DinoX

Discussion in 'Fauna Marin' started by miyags, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It is possible that some macro algae get affected by Dino X. For that reason, we recommend removing this algae before starting your first dose. A couple weeks after treatment, you can re-introduce the macro algae.

2. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Any help with this?

3. ShellSea

ShellSea Member

I have a 120 gallon mixed reef with total water volume estimated 140 gallons. What I believe were dinos were only on my sand bed. Tried reduced lighting, vacuuming and hydrogen peroxide for a few weeks with no help. I used DinoX exactly as per instructions for a little over a week now and tremendous improvement. Good stuff!
    As a sidebar, I am seeing an opaque, slimy bacteria film building up in the sump, floating on top of water. Good Bad or Ugly? Any recommendation on appropriate action? Thanks in advance Fauna Marin!

4. Fauna Marin

Glad to hear you're liking the results!

A buildup of bacterial film does not happen often when dosing Dino X and could be normal depending on the amount of nutrients in the system. Not long after your treatment period ends, the film will disappear.

5. kecked

kecked Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Never mind

6. Paul Willemsen

Paul Willemsen New Member

Dear Fauna Marin,

I read both the English and German instructions of Dino X just to be sure I'm doing it right... but unfortunately, English and German instructions are not entirely the same.

1)
    The English version says NOT to exceed 21 days of treatment. This means max 10 dosing cycles.
    The German version don't tel anything about the max period of treatment.

2)
    The English version says to restart waterchange and using active carbon again after 2 days after the last dosing of Dino X.
    The Germain version says to restart regular maintenance after 1 week.

3)
    I have another question: do you recomment extra (big) waterchanges after the Dino X treatment. Or is it OK to just restart weekly 10-15% waterchange.

Thank you

7. CherBear811

CherBear811 Active Member

The link goes to instructions for AlgaeX but I need instructions for DinoX; are they exactly the same? Thanks!

8. miyags

miyags Valuable Member

I would not reintroduce anything back in the tank that could have dino spores left on them.

9. Fauna Marin

CherBear811 likes this.
  10. CherBear811

CherBear811 Active Member

Question..... Since DinoX also works on algae... are some people having problems because corals contain algae (zooxanthellae) which would explain why the coral bleaches white? I have this in my cart at BRS at the moment but I don't want to damage my coral. I have seen other people say using Dino X killed their coral but I didn't put it together that it may be the zooxanthellae that was killed off because it is a kind of algae. So... Honestly, how do you use this without harming coral, especially sps?

11. Fauna Marin

Dino X is reef safe and will not affect the algae that is in the coral.

Corals die after using Dino X either due to over dosing, toxin-release from the dino, or missing an important step in the directions.

CherBear811 likes this.
  12. ShellSea

ShellSea Member

Fauna Marin hello again. I posted in this thread back in March this year, post #23. My tank has rocked along nicely since Dinox treatment back then. I am starting to see small patches in the sand returning. Just got a fresh delivery of Dinox from BRS. I have added a tridacna maxima recently. About 4 inch animal.
    In problems & notes section referenced in link above it says in bullet #2 clams can be harmed after longer use or overdosing.
    In bullet #6 it says tridacna can be harmed if you treat dino’s. A bit of contradiction there.
    Nevertheless, Is it the toxin from dying dino’s that may harm the clam rather than the product ? Providing of course no overdose occurs. If it is the dying Dino’s and I have very small amount, could I leave clam in during treatment?
    I welcome your thoughts.
    Thanks

13. Fauna Marin

Hi,
    Toxins from the dino are the cause of coral and invert stress, not the product.

Dino X should only be used for moderate - heavy outbreaks. You can use Dino X for Mild cases, however we recommend finding the cause of the problem first; low pH, less flow in certain areas, undetectable NO3 / PO4, bacterial imbalance, etc.

ShellSea likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted