OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep an eye out but hopefully my nitrates will start to go up since I have added my goby and tang.

I have also added microbe-lift KH & PH stabilisation to raise my alk. I tested my water again today and my alk was around 6.9 dkh

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust any ferts off ebay.

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/dry-salts/potassium-nitrate-kno3.html

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/potassium-nitrate-KNO3-fertiliser-aquarium-plants-p278.html

I'm amazed these places are all sold out. If anything these will put you in the right direction. If it's good for freshwater its good for salt.
Ok so I am about to order the KNO3 as it is back in stock.

Can I ask. What is the process for getting rid of this algae?

Also what is the process for the 3 day treatment?

Thanks again

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for starters you want to get your nutrients up. Dose po4 or no3 to measurable levels. I would recommend P-0.04-0.10 and N - 5-10ppm. Once nutrients are up, because it can take a few days, then move on to the manual removal and blackout. You'll need a toothbrush or some kind of clean cleaning brush, a siphon or canister filter, and black trash bags.

Starting with the manual removal you can brush the algae off and let it filter into a filter sock via siphon hose or let a canister filter filter the water out. When I did this, because my tank was small, I just let the algae flow through the overflow and get filtered via filter floss. Filter floss will clog quickly and might have to be changed out several times.

Once the water clears, then cover the sides of the tank with trash bags and then the top of the tank. I always leave a 1 inch gap on the top of the tank for moisture accumulation. Monitor temps and if you are autodosing, make sure to know that corals won't uptake as much alk or ca during the 3 day black out.

After the 3 days, monitor nutrients again. Make sure they are elevated.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for starters you want to get your nutrients up. Dose po4 or no3 to measurable levels. I would recommend P-0.04-0.10 and N - 5-10ppm. Once nutrients are up, because it can take a few days, then move on to the manual removal and blackout. You'll need a toothbrush or some kind of clean cleaning brush, a siphon or canister filter, and black trash bags.

Starting with the manual removal you can brush the algae off and let it filter into a filter sock via siphon hose or let a canister filter filter the water out. When I did this, because my tank was small, I just let the algae flow through the overflow and get filtered via filter floss. Filter floss will clog quickly and might have to be changed out several times.

Once the water clears, then cover the sides of the tank with trash bags and then the top of the tank. I always leave a 1 inch gap on the top of the tank for moisture accumulation. Monitor temps and if you are autodosing, make sure to know that corals won't uptake as much alk or ca during the 3 day black out.

After the 3 days, monitor nutrients again. Make sure they are elevated.
Ok thanks. Yeah I scrub my rocks with a toothbrush every waterchange.

I'll see if I can borrow a canister filter from someone or pick up a cheap one.

I use filter socks in my sump so I siphoning through one can be done easily. So do I just need to raise my nutrient levels so that a new type of algae can start growing after the blackout?

My tang and goby have been in for a week and I have been feeding more than normal but I checked my nitrates again today and still 0. That's when I checked that website you linked for the KNO3 and it's back in stock.

And what about the 3 day method? I'm just curious

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I just need to raise my nutrient levels so that a new type of algae can start growing after the blackout?
Essentially yes. Hair algae is a normal process. But thats not to say its going to grow like crazy for you. Typically once the other types of algae start growing, you no longer need to worry about nutrients.

And what about the 3 day method? I'm just curious
You're still going to do a 3 day blackout but without a GFO intervention. What happens with GFO as we flash the recommended amount of GFO per our water volume is it causes a rapid uptake of phosphate, silicate, and other elements creating a rapid dip in alkalinity. This quick change is like a shock treatment on the tank. It basically bursts the tiny protist cells. Some of us have dubbed this a GFO nuke. I don't recommend it as it kills organisms and creates a cyano bloom. However, if done correctly it won't harm coral, fish or inverts.

So, for now we are just doing a 3 day blackout since chrysophytes are photosynthetic.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially yes. Hair algae is a normal process. But thats not to say its going to grow like crazy for you. Typically once the other types of algae start growing, you no longer need to worry about nutrients.

You're still going to do a 3 day blackout but without a GFO intervention. What happens with GFO as we flash the recommended amount of GFO per our water volume is it causes a rapid uptake of phosphate, silicate, and other elements creating a rapid dip in alkalinity. This quick change is like a shock treatment on the tank. It basically bursts the tiny protist cells. Some of us have dubbed this a GFO nuke. I don't recommend it as it kills organisms and creates a cyano bloom. However, if done correctly it won't harm coral, fish or inverts.

So, for now we are just doing a 3 day blackout since chrysophytes are photosynthetic.
Ok thanks. I will be in touch when my KNO3 arrives if that's ok?

Thanks for all your help so far [emoji106]

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Let me know! :)
Is this the instructions I follow or can I make it stronger?
Screenshot_20180912-195517.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's assume it's 99% KNO3. What I mix is 10 grams per 500mL. Now, I dose in a 30 gallon tank minus rock and equipment roughly 28g. I typically dose 10-15ml for 5-10ppm of no3.

Knowing this you can sort of base a concentration for your needs.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's assume it's 99% KNO3. What I mix is 10 grams per 500mL. Now, I dose in a 30 gallon tank minus rock and equipment roughly 28g. I typically dose 10-15ml for 5-10ppm of no3.

Thanks again. I will start the dosing tomorrow. [emoji4]

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another question I have. I apologise for being a complete noob.

Am I better to raise nitrates slowly or will I just work out how much I need to dose to get my nitrates up to the desired level and put it all in at once?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I have. I apologise for being a complete noob.

Am I better to raise nitrates slowly or will I just work out how much I need to dose to get my nitrates up to the desired level and put it all in at once?
I always dose 5ppm at a time. I've never seen any ill effect. If you are dosing phosphates, I wouldn't dose more than 0.03ppm at a time.
Also this is what I found on the website
Screenshot_20180913-122431_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Keep in mind, concentrations or mixing amounts are relative. You could probably dose 10ml or more at a time but I've never tried and that's not our target. High nutrients can still have a negative effect on coral.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dose 5ppm at a time. I've never seen any ill effect. If you are dosing phosphates, I wouldn't dose more than 0.03ppm at a time.

Keep in mind, concentrations or mixing amounts are relative. You could probably dose 10ml or more at a time but I've never tried and that's not our target. High nutrients can still have a negative effect on coral.
Ok so I was just wondering what are good levels to keep my nutrients at?

Also when should I do the blackout period? Is it better to have nutrients at a steady level for a few days then do the blackout or will I just get my nutrients up and then do the blackout straight away?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I was just wondering what are good levels to keep my nutrients at?

Also when should I do the blackout period? Is it better to have nutrients at a steady level for a few days then do the blackout or will I just get my nutrients up and then do the blackout straight away?
You want nutrients steady prior to the black out. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I would keep po4 around 0.05ppm and no3 between 5 and 10 ppm. You shouldn't have to dose during the blackout. But afterwards get test readings and dose back to those levels if you have to.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I would keep po4 around 0.05ppm and no3 between 5 and 10 ppm. You shouldn't have to dose during the blackout. But afterwards get test readings and dose back to those levels if you have to.
I noticed yesterday that the algae was really easy to blow off the rocks when I was doing a waterchange. Looks like a good sign.

On the other hand today there are a lot more bubbles over the rocks. Do you think this is normal?

Phosphates currently at 0.04ppm and nitrates were at 1ppm but have have raised to 3ppm today. I will raise them more tomorrow

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back