DinoX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will DinoX kill of the macro algae in my sump too?
It is possible that some macro algae get affected by Dino X. For that reason, we recommend removing this algae before starting your first dose. A couple weeks after treatment, you can re-introduce the macro algae.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions listed is for Algea X. Is that the same as Dino X?

I'm planning on trying it on my dinoflagellates. I have a question:
Do I do a water change and turn back on all the systems after 2 days? Or after 10 days?

Any help with this?

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon mixed reef with total water volume estimated 140 gallons. What I believe were dinos were only on my sand bed. Tried reduced lighting, vacuuming and hydrogen peroxide for a few weeks with no help. I used DinoX exactly as per instructions for a little over a week now and tremendous improvement. Good stuff!
As a sidebar, I am seeing an opaque, slimy bacteria film building up in the sump, floating on top of water. Good Bad or Ugly? Any recommendation on appropriate action? Thanks in advance Fauna Marin!

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon mixed reef with total water volume estimated 140 gallons. What I believe were dinos were only on my sand bed. Tried reduced lighting, vacuuming and hydrogen peroxide for a few weeks with no help. I used DinoX exactly as per instructions for a little over a week now and tremendous improvement. Good stuff!
As a sidebar, I am seeing an opaque, slimy bacteria film building up in the sump, floating on top of water. Good Bad or Ugly? Any recommendation on appropriate action? Thanks in advance Fauna Marin!

Glad to hear you're liking the results!

A buildup of bacterial film does not happen often when dosing Dino X and could be normal depending on the amount of nutrients in the system. Not long after your treatment period ends, the film will disappear.

Paul Willemsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Fauna Marin,

I read both the English and German instructions of Dino X just to be sure I'm doing it right... but unfortunately, English and German instructions are not entirely the same.

1)
The English version says NOT to exceed 21 days of treatment. This means max 10 dosing cycles.
The German version don't tel anything about the max period of treatment.

2)
The English version says to restart waterchange and using active carbon again after 2 days after the last dosing of Dino X.
The Germain version says to restart regular maintenance after 1 week.

3)
I have another question: do you recomment extra (big) waterchanges after the Dino X treatment. Or is it OK to just restart weekly 10-15% waterchange.

Thank you

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that some macro algae get affected by Dino X. For that reason, we recommend removing this algae before starting your first dose. A couple weeks after treatment, you can re-introduce the macro algae.
I would not reintroduce anything back in the tank that could have dino spores left on them.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino X primarily targets most forms of Dinoflagellates, but can also be used against other types of algae as well.

Yes, some inverts such as Clams can be harmed during the treatment period. This is not because of the ingredients inside Dino X, but rather the toxins and waste that is released as algae and dino begins to die-off. For that reason, we always recommend users remove as much of the algae or dino as possible before starting the treatment. There are certain kinds of Dino strains which release toxins when they die-off, it is this toxin which poses a threat to inverts.

Question..... Since DinoX also works on algae... are some people having problems because corals contain algae (zooxanthellae) which would explain why the coral bleaches white? I have this in my cart at BRS at the moment but I don't want to damage my coral. I have seen other people say using Dino X killed their coral but I didn't put it together that it may be the zooxanthellae that was killed off because it is a kind of algae. So... Honestly, how do you use this without harming coral, especially sps?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino X is reef safe and will not affect the algae that is in the coral.

Corals die after using Dino X either due to over dosing, toxin-release from the dino, or missing an important step in the directions.

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin hello again. I posted in this thread back in March this year, post #23. My tank has rocked along nicely since Dinox treatment back then. I am starting to see small patches in the sand returning. Just got a fresh delivery of Dinox from BRS. I have added a tridacna maxima recently. About 4 inch animal.
In problems & notes section referenced in link above it says in bullet #2 clams can be harmed after longer use or overdosing.
In bullet #6 it says tridacna can be harmed if you treat dino’s. A bit of contradiction there.
Nevertheless, Is it the toxin from dying dino’s that may harm the clam rather than the product ? Providing of course no overdose occurs. If it is the dying Dino’s and I have very small amount, could I leave clam in during treatment?
I welcome your thoughts.
Thanks

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Toxins from the dino are the cause of coral and invert stress, not the product.

