Dinos?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok elbow gloves is another item for the shopping list lol.

My hands are sometimes in the tank to reposition my frags after my urchin knocks them over as well lol.
We all do it!

In my history of reefing or in the beginning, my first tank was live rock. I thought to myself that this is the easiest thing ever! Fast forward to my second ta k using all dry rock, it became the most frustrating thing ever. That said, I learned a ton of information. If I could compare the cost between the two tanks, the live rock tank was, for me, more affordable per se? With my dry rock tank, I had to invest in a lot of stuff to seed nutrients, organisms, bottle bacteria, extra maintenance tools, etc etc. Knowing what I know now and where my tank is today, it costs me more per day to keep my two cats happy than it does my tank. My interactions with my tank are so limited now I sometimes forget to even feed it ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I'm not saying zero hands off. I'm just trying to limit hands in the tank. We've actually coined H.I.T.S or hand in tank syndrome. It's making you aware that anything on your hands can impact the tank. So, no I'm not saying dont feed the algae or turkey baste without hands but maybe use gloves or even elbo gloves for hard to reach areas.

It's difficult to say.

Yes exactly.
Should these be ok? It says the can be used for food processing so I would assume they should be ok for the tank?
Screenshot_20181024-223442_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me an example of something that'd be on hands that may impact a tank? I'm not aware of much unless you'd just been painting or cooking and then proceeded to not wash your hands.

This is just purely informational, I haven't heard if anything making such a large impact that it would affect biodiversity. Hands have their own biome of bacteria...and I feel like the tank changes that more than hands actually change the tank.
Zinc from hand lotions can impact a tank. Any residue from smoking or uf you have motor oil on your hands.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to ID this worm from the pic!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been trying to do some research on dinos and read about reef bugs. Is this something you would recommend? Or is it basically an all in one for what I just done with the pods, plankton etc?

Also when will I stop running carbon? I read that a carbon inbalance also causes dinos? So should I still be running it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back