OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the blackout commence. Spent a good 2 hours scrubbing and siphoning. I never got all the algae but most of it I think.

Obviously I will turn my lights off and I have left a gap at the back for C02 exchange.

I will change my filter socks tomorrow. I should have taken a pic of the filter sock after siphoning. It was pretty grim lol.

Will I have to keep dosing nitrates to my system after this or should that stop after the blackout?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot the pic
1538505691797~2.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I have to keep dosing nitrates to my system after this or should that stop after the blackout?
Just test all your parameters after the black out. Dose accordingly monitor nutrients there after. It's difficult to say how the tank will progress especially with additional coral absorbing nutrients.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is doing a nice job.

I take it this is normal with the blackout?
1538668814708~2.jpeg
Yep! :)

Whats happening is the chrysos can no longer photosynthesize and since you aren't nutrient limited anymore, we are shifting competition to other organisms like bacteria and coral. The skimmer is removing the dead organics. Everything is looking good so far :)

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! :)

Whats happening is the chrysos can no longer photosynthesize and since you aren't nutrient limited anymore, we are shifting competition to other organisms like bacteria and coral. The skimmer is removing the dead organics. Everything is looking good so far :)
Amazing! Hopefully this is finally an end to endless toothbrush scrubbing and ugliness.

I will start mixing water tomorrow and I will remove the bags on Saturday morning and do a water change.

The temp has been steady but then again I live in scotland so there is no way it will overheat here lol

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the bags off this morning. The lights are Not on yet so I can't tell if there is algae still there or jot but no obvious signs.

Definatly elevated nutrient levels though. Looks to be 0.16ppm for P05 and around 10-12ppm for N03. Might not look like that on the photos but that looks like the value as when you see them in person.

Away to do a water change and the hour the lights on [emoji15]
20181006_092657.jpeg
20181006_092713.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the bags off this morning. The lights are Not on yet so I can't tell if there is algae still there or jot but no obvious signs.

Definatly elevated nutrient levels though. Looks to be 0.16ppm for P05 and around 10-12ppm for N03. Might not look like that on the photos but that looks like the value as when you see them in person.

Away to do a water change and the hour the lights on [emoji15]
20181006_092657.jpeg
20181006_092713.jpeg
Yep! The dead chrysos recycled nutrients back into the water. The worst that could happen from here on is cyano or green algae. I'm hoping for green hair algae. Green hair algae we can starve out. Cyano is a bit tricky. I recommend not disturbing the sandbed from here on out(if you have one?). If cyano is going to pop up, an undisturbed sandbed will have the organisms to combat the growth.

On the plus side, I wouldn't dose any nutrients. You could actually wait till Monday or Tuesday to test again.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you don't have carbon running, this would be a good time for it. You'll want to change it out in 2 days. Organics are high in the tank right now.

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! The dead chrysos recycled nutrients back into the water. The worst that could happen from here on is cyano or green algae. I'm hoping for green hair algae. Green hair algae we can starve out. Cyano is a bit tricky. I recommend not disturbing the sandbed from here on out(if you have one?). If cyano is going to pop up, an undisturbed sandbed will have the organisms to combat the growth.

On the plus side, I wouldn't dose any nutrients. You could actually wait till Monday or Tuesday to test again.
I never touched the sand bed when I did the water change. I just siphoned out some gunk that was on top of it in a few places.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this has worked. Unless I should still see a couple of traces of the chrysos and tiny bubbles have appeared on the rocks since the lights went on?

It has definatly made a HUGE difference. Will it just be a case of repeating this process if it does come back?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never touched the sand bed when I did the water change. I just siphoned out some gunk that was on top of it in a few places.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this has worked. Unless I should still see a couple of traces of the chrysos and tiny bubbles have appeared on the rocks since the lights went on?

It has definatly made a HUGE difference. Will it just be a case of repeating this process if it does come back?
No. Chances are it's isolated and the bubbles on the rocks are just nitrogen gas from bacteria doing the job. Are your snails grazing?

OP
OP
Sottish_Reefer

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you don't have carbon running, this would be a good time for it. You'll want to change it out in 2 days. Organics are high in the tank right now.
Ok I will set up my reactor in the next couple of hours. How much do you think should put in my reactor. 4 inches or so?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will set up my reactor in the next couple of hours. How much do you think should put in my reactor. 4 inches or so?
I forget how big your tank is ;Facepalm. Usually just the recommended measurement by ounces is what I do.

Yes they are
Monitor the chrysos. If the areas left behind aren't spreading, then go ahead and remove the remaining areas. If it looks like it's growing back, leave it. Lets see how much it grows back.

How many snails would you say you have?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back