Dinos showed up while using Chemiclean

Jeremy H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my reef tank up for a little over a year and a half. I have learned a lot in that time, specifically that keeping a reef is much more intense than I originally thought coming from the freshwater side of the hobby. Before I decided to jump in to reef keeping, I thought all the gear available made it easy but quickly discovered that only experience and knowledge make it "easier". Since then I have been consumed by this hobby, just ask my wife. With all that being said, I've definitely had my ups and downs and I'm currently having a big down.

For the past couple months I've been unable to keep nitrates at detectable levels but phosphates are reading at or slightly above acceptable levels. I began dosing some nitrates but they never seemed to stay at readable levels with my Salifert nitrate test kit. I recently identified green cyano growing on my sandbed after believing for a week or so it was some type of turf algae. It was getting a little out of control (but not growing on my rocks assuming because they are covered in coralline algae) and after doing some research decided to go the easy route and treat with Chemiclean (I did three days of treatment instead of two). The Chemiclean was working to eliminate the cyano. I tested by phosphates during the treatment and noticed them dropping very low using the Hanna ultra low phosphorus test. Yet, I had continued to feed my normal amount, maybe even more. My refugium was only growing some nuisance algae because the chaeto had melted after thriving for months prior. Before the treatment was done, dinos began popping up. I'm 48 hours removed from the Chemiclean treatment and, yep, they are definitely dinos.

I would not say they are out of control yet but there are a little basically everywhere. I've been blowing them off of the rocks with a filter sock in the sump. They also don't seem to care what they grow on as i found them growing right the tissue of on my otherwise healthy raspberry acro and copper pavona. Thinking I may have thrown off the bacterial balance in my tank, I just dosed Dr. Tim's One and Only. Per bottle instructions, I currently also have my skimmer off (also to help get nutrients up). I also turned off my refugium light and will only perform water changes for now. I'm hoping to avoid the three day blackout if possible because my acros have been doing really well lately, but am prepared to do it. Also, I haven't seen any other types of algae in my display for a few months after battling some bryopsis and hair algae.

Anyone know why my phosphates would decrease while using Chemiclean or could it be throwing off the testing by the Hanna checker? Anyone had experience with dinos popping up so quickly during the Chemiclean treatment? Also, what other steps besides increasing nutrients and dosing competing bacteria could I do before resorting to the blackout?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Jeremy

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry I have to say #WelcometoR2R with this issue going on.

I have not heard much about Dino post Chemiclean. I have experienced bad cyano after fighting Dino. I am not sure how much the one Dr. Tim’s will do. I think you will need to do the full treatment they recommend. They have it online, but I think you may have it. The phosphate could have dropped for a few different reasons. I cannot say if chemiclean interacts with it, that would be a good quest for Randy.

Just to confirm, it does sound like Dino, but how did you verify? If you have a microscope you could post a pic so a more accurate ID can be done for a treatment plan. Some have success with UV. You can try the DR. Tims. I would try UV and good cleaning, a lot of mechanical filtration, the Dr. Tim’s already dosed to start. See what happens for a few days to give it time before dumping in more chemicals.

Lets see if some more of our member have some advice or tips they can share.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not verify through a microscope, but it seems to have the classic look of a stringy, snotty growth with air bubbles at the top. It blows off the rocks easily and seems to come back rather quickly. I already caved and blacked out the tank. I don't want the issue to get any worse. I know Dr. Tim's One and Only may not be the best treatment, but I figured I have some bacterial imbalance and started with that. I also have the Dr. Tim's Waste Away, Eco Balance and Re-Fresh. By chemicals, do you also mean bacterial supplements like Waste Away? I do not want to use Dino X because the directions make it seem like you can't dose much of anything to keep your other perimeters stable during treatment.

I planned on beginning to use Waste Away during the black out to give the bacteria a good chance at out competing the dinos. Is this not a good idea? I'm running the skimmer without the cup for extra aeration during this process as my research as leads me to believe that higher oxygen levels may help.

I've been thinking about getting a UV and likely will in the future, but I've heard some dinos are less effected by UV because they don't become free floating at night. These appear to fix itself more so to my rock but I do have some on the sandbed.

After the blackout is over, I will look into getting a decent microscope for ID purposes. Thanks for the help.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just say that chemi-clean doesn't "cause" dinos. But reports like this show up because dinos and cyano are often both present and chemi clean is very good at killing cyano. So dinos fill the niche.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just say that chemi-clean doesn't "cause" dinos. But reports like this show up because dinos and cyano are often both present and chemi clean is very good at killing cyano. So dinos fill the niche.
Thanks Taricha. I was just surprised it showed up so quickly. My three day blackout ends tonight at 8:30 PM so hopefully it helped. I've been dosing Dr Tim's One and Only and Waste Away every other day. Hopefully three days in the dark was enough time for those to take hold and beat out the dinos when the lights come on.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back