schedule an appointment to get rodi water and I have no rodi water So unfortunately my tank was running a little low on water today and my pump was struggling a little bit because the water was dropping so low so I had to use tapwater I got it as closest possible to the water temperature in my tank and I used prime to get the chlorine out and I put maybe 1 gallon in my tank will I be OK

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so here’s this problem I’d like you to let me know if this is a huge deal so the closest saltwater fish store near me that sells roadie water is 40 minutes away I had to work today so I didn’t have enough time to schedule an appointment with him because the aquarium shop that I go to you have to schedule an appointment to get rodi water and I have no rodi water So unfortunately my tank was running a little low on water today and my pump was struggling a little bit because the water was dropping so low so I had to use tapwater I got it as closest possible to the water temperature in my tank and I used prime to get the chlorine out and I put maybe 1 gallon in my tank will I be OK
I mean, you have to do what you have to do, but if you’re not planning on getting an RODI filter, it might not be a bad idea to keep 5-10 gallons of extra of RODI on hand (or distilled from the grocery store), on TOP of what you predict you’ll need for top-offs and water changes. Its just never a bad idea to have extra in case something happens and you can’t re-up at the lfs or enough to do a water change should a tank emergency arise.

That said, unless your tap water is especially bad, there shouldn’t be any long term repercussions from using a gallon of tap water (at least none that you can’t fix or recover from), but unless you want perpetual diatoms, I would try not to use tap in the future. There are a lot people that have successful reefs that use tap water, but in general they are people who have exceptional tap water. I used tap for several years when I first started out, and while my tanks were fairly healthy, there’s no way I would’ve been able to achieve the kind of tanks I have since switching to RODI. IMO using tap is just too much of gamble.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you have to do what you have to do, but if you’re not planning on getting an RODI filter, it might not be a bad idea to keep 5-10 gallons of extra of RODI on hand (or distilled from the grocery store), on TOP of what you predict you’ll need for top-offs and water changes. Its just never a bad idea to have extra in case something happens and you can’t re-up at the lfs or enough to do a water change should a tank emergency arise.

That said, unless your tap water is especially bad, there shouldn’t be any long term repercussions from using a gallon of tap water (at least none that you can’t fix or recover from), but unless you want perpetual diatoms, I would try not to use tap in the future. There are a lot people that have successful reefs that use tap water, but in general they are people who have exceptional tap water. I used tap for several years when I first started out, and while my tanks were fairly healthy, there’s no way I would’ve been able to achieve the kind of tanks I have since switching to RODI. IMO using tap is just too much of gamble.
Thankyou for all of the info!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its more of an appearance issue than a nuisance. You can siphon the gravel and reduce light intensity of you wish but Not necessary .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back