OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off on the snails they don't eat dinos. Honestly, I think the little bloom will be short lived. It's not uncommon for young tanks to see dinos especially if Coral were added prematurely. Most folks see them as diatoms, unless ID'd.

I would consider adding pods in steps. Purchase live rock and marine blocks, then add pods to display and sump, then start dosing rotifers followed up with plankton. The pods will go to town on rotifers and plankton but if I'm not mistaken rotifers will also eat plankton. So you are supplying the whole tank with food that it needs and enough food for procreation. That's the goal right now.

If the bloom persists between now and a week after the new additions, I suspect this bloom to only last a month at most. I think in the long run you'll be very happy with your decisions and start seeing corals and fish thriving. What you are adding is something that a lot of reefers neglect to add resulting in issues after issues. Trust me, I was that reefer lol.
Cool and thanks again for all this help.

Do you think I put corals in prematurely? I waited about 6 months before I put coral in my tank.

I had no idea that pods played a big role in a reef system. I just thought they were live food and that was it.

Well I have ordered the pods now so if o can't get live rock from my LFS at the weekend will I just take a piece out of my display and put it in my sump to add the pods?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I put corals in prematurely? I waited about 6 months before I put coral in my tank.
No I don't. Growths like chrysos are never expected but can happen. Considering how chrysos and dinos work by out competing other natural processes, you have see your tank almost as starting over. Like a clean canvas. Only difference is we have the bacteria to sustain life.

I had no idea that pods played a big role in a reef system. I just thought they were live food and that was it.
If you go to the US distributor http://www.algaebarn.com they outline each strain of pod and their roles.

Well I have ordered the pods now so if o can't get live rock from my LFS at the weekend will I just take a piece out of my display and put it in my sump to add the pods?
Yes, thats perfectly fine.
Also I'm unsure if I will be able to get my hands on seeded sand.
If the LFS has a tank with sand, see if you can't get a cup of the sand? If they can do that, make sure they dig kind of deep.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. Growths like chrysos are never expected but can happen. Considering how chrysos and dinos work by out competing other natural processes, you have see your tank almost as starting over. Like a clean canvas. Only difference is we have the bacteria to sustain life.

If you go to the US distributor http://www.algaebarn.com they outline each strain of pod and their roles.

If the LFS has a tank with sand, see if you can't get a cup of the sand? If they can do that, make sure they dig kind of deep.
Cool thanks.

Unfortunately my LFS only has a very thin layer of sand in all of their tanks. I might be able to locate someone local on Facebook though

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

Got a couple of pieces of LR and 2 little bags of copepods today. The LR is now in the sump and the pods are in have been split between the sump and the display. Hopefully I'll get my other order on Tuesday or Wednesday

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok so I got these today.

So I add all the pods with pumps and lights off?

Then how long do I leave it before adding the rotifers and phytoplankton?
20181016_155447.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got these today.

So I add all the pods with pumps and lights off?

Then how long do I leave it before adding the rotifers and phytoplankton?
20181016_155447.jpeg
Once the pods are added, i would wait 10 minutes theb add some rotifers, wait 10 minutes then turn the lights on, then pumps, then start adding some phyto.

You can add all the pods at once but I would split up rotifers to every day for 5 days.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the pods are added, i would wait 10 minutes theb add some rotifers, wait 10 minutes then turn the lights on, then pumps, then start adding some phyto.

You can add all the pods at once but I would split up rotifers to every day for 5 days.
Ok that's the pods in. I also got the 12 amphipods () today as well. Will I just add them in too then add the rotifers?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks.

So do you have a plan to eradicate the dinos?

Is the dinos just a result from the previous treatment? It actually looks worse than the other algae I had.
As far the plan goes, you are doing it. Can you get another picture? I'd like to see how its progressed since the last photo.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far the plan goes, you are doing it. Can you get another picture? I'd like to see how its progressed since the last photo.
Yeah sure. I'll send one when I'm home. Picking up the dog from the groomers right now

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just more snotty looking and there seems to be more bubbles than before
IMG_20181016_182758_63.jpeg
IMG_20181016_182751_43.jpeg
The bubbles are normal. Just to be safe though, make sure you are changing GAC out every 4 days. If any toxins are released, the carbon will keep it minimum. Just keep maintaining elevated nutrients. You should see a reduction in the next week or two. Its a slow process but so is the hobby.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles are normal. Just to be safe though, make sure you are changing GAC out every 4 days. If any toxins are released, the carbon will keep it minimum. Just keep maintaining elevated nutrients. You should see a reduction in the next week or two. Its a slow process but so is the hobby.
Oh so I am supposed to be running carbon again? I thought I had to stop after 3 days?

I took my reactor out after the 3 days I didn't know I was supposed to go keep running carbon. My bad. I will set up the reactor again tomorrow

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so I am supposed to be running carbon again? I thought I had to stop after 3 days?

I took my reactor out after the 3 days I didn't know I was supposed to go keep running carbon. My bad. I will set up the reactor again tomorrow
Well, i didn't think dinos would pop up ;Facepalm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back