OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget how big your tank is ;Facepalm. Usually just the recommended measurement by ounces is what I do.

Monitor the chrysos. If the areas left behind aren't spreading, then go ahead and remove the remaining areas. If it looks like it's growing back, leave it. Lets see how much it grows back.

How many snails would you say you have?
My tank is 100gal including sump. I think I have about 7 snails altogether.

I have set up my reactor with carbon. I couldn't really find the correct amount online to use so I have put in what someone recommended on a forum to someone else. Will I remove this on Monday?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 100gal including sump. I think I have about 7 snails altogether.

I have set up my reactor with carbon. I couldn't really find the correct amount online to use so I have put in what someone recommended on a forum to someone else. Will I remove this on Monday?
If locally available, I would probably add another 10 astrea or trochus(preferred). 7 may or may not be able to keep up.

Yes, I think you'll be able to take it off line Monday.

BTW you are doing a great job. Hopefully, we knocked this out and coralline algae is the only thing taking over.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If locally available, I would probably add another 10 astrea or trochus(preferred). 7 may or may not be able to keep up.

Yes, I think you'll be able to take it off line Monday.

BTW you are doing a great job. Hopefully, we knocked this out and coralline algae is the only thing taking over.
Ok hopefully I can get to my LFS tomorrow. If not it will have to be Monday. I do have a conch and a long spine urchin as well.

Thank you. I can't remember the tank ever looking this good! Although I am having to clean my glass a lot more since the elevated nutrients but that I can put up with lol.

The best thing I did was join this forum and I am so greatful for all you help. Its actually unbelievable how much you learn in this hobby. It always seems like I learn how to overcome one thing then something else pops up.

Its all a learning curve and even though I've got frustrated at times I never want to give this hobby up. IMO it's the best hobby out there

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hopefully I can get to my LFS tomorrow. If not it will have to be Monday. I do have a conch and a long spine urchin as well.

Thank you. I can't remember the tank ever looking this good! Although I am having to clean my glass a lot more since the elevated nutrients but that I can put up with lol.

The best thing I did was join this forum and I am so greatful for all you help. Its actually unbelievable how much you learn in this hobby. It always seems like I learn how to overcome one thing then something else pops up.

Its all a learning curve and even though I've got frustrated at times I never want to give this hobby up. IMO it's the best hobby out there
I personally love the learning curve! I love learning the biology aspects and trying to help others with what I've learned. In the past you would hear about so many people shutting their tanks down due to some crazy growth. Today you find more and more people having success and some willing to do experiments to prevent and help others. The hobby is very dynamic and to be honest, without tank issues, it might be boring haha!

If the chrysos don't show again, I would say let the tank do it's thing. Dry rock tanks go through several ugly phases and the best thing we can do is let it be. Those ugly phases are correctors. They correct the tanks environment to create a more stable and balanced ecosystem. The only thing that disrupts it is us. Our eyes tell our brains that something is wrong when in fact, it's doing just fine. Dinoflagellates on the other hand, tells us we really disrupted the tank.

Keep me posted on progression or regression. :)

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love the learning curve! I love learning the biology aspects and trying to help others with what I've learned. In the past you would hear about so many people shutting their tanks down due to some crazy growth. Today you find more and more people having success and some willing to do experiments to prevent and help others. The hobby is very dynamic and to be honest, without tank issues, it might be boring haha!

If the chrysos don't show again, I would say let the tank do it's thing. Dry rock tanks go through several ugly phases and the best thing we can do is let it be. Those ugly phases are correctors. They correct the tanks environment to create a more stable and balanced ecosystem. The only thing that disrupts it is us. Our eyes tell our brains that something is wrong when in fact, it's doing just fine. Dinoflagellates on the other hand, tells us we really disrupted the tank.

Keep me posted on progression or regression. :)
Yeah I also love learning different aspects of the hobby.

I will keep you updated. It looks like I have a chat on outbreak on my sand bed. Everything else looks as if did after the blackout except for extra bubbles. I won't have time to test water today but I will as soon as I am home from work tomorrow.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I also love learning different aspects of the hobby.