Dino X should only be used for moderate - heavy outbreaks. You can use Dino X for Mild cases, however we recommend finding the cause of the problem first; low pH, less flow in certain areas, undetectable NO3 / PO4, bacterial imbalance, etc.

DukeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DinoX is amazing for me...i was having dino outbreak due to my nitrite sitting at 0 for couple weeks,everyday since the battle started i had to vacuum my sandbed,clean the rocks,changing filter socks 2 times
a day,dosing nitrite addding drTim ,none of that seem working and the dino keep taking over the tank,and all over my powerheads...
So i upgraded my filter socks to Clarisea, and was planning to install an uv,but i somehow watched a video on youtube about curing his tank by using DinoX, beside his positive video i also found so many negative videos about DinoX, well then why not give it a try because there were peoples has successfully removed their dino.I did my research,asked couple lfs about the product, they all say it safe for fishes and corals (at this point hard to tell if that even true or they just want to sell their items). So if u never try u never know....
Day 1:
-removed my Torq reactor with carbon and gfo on it.
-remove cheato reactor along with cheato.
-reduced my light to 6h only.
-drain all the water in my sump and tank to near empty so i could calculate i guess almost exactly the amount of water in my system.So i had almost 75gallon in my red sea xl300.
-turn off the lights a hour before my schedule and wait exactly 1hour to begin the dose.
-i dosed 15ml in total.
note: at this point i gave up on cleanning the sandbed and the rocks.Also all my zoas closed cuz dino all over them.
Day 2:
Dino still there but stopped spreading ,also their color has turn lighter brown.No dosing today...
Day 3:
-Dino reduced massively,but there are some still stuck on my sps,also on the sand.
-cleaned the glass cuz not sure dino or algea still on the glass.
-dino kept losing it color.
-Dose another 15ml.
Day 4: (today)
-was prepare to dose another 15ml but it was shock after i get home from work...no sign of dino at all !!! where did they go? 90% Zoas open up and happy,no lps or sps damaged or turn white or brown !
Now im thinking if i have to dose another 15ml or just wait a week to do a large water change.
My question is can i run carbon now or wait for a week as well because the water did get cloudy during this short treatment.
-
2 doses in 4 days,and it is just so impressive that made me write this post/review,also this is my
first post on r2r.

10/10 for DinoX.Thank you for making this awesome product.

Happy reefing guys !

DukeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DinoX is amazing for me...i was having dino outbreak due to my nitrite sitting at 0 for couple weeks,everyday since the battle started i had to vacuum my sandbed,clean the rocks,changing filter socks 2 times
a day,dosing nitrite addding drTim ,none of that seem working and the dino keep taking over the tank,and all over my powerheads...
So i upgraded my filter socks to Clarisea, and was planning to install an uv,but i somehow watched a video on youtube about curing his tank by using DinoX, beside his positive video i also found so many negative videos about DinoX, well then why not give it a try because there were peoples has successfully removed their dino.I did my research,asked couple lfs about the product, they all say it safe for fishes and corals (at this point hard to tell if that even true or they just want to sell their items). So if u never try u never know....
Day 1:
-removed my Torq reactor with carbon and gfo on it.
-remove cheato reactor along with cheato.
-reduced my light to 6h only.
-drain all the water in my sump and tank to near empty so i could calculate i guess almost exactly the amount of water in my system.So i had almost 75gallon in my red sea xl300.
-turn off the lights a hour before my schedule and wait exactly 1hour to begin the dose.
-i dosed 15ml in total.
note: at this point i gave up on cleanning the sandbed and the rocks.Also all my zoas closed cuz dino all over them.
Day 2:
Dino still there but stopped spreading ,also their color has turn lighter brown.

D318A241-B2DB-4BBB-AEA6-8E6830BD4D98.jpeg 3A20F96D-2409-4BA4-8C12-E4062CA73377.jpeg 1F159563-6068-48ED-B10D-6AAE4BCC3F66.jpeg

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI , yes it is and in some days a new manual is released at our webpage. The Dosing is every second day. So longe you need to dose so long you made no waterchange. After the End of the dosing then you can start to do the waterchange. Please also do a ICP Test ( ICP1999com). There you can see fast the missing elements and relations which causes your Dino Problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back