Dinos?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been trying to do some research on dinos and read about reef bugs. Is this something you would recommend? Or is it basically an all in one for what I just done with the pods, plankton etc?

Also when will I stop running carbon? I read that a carbon inbalance also causes dinos? So should I still be running it?
Not sure about reef bugs.

When you say “running carbon”, what does that mean? If you are are using granular activated carbon (GAC) either in a flow through reactor or in your sump, you should keep running it. GAC removes dino toxins. If you mean using vodka, vinegar, nopox, sugar, or other carbon source to grow bacteria that exports nutrients via your skimmer, you would want to stop that.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about reef bugs.

When you say “running carbon”, what does that mean? If you are are using granular activated carbon (GAC) either in a flow through reactor or in your sump, you should keep running it. GAC removes dino toxins. If you mean using vodka, vinegar, nopox, sugar, or other carbon source to grow bacteria that exports nutrients via your skimmer, you would want to stop that.
All good it's GAC in a reactor

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I had this. Do you think it would be worth dosing this to help outcompete the dinos?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot the photos lol
1541341605472~2.jpeg
1541341513497~2.jpeg

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, for some reason I wasn't getting any notifications on your thread. I dont think that bottle is necessary to use. BTW how is your tank doing?
The tank is pretty much still the same. I had to clean my powerheads as I wasn't getting as much flow as I used to. That was a few days ago. Still no signs of GHA on the rocks.

Do you think it is worth adding more biodiversity to the tank? If so what do you recommend?

I was also watching a video (dealing with dino by reefdudes) on YouTube. It was pretty interesting but they recommended using products such as Dr tims waste away/one and only or ATM outbreak. I haven't added any of those things. I've just been sitting tight, changing carbon every 4 days lol

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is pretty much still the same. I had to clean my powerheads as I wasn't getting as much flow as I used to. That was a few days ago. Still no signs of GHA on the rocks.

Do you think it is worth adding more biodiversity to the tank? If so what do you recommend?

I was also watching a video (dealing with dino by reefdudes) on YouTube. It was pretty interesting but they recommended using products such as Dr tims waste away/one and only or ATM outbreak. I haven't added any of those things. I've just been sitting tight, changing carbon every 4 days lol
I respect the guy but he didn't provide any evidence. And for what it's worth, I've been dino free for some time now but when I use Dr. Tims waste away, I see a small bloom pop up. Not even sure why I use it. i guess its because I have the bottle? Lol

Do you mind trying to get another microscope image of the growth? Maybe at higher magnification? Also, what is your light schedule? Maybe we can spur some algae growth.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect the guy but he didn't provide any evidence. And for what it's worth, I've been dino free for some time now but when I use Dr. Tims waste away, I see a small bloom pop up. Not even sure why I use it. i guess its because I have the bottle? Lol

Do you mind trying to get another microscope image of the growth? Maybe at higher magnification? Also, what is your light schedule? Maybe we can spur some algae growth.
I completely forgot I took more microscope images until I just read your post. Unfortunately that the highest magnification (1200x).

I was thinking of maybe increasing nitrates to maybe around 15ppm? What do you think? It doesn't look like much has changed in the last week or two. I know patients is key so I'm not too bothered. Just wondering If I should be seeing changes by now?

Here is my light schedule and the microscope photos. There's another little worm thing. Not sure if it's good or bad.
Screenshot_20181108-162733_myAI.jpeg
20181101_212617.jpeg
20181101_212621.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot I took more microscope images until I just read your post. Unfortunately that the highest magnification (1200x).

I was thinking of maybe increasing nitrates to maybe around 15ppm? What do you think? It doesn't look like much has changed in the last week or two. I know patients is key so I'm not too bothered. Just wondering If I should be seeing changes by now?

Here is my light schedule and the microscope photos. There's another little worm thing. Not sure if it's good or bad.
Screenshot_20181108-162733_myAI.jpeg
20181101_212617.jpeg
20181101_212621.jpeg
Ignore the worm thing :)

As far as your light schedule goes lets adjust it to suit green algae. The way you have it now is perfect for limiting green algae growth. For now lets get a solid line of 8 hours of full spectrum and bump reds up 5%. Hopefully that will increase green algae. Keep note of your current light schedule so you can revert back when the time is right.

As far as ID'ing your dinos, im leaning towards prorocentrum. But one looks flat on its side and if it has a visible flagella coming out the top it might be amphidinium.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the worm thing :)

As far as your light schedule goes lets adjust it to suit green algae. The way you have it now is perfect for limiting green algae growth. For now lets get a solid line of 8 hours of full spectrum and bump reds up 5%. Hopefully that will increase green algae. Keep note of your current light schedule so you can revert back when the time is right.