I will keep you updated. It looks like I have a chat on outbreak on my sand bed. Everything else looks as if did after the blackout except for extra bubbles. I won't have time to test water today but I will as soon as I am home from work tomorrow.
More snails should clear the rocks. I'm curious about the sandbed. Not sure if any action should be taken just yet. Might want to check those nutrients though.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More snails should clear the rocks. I'm curious about the sandbed. Not sure if any action should be taken just yet. Might want to check those nutrients though.
Yeah unfortunately I haven't been able to get to my LFS (nearest one is 30 miles away and I have that annoying thing called work that always seems to get in the way)

My sand looked so clean after the blackout but i noticed today that one of my powerheads has been moving sand and you can see the difference between the moved and unmoved sand. It wasn't like that before I would have noticed because my goby sifts through it.

Yes I'm going to test nutrients as soon as I'm home from work tomorrow. It would have been done today but I'm not at home.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just tested nutrients.

P04 - 0.1 (ish) ppm
N03 - 8 (ish) ppm

Here is some pics of my sand bed as well. You can see the moved (clean) sand and what looks like diatoms to me but I could be wrong.
IMG_20181009_155846_02.jpeg
IMG_20181009_155829_24.jpeg
IMG_20181009_155816_72.jpeg

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same thing in my tank now and have researched it ad nauseum. Last night I found information that led me to believe this is something called Chryosphytes.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G
0.10 it's probably more like 0.11/0.12
Good news and bad news...

Bad news is I have no idea. The nutrient levels would suggest diatoms but without a microscope, I cannot say for certain.

Good news is it's not chrysos!! Chrysos can really put a pause in the maturation process. Whether it's Dino's or diatoms, doesn't really concern me. You have the nutrients and that's a big help in the grand scheme of things. Right now the tank is picking up where it was left off before chrysos. Best thing to do is focus on adding some biodiversity. A good start is a couple pounds of live rock. You can add it to the display for a week and then move it to the sump. Then start adding pods and plankton.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G

Good news and bad news...

Bad news is I have no idea. The nutrient levels would suggest diatoms but without a microscope, I cannot say for certain.

Good news is it's not chrysos!! Chrysos can really put a pause in the maturation process. Whether it's Dino's or diatoms, doesn't really concern me. You have the nutrients and that's a big help in the grand scheme of things. Right now the tank is picking up where it was left off before chrysos. Best thing to do is focus on adding some biodiversity. A good start is a couple pounds of live rock. You can add it to the display for a week and then move it to the sump. Then start adding pods and plankton.
Funny you should say that o ordered a new microscope last night for future use. That should arrive this week.

I was thinking about buying on of those marine blocks to put in my sump.

Yes well hopefully nature will take it's course and everything will start to settle in. Even the difference b4 the blackout after dosing KN03 was huge so at least I now know that 0 nutrients is a bad thing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should say that o ordered a new microscope last night for future use. That should arrive this week.

I was thinking about buying on of those marine blocks to put in my sump.

Yes well hopefully nature will take it's course and everything will start to settle in. Even the difference b4 the blackout after dosing KN03 was huge so at least I now know that 0 nutrients is a bad thing.
Marine blocks are great but there are sponges, micro fauna and Flora, isopods, and bacteria you will be missing out on.

reeferfoxx_30gtank.jpg

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine blocks are great but there are sponges, micro fauna and Flora, isopods, and bacteria you will be missing out on.

reeferfoxx_30gtank.jpg
Wow [emoji7][emoji7]

Ok cool. I will just go for the live rock then.

Also do I just order the pods and plankton online? Is there a recommended brand/type? I've never added them before either

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow [emoji7][emoji7]

Ok cool. I will just go for the live rock then.

Also do I just order the pods and plankton online? Is there a recommended brand/type? I've never added them before either
Thank you! You can still add the Marine blocks in fact after you seed the display for a week, it will help seed the blocks.

For pods, I like to go for blends. They all have some type of purpose but here in the US we have reef feast blends that will have several different strains in one container. With copepods you will also want amphipods. Maybe even live rotifers if you can get them. Don't forget the phyto plankton.. I myself order everything. My nearest LFS is 1.5 hours away. However, I think LFSs supply the most for your money.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back