OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's normal. Remember to manually remove as much of the algae before the blackout.
I also noticed the algae has went from a pale beige colour to a darker browny red colour.

Thanks again for all your help. You have no idea how much it is appreciated. This has been a battle for months and it's unbelievable to see changes happening. Everything else I have tried has had basically no effect.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed the algae has went from a pale beige colour to a darker browny red colour.

Thanks again for all your help. You have no idea how much it is appreciated. This has been a battle for months and it's unbelievable to see changes happening. Everything else I have tried has had basically no effect.
That darker color is what I experienced also. I also noticed my trochus snails went to town on the rocks when that change happened. I'm confident that this procedure will work. :)

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That darker color is what I experienced also. I also noticed my trochus snails went to town on the rocks when that change happened. I'm confident that this procedure will work. :)
I hope so [emoji4].

I might get a few more cuc members. I was holding back in case it was dinos as I lost a few snails but I still have a few. I think they would be dead by now if it was a toxic strain of dinos

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really just been continuing to dose KNO3. Nitrates are sitting at around 5ppm.

The algae has all turned to the brown/red colour and I still have the bubbles.

I was thinking of maybe getting some more CUC tomorrow and doing the blackout next weekend. I would have done the blackout this weekend but I'm giving my acan a break since it has really started to recover. It must have been getting starved of nutrients all this time. Here was me thinking the algae Was suffocating it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really just been continuing to dose KNO3. Nitrates are sitting at around 5ppm.

The algae has all turned to the brown/red colour and I still have the bubbles.

I was thinking of maybe getting some more CUC tomorrow and doing the blackout next weekend. I would have done the blackout this weekend but I'm giving my acan a break since it has really started to recover. It must have been getting starved of nutrients all this time. Here was me thinking the algae Was suffocating it.
Can you get another picture to compare?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have slides. I had to put the sample on a plastic container to get the photo.
IMG_20180709_201849_08.jpeg
IMG_20180709_201904_35.jpeg

You invested in a microscope, but not slides? I'd be happy to send you some if you need. If not, then any flat piece of glass will work... perhaps the glass from a small picture frame.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You invested in a microscope, but not slides? I'd be happy to send you some if you need. If not, then any flat piece of glass will work... perhaps the glass from a small picture frame.
It's already been ID'd.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's not your normal style microscope. I bought a different style as I can use it for work as well.

I was going to buy slides but the process reeferfox has been guiding me through seems to be making changes. So I'll see how it turns out. I suppose there's no harm in buying slides anyway.

Thanks for the offer but I live in Scotland so it would be pretty pricey shipping lol

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the fluffyness has almost gone. It's just a brownish algae with bubbles now. Going to get my nitrates up to 7ppm and try to keep them there until next weekend. Then the fun begins [emoji4]
IMG_20180927_160214_76.jpeg
IMG_20180927_160152_77.jpeg
IMG_20180927_160127_65.jpeg
IMG_20180927_160058_19.jpeg
It's looking better. What are your phosphates measuring?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking better. What are your phosphates measuring?
Tests done

P04 is inbetween 0.04 and 0.08ppm so probably around 0.05 or 0.06

N03 about 4ppm. I think my tank consumes around 1ppm of nitrate every 2 days. Does this sound reasonable?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the algae on the powerhead. You can see it better on there. Before I started KN03 my powerheads would have the algae over them as well but it is not so bad now
IMG_20180927_191855_25.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests done

P04 is inbetween 0.04 and 0.08ppm so probably around 0.05 or 0.06

N03 about 4ppm. I think my tank consumes around 1ppm of nitrate every 2 days. Does this sound reasonable?
Every tank consumes differently. As long as you are monitoring consumption, you can maintain your tanks consumption.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank consumes differently. As long as you are monitoring consumption, you can maintain your tanks consumption.
Yeah I'll keep a steady level and do the blackout next weekend. I haven't got a canister filter so I'll just siphon water through a filter sock straight back into my sump to try and get most of the algae away

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferfoxx am I better doing a waterchange before I start my blackout? I was going to do a waterchange on Wednesday and just start my blackout straight after.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back