As far as ID'ing your dinos, im leaning towards prorocentrum. But one looks flat on its side and if it has a visible flagella coming out the top it might be amphidinium.
Ok I will make up a new schedule tonight. Will I have use a one hour ramp before and after the 8 hour period?

Ok more researching for me on prorocentrum and amphidinium lol. Which of the two is better to have or are the both delt with in the same way?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will make up a new schedule tonight. Will I have use a one hour ramp before and after the 8 hour period?

Ok more researching for me on prorocentrum and amphidinium lol. Which of the two is better to have or are the both delt with in the same way?
Yes, you can do the one hour ramp up plus the 8 hours. If you are worried about coral reaction you can space out the adjustment over a week or two.

You would much rather have prorocentrum. :(

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can do the one hour ramp up plus the 8 hours. If you are worried about coral reaction you can space out the adjustment over a week or two.

You would much rather have prorocentrum. :(
Is this what I am looking for with regards to lighting?

Also when raising calcium, can you raise it quickly or does it have to be done slow?
Screenshot_20181109-163652_myAI.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what I am looking for with regards to lighting?

Also when raising calcium, can you raise it quickly or does it have to be done slow?
Screenshot_20181109-163652_myAI.jpeg
That light schedule should do it!

As far as raising calcium, I personally don't go above 80ppm in a day. I have dosed this amount on several occasions without any negative effects on sps. You do 40ppm in the morning and then at night or split up 20ppm throughout the day. After dosing that amount, test your alk to see if it had a swing. :)

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light schedule should do it!

As far as raising calcium, I personally don't go above 80ppm in a day. I have dosed this amount on several occasions without any negative effects on sps. You do 40ppm in the morning and then at night or split up 20ppm throughout the day. After dosing that amount, test your alk to see if it had a swing. :)
Ok thanks. Hopefully that will start some algae growth.

I raised my calcium 30ppm this afternoon and I have just added a little more now. I will check all my parameters in the morning.

When do you think I should do a PWC? Not that I'm in a rush to do one (it's been nice not having to do them for a while lol)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you think I should do a PWC? Not that I'm in a rush to do one (it's been nice not having to do them for a while lol)
If I remember correctly you have a fairly light bioload? In comparison my tank had a slightly heftier bioload and I wait a month in between water changes. I wouod say, just wait till that one month mark :)

Remember, reefing is suppose to be enjoyable lol

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly you have a fairly light bioload? In comparison my tank had a slightly heftier bioload and I wait a month in between water changes. I wouod say, just wait till that one month mark :)

Remember, reefing is suppose to be enjoyable lol
Yeah I do have a light bioload. But continuing to feed more and dosing KN03 is what I plan for just now. I'm planning on moving house soon and have a 20g tank that I plan on keeping my fish and coral in for a while as I will be moving back into my mum's house while our house is being built. I think a 20g for the fish I have is pushing it even for a short period of time so don't want to get more at the moment.

Its been over a month since my last WC so I might do one next weekend. I tested Ca this morning and it has raised to 400ppm. I will check all other parameters tomorrow.

Haha yeah I still enjoy it even though it can be frustrating at times lol

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are today's water parameters. My nitrates are higher because I forgot a made the KN03 solution twice as strong this time [emoji87]
Screenshot_20181118-114759_Aquarium%20Note.jpeg

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also today I have put my skimmer on a timer so that it's only running when lights are out.

The tank is definitely looking better but I don't think the dinos are away completely yet. Thinking about maybe dosing phosphates as well as I have noticed a few worms (still can't get an ID) and I think it might be because I'm over feeding. What is best to use for dosing phosphates? The seachem flourish?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was yesterday's water parameters.

I not I ed some coroline algae on one of my powerheads so I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately my goby died. Not sure what happened to be honest. He looked fat and happy and was perfectly fine the day before he died. Other fish seem to be fine as well. The dinos are still present so wondering if maybe because it was sitting sand it was having an ill effect?

Although the dinos are still there the seem to be receding slowly but surely. I have ordered seachem flourish phosphorus finally as my phosphates are still low but also because I want to stop feeding so much. I think I mentioned before about the worms appearing everywhere. I can only assume this is due to the over feeding.

Nothing else new to report really just still holding tight and keeping an eye on parameters.
20181126_224121.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I mentioned before about the worms appearing everywhere. I can only assume this is due to the over feeding.
Yep. Actually, that is why I like bristleworms. If you over feed, they tend to eat the food before it breaks down. Side effect of over feeding is they grow in population.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back