Directly Feeding Peppermint Shrimp?

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diva of a peppermint shrimp that's more voracious than my fish. It likes to harass my tiger conch when its hungry. I'm currenting giving it a tiny piece of Marine Cuisine every other day on tweezers. But that stuff dissolves and goes everywhere. Is there a better food to target feed it with?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat what ever they can grab onto

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I want to feed it something that's not going to put a lot of excess food particles into the tank. I'm trying to feed the shrimp directly so its not getting hungry enough to try and eat my conch.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some small table shrimp at the market. Make sure it has not have any additives or preservatives. Lay the shrimp out separate in a gallon zip lock and freeze it. Then at feeding time, cut a little piece and feed to the shrimp. It still won't stop it from being a Richard, but you won't pollute the tank too much this way.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed mine hikari carnivore pellets and they take them up from tweezers

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I want to feed it something that's not going to put a lot of excess food particles into the tank. I'm trying to feed the shrimp directly so its not getting hungry enough to try and eat my conch.
Don't believe they will/can eat a conch; I squirt some mysis in the vicinity of my five during the morning feeding and they easily catch it.

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some small table shrimp at the market. Make sure it has not have any additives or preservatives. Lay the shrimp out separate in a gallon zip lock and freeze it. Then at feeding time, cut a little piece and feed to the shrimp. It still won't stop it from being a Richard, but you won't pollute the tank too much this way.
That's an excellent suggestion, thank you. It leaves the conch alone once I feed it but I'm still waiting to see how much of a Richard it will be in the long term. I do like that the shrimp is constantly eating live rock pests. It flushes out asternia stars. It only eats the arms but I find them running away from the shrimp and I pluck them out.

Don't believe they will/can eat a conch; I squirt some mysis in the vicinity of my five during the morning feeding and they easily catch it.

I'm not sure. I watched the shrimp flip over my conch today and it was trying to pull at the fleshy inside with its claws. For some reason it leaves all the other snails alone except the conch. I could try tweezing a couple dried mysis. I only keep 1 shrimp so I need to keep waste from feeding it to a minimum.

Last edited:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I watched the shrimp flip over my conch today and it was trying to pull at the fleshy inside with its claws. For some reason it leaves all the other snails alone except the conch. I could try tweezing a couple dried mysis. I only keep 1 shrimp so I need to keep waste from feeding it to a minimum.
I'm pretty sure my peppermint shrimps killed some strombus snails I had, very small snails in the same shape as a conch. I think it's because they have no trap door to hide from the shrimp.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back