Dinos?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are today's parameters. I added some more KNO3 but that's the first time I have added since before the blackout. And I done a WC after the blackout so my nutrients are not being consumed so quickly.

My next water change will Prob a my be next weekend. My corals seem to be doing fine and all my tests seem to be not to bad. I was thinking of raising my KH but not sure if I should just leave it since it floats around the 7-8 region constantly.
Screenshot_20181018-172426_Aquarium%20Note~2.jpeg
I think 7-8dkh is fine. If you bump it up, nutrients might fall a little faster. I kept my dkh between 6-7 during my outbreak. I see your calcium is a bit on the low side. You could try to bump it to 400-410.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 7-8dkh is fine. If you bump it up, nutrients might fall a little faster. I kept my dkh between 6-7 during my outbreak. I see your calcium is a bit on the low side. You could try to bump it to 400-410.
Ok cool what's best to use for that?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool what's best to use for that?
Since your alk is good, I would say 2 part dosing. Later on when the tank is filled with coral, you could switch to different options like a calcium reactor or do 2 part woth kalk in the ato.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your alk is good, I would say 2 part dosing. Later on when the tank is filled with coral, you could switch to different options like a calcium reactor or do 2 part woth kalk in the ato.
Would this be the best to get?

I recently switched salt mix and my new salt is supposed to have elevated calcium levels. Should I just hold off until I do another couple of water changes and see how it goes or should I try and get the calcium up sooner?
Screenshot_20181018-195900_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new salt mix element levels
Screenshot_20181018-200519_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be the best to get?

I recently switched salt mix and my new salt is supposed to have elevated calcium levels. Should I just hold off until I do another couple of water changes and see how it goes or should I try and get the calcium up sooner?
Screenshot_20181018-195900_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
You can use that. Any 2 part system works. I personally like ESV B-ionic and Seachems Reef Fusion A and B. I choose those because the calcium supplements already have magnesium added. Therefore no dosing of magnesium required. Also the reef fusion has trace elements added so you can prolong water changes.
This is the new salt mix element levels
Screenshot_20181018-200519_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Thats a good salt mix. Ideally you want the salt mix to match your tabk parameters. That way no swings happen when doing water changes.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this is the algae I have growing on my powerhead. It doesn't look like GHA. I think there is some GHA there too and I'm sure it's GHA growing on my return. That is the only places I have algae though.
IMG_20181021_201823_08.jpeg
IMG_20181021_201825_10.jpeg

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really to update dinos are still present at the moment. Was thinking about maybe adding more pods soon as I can't see any in the tank. I've tried looking after lights go off with a flashlight but can't see any. Althogh they were tiny and my eyesight is not the best lol.

I am going to do a water change on Friday as I won't have time at the weekend.

A quick question...... should I dose my newly mixed saltwater with my KNO3 solution before I do a water change? That way my nutrients won't drop or should I just dose more the day after I do a water change?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really to update dinos are still present at the moment. Was thinking about maybe adding more pods soon as I can't see any in the tank. I've tried looking after lights go off with a flashlight but can't see any. Althogh they were tiny and my eyesight is not the best lol.

I am going to do a water change on Friday as I won't have time at the weekend.

A quick question...... should I dose my newly mixed saltwater with my KNO3 solution before I do a water change? That way my nutrients won't drop or should I just dose more the day after I do a water change?
You could probably hold off on the water change. It's not something we need to do during dino blooms.

How has the dino growth been? Anymore green algae popping up?

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cobweb looking stuff but see no bubbles. Could it be something other then Dino? Never thought I say this but how do you get algae in your tank. I have none,well except all my rock is green but does not scrape off. I suspect it's coralline algae.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cobweb looking stuff but see no bubbles. Could it be something other then Dino? Never thought I say this but how do you get algae in your tank. I have none,well except all my rock is green but does not scrape off. I suspect it's coralline algae.
Bubbles don't always explain characteristics of dinoflagellates. Bubbles could mean you have more micro bubbles from a pump or some other type of algae or bacteria.

To get algae you need to supply nutrients and light. It's not something you need to seed into the tank.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably hold off on the water change. It's not something we need to do during dino blooms.

How has the dino growth been? Anymore green algae popping up?
Ok no problem. I was just going to do one to replenish trace elements. I suppose my corals still look happy enough though.

Dinos are still everywhere. I wouldn't say they are getting drastically worse but I think they are still growing slightly. It's hard to tell.

