OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. If you see green hair algae, don't worry. It's part of maturing the tank and shifting nutrient consumption to other algae rather than dino.
Funny you should mention GHA got some on one of my powerheads and coming from my return pipe.

There's a few coloured algaes on my powerhead green, red, brown and what looks to be the start of coroline algae

Although it's quite ugly to look at it still amazes me that all this happens in our little mini eco systems

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so I am supposed to be running carbon again? I thought I had to stop after 3 days?

I took my reactor out after the 3 days I didn't know I was supposed to go keep running carbon. My bad. I will set up the reactor again tomorrow
Make sure “running carbon” means using granular activated carbon, not carbon dosing. Agree that GAC needs replaced frequently for now.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should mention GHA got some on one of my powerheads and coming from my return pipe.

There's a few coloured algaes on my powerhead green, red, brown and what looks to be the start of coroline algae

Although it's quite ugly to look at it still amazes me that all this happens in our little mini eco systems
Thats all good signs. You want this stuff. Look at it like food for micro-organisms. It will be ugly for a bit but there is light at the end of tunnel.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure “running carbon” means using granular activated carbon, not carbon dosing. Agree that GAC needs replaced frequently for now.
Thanks for the advice. It is GAC I have been running. I got that bit right a least lol

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all good signs. You want this stuff. Look at it like food for micro-organisms. It will be ugly for a bit but there is light at the end of tunnel.
All good I understand. Its still looked way more ugly than this before so I'm quite happy to sit tight and watch new things appear/disappear.

Should I add pods, rotifers, plankton etc regularly or do I just need to do this and hopefully they will multiply naturally?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can make out the colours in the pics
IMG_20181016_202520_20.jpeg
IMG_20181016_202505_71.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good I understand. Its still looked way more ugly than this before so I'm quite happy to sit tight and watch new things appear/disappear.

Should I add pods, rotifers, plankton etc regularly or do I just need to do this and hopefully they will multiply naturally?
That would depend on your fish stocking. I myself don't have pod demanding fish, so I replenish once a year.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on your fish stocking. I myself don't have pod demanding fish, so I replenish once a year.
I see, well right now I have the two stripe goby, tomini tang and royal gramma.

Not even sure what else I plan on having. Probably a pair of clowns. I love anthias but don't have the time to keep up with their feeding habits.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start planning :) We don't want to dose nutrients forever lol
Yeah well I was holding off to get more fish as we have decided to sell our house soon. Might have to dose for a little longer. I would rather not put any more fish through that than what I already have.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well I was holding off to get more fish as we have decided to sell our house soon. Might have to dose for a little longer. I would rather not put any more fish through that than what I already have.
Oh I see. Probably best to get your rocks in good shape for the move then :)

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon running again.........check
Change every 4 days.........check

Sit tight and cross every finger, toe, leg and arm.........check

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon running again.........check
Change every 4 days.........check

Sit tight and cross every finger, toe, leg and arm.........check
Lol! You're doing well. Hows the new live rock additions? Anything bad growing on it?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing growing on it but I put it all in my sump. Should I put a piece in my display?
In the beginning I would have said yes but now, since you added pods and such, maybe letting it settle in the sump for a week or two would allow things to multiply without having any display stress. Meaning, a constant battle between fish and dinos. After that I would move it to the display and have it sit up against the other rocks. That way it can seed into the display.

The display to sump environment can actually be different. Even when testing N and P. So, organisms can thrive in the sump whereas not so well in the display. Not always the case but it's been experienced before.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning I would have said yes but now, since you added pods and such, maybe letting it settle in the sump for a week or two would allow things to multiply without having any display stress. Meaning, a constant battle between fish and dinos. After that I would move it to the display and have it sit up against the other rocks. That way it can seed into the display.

The display to sump environment can actually be different. Even when testing N and P. So, organisms can thrive in the sump whereas not so well in the display. Not always the case but it's been experienced before.
When I introduced live rock from the LFS here, that's actually what introduced Dino's for me.

Biodiversity is important, but so it vetting where you get your products lol

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. I will leave it in the sump for now. I will maybe get a few more pieces on pay day and put a piece from my sump into my display and put new pieces against the the seeded rocks.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I introduced live rock from the LFS here, that's actually what introduced Dino's for me.

Biodiversity is important, but so it vetting where you get your products lol
To be fair, Dinos are found almost everywhere. Live rock, ocean rock, coral, anything thats been in a thriving system will have dinos. They are just as prevalent as most other organisms. Cyano, dinos, chrysosphyes, and other types of plankton are more or less ocean "fix-its". In nature they grow more with an influx of something. It could be temp, nitrates, low salinity etc etc. In our tanks its slightly different but with the same context.

As far as the LFS goes, if you go to any of the stores and grab a sample of the grunge growing or accumulating in the sand, you'll see them under the scope.

The goal here is to shift competition to more beneficial organisms.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are today's parameters. I added some more KNO3 but that's the first time I have added since before the blackout. And I done a WC after the blackout so my nutrients are not being consumed so quickly.

My next water change will Prob a my be next weekend. My corals seem to be doing fine and all my tests seem to be not to bad. I was thinking of raising my KH but not sure if I should just leave it since it floats around the 7-8 region constantly.
Screenshot_20181018-172426_Aquarium%20Note~2.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back