Dirty rock question

Tacoma22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning this green a** rock without killing my GSPs or Daisies? The other ones I had no problem with, but since this is the keystone for several other rocks I’m scared to do anything about it. My cleanup crew is on it a lot, but the green just won’t go away.

thanks!!

03F872AF-5F5E-495A-B51E-0818397C9B55.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take it out, you can target apply H2O2 (peroxide) easily enough. Works very well on what looks like turf algae. The corals will be ok for a bit out of water. Just make sure you rinse/dip after treatment. Likely some will come back as you're not going to want to get too close to the corals, but it'll knock it back enough that corals/coralline can spread and cuc can manage easier.

OP
OP
Tacoma22

Tacoma22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take it out, you can target apply H2O2 (peroxide) easily enough. Works very well on what looks like turf algae. The corals will be ok for a bit out of water. Just make sure you rinse/dip after treatment. Likely some will come back as you're not going to want to get too close to the corals, but it'll knock it back enough that corals/coralline can spread and cuc can manage easier.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a try after work and post an “after pic”

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Since that rock is good sized, you may want to treat in sections over a week. Apply with narrow spray or small brush/sponge. No need to scrub really just apply and work in a bit and rinse. And that's just a quick rinse, if a few drops of H2O2 make it to your tank it's not going to hurt anything.

OP
OP
Tacoma22

Tacoma22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Since that rock is good sized, you may want to treat in sections over a week. Apply with narrow spray or small brush/sponge. No need to scrub really just apply and work in a bit and rinse. And that's just a quick rinse, if a few drops of H2O2 make it to your tank it's not going to hurt anything.
Thank you!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

This works. It might grow back in some areas.... just spot treat again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back