The GHA only seems to be growing on my powerheads and return. Can't see any on my rocks yet. It looks like some brown hair algae underneath my candy cane though. Is brown hair algae normal?
IMG_20181024_182522_93.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182531_85.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182538_29.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182547_21.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182600_21.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok no problem. I was just going to do one to replenish trace elements. I suppose my corals still look happy enough though.

Dinos are still everywhere. I wouldn't say they are getting drastically worse but I think they are still growing slightly. It's hard to tell.

The GHA only seems to be growing on my powerheads and return. Can't see any on my rocks yet. It looks like some brown hair algae underneath my candy cane though. Is brown hair algae normal?
IMG_20181024_182522_93.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182531_85.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182538_29.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182547_21.jpeg
IMG_20181024_182600_21.jpeg
It doesn't look that bad to me. I've seen much worse. As far as the brown hair algae goes, it could be the dinos covering it. That is something not uncommon either. The idea here is to limit our interactions with the tank. Although, without disrupting the sandbed, you could take a turkey baster to the pumps, outlet fittings, and the rocks. Doing this will allow surface bacteria to grow and hopefully hair algae spores can spread more. You might have to clean out filter after the water clears.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look that bad to me. I've seen much worse. As far as the brown hair algae goes, it could be the dinos covering it. That is something not uncommon either. The idea here is to limit our interactions with the tank. Although, without disrupting the sandbed, you could take a turkey baster to the pumps, outlet fittings, and the rocks. Doing this will allow surface bacteria to grow and hopefully hair algae spores can spread more. You might have to clean out filter after the water clears.
Ok I will do that tomorrow. I usually use a toothbrush to clean the outlet and powerheads. Am I better using a turkey baster? I will use a baster for the rocks and change my filter socks after everything settles.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and there is still the bubbles EVERYWHERE. Never thought I would say this but hopefully GHA starts growing on my rocks soon [emoji16]

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do that tomorrow. I usually use a toothbrush to clean the outlet and powerheads. Am I better using a turkey baster? I will use a baster for the rocks and change my filter socks after everything settles.
I think both are good tools but I want to try and keep hands out of the tank. :) And yes, green hair algae isnti bad in comparison and you'll enjoy the concept of starving gha out. Pretty interesting when you see it happening.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both are good tools but I want to try and keep hands out of the tank. :) And yes, green hair algae isnti bad in comparison and you'll enjoy the concept of starving gha out. Pretty interesting when you see it happening.
Ok cool. So will I stop feeding algae strips? I put one on the clip everyday so my hands are in the tank for that. Also I will only be able to blast the top rocks with the baster without putting my hands in the tank.

Do you think I van expect GHA to just slowly appear everywhere or do you think it will rapidly grow?

I take it algaes like GHA will outcompete the dinos for nutrients? So basically dinos are Not good at competing for nutrients but can thrive in systems with very little nutrients?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. So will I stop feeding algae strips? I put one on the clip everyday so my hands are in the tank for that. Also I will only be able to blast the top rocks with the baster without putting my hands in the tank.
Lol I'm not saying zero hands off. I'm just trying to limit hands in the tank. We've actually coined H.I.T.S or hand in tank syndrome. It's making you aware that anything on your hands can impact the tank. So, no I'm not saying dont feed the algae or turkey baste without hands but maybe use gloves or even elbo gloves for hard to reach areas.

Do you think I van expect GHA to just slowly appear everywhere or do you think it will rapidly grow?
It's difficult to say.

I take it algaes like GHA will outcompete the dinos for nutrients? So basically dinos are Not good at competing for nutrients but can thrive in systems with very little nutrients?
Yes exactly.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I'm not saying zero hands off. I'm just trying to limit hands in the tank. We've actually coined H.I.T.S or hand in tank syndrome. It's making you aware that anything on your hands can impact the tank. So, no I'm not saying dont feed the algae or turkey baste without hands but maybe use gloves or even elbo gloves for hard to reach areas.

It's difficult to say.

Yes exactly.
Ok elbow gloves is another item for the shopping list lol.

My hands are sometimes in the tank to reposition my frags after my urchin knocks them over as well lol.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me an example of something that'd be on hands that may impact a tank? I'm not aware of much unless you'd just been painting or cooking and then proceeded to not wash your hands.

This is just purely informational, I haven't heard if anything making such a large impact that it would affect biodiversity. Hands have their own biome of bacteria...and I feel like the tank changes that more than hands actually change the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back