Disabling ATO w 2 Sensors during AWC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using my profilux for both ATO and AWC. I am using ATO with 2 sensors (float + optical) for redundancy and then I have a third float sensor below them for the lower limit of the AWC.

I've disabled the ATO pump socket during the AWC with programmable logic but this does not disable the ATO function itself, so the maximum run time is exceeded during the AWC and the alarm goes off.

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.30.00 am.png

Is there a way to disable the ATO function entirely during the AWC while still using 2 sensors for the ATO? I know it could be achieved with timers but for now I'm more comfortable running the AWC manually until I've installed a proper drain (rather than just a bucket).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem have circulated in my head since you post it. If you have your AWC activated by a timer - there could be a solution - otherwise I do not see any works around

There is a level function with name ATO and water change. You create first a timer for the AWC and after that another timer that is inverted from the other. Let us say - timer 1 active between 12:00 and 13:00 - timer 2 should be active between 13:00 and 12:00

In this set up - you only need 2 sensors

1694501985066.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the ATO + Water Change function but I like the redundancy of 2 sensors for ATO to reduce the risk of a flood.

Still not comfortable using a timer - very glad to be doing it manually as this morning one of the pipes burst off my dosing pump and began pumping water onto the floor! I'd like to iron out the kinks before I do it automatically. For now I can keep resetting the alarm or just mute it for the duration but it really feels like there should be a way to do this with logic . . .

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've also discovered a bug - during the AWC, when the ATO alarm goes off, if you clear the alarm using the buttons on the front it also stops the AWC which will result in a lot of extra fresh water being dumped into the tank.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've also discovered a bug - during the AWC, when the ATO alarm goes off, if you clear the alarm using the buttons on the front it also stops the AWC which will result in a lot of extra fresh water being dumped into the tank.
I don't understand: as soon as the maximum operation alarm goes off, the operation has already been interrupted, which is the purpose of this function.

"6.1.2 Maximum on-time
Due to safety reasons you can set how long the switchable sockets with the functions Fill water and Drain water may be active at maximum. 8 hours can be set at maximum. Through this, you can avoid that a defective sensor leads to a (too big) flooding. In case the time is exceeded, the level control and the related switchable sockets are immediately deactivated and an alarm is triggered! The level control remains deactivated as long as the error is reset or the ProfiLux 4 is restarted. If here 0 is set as duration, then the time monitoring is deactivated."

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean when the ATO maximum on time alarm goes off, not the AWC maximum on time.

Because I'm using logic to disable the ATO fill socket during AWC, the ATO maximum on time alarm triggers repeatedly during the water change.

If I clear the alarm from GHL connect the AWC continues. If I clear the alarm from the front panel it interrupts the AWC function as well, which causes the ATO to immediately kick in and begin filling with fresh water.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be better to just put a simple Analog DPDT Relay in so only one can run at a time?

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alarm would still go off. The logic I've programmed is achieving the same thing - if the AWC is running, the ATO socket can't turn on. The issue is that because the ATO function still runs, the maximum on-time is exceeded (because the water level remains below the sensor) and the alarm goes off.

I've just set this up with timers to automate the process and avoid the alarms but I think it would be nice to have this functionality in the Profilux - the ATO + AWC function exists for this purpose but then you lose the redundancy of two sensors. Why not simply create an option in that function to include a second level sensor for the ATO?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would the Alarm run, would it be only during water changes? On my Battery Back up for minimum Water flow, it goes into Alarm, with loss of power.When I feed Frozen food, I kill the power strip, goes into Alarm. I just let the alarm beep, so I don’t forget to turn the Power Strip back on.

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have auto-reset on the alarm (but perhaps I should). Even with auto-reset, the water change takes around 20 minutes and the alarm goes off after 2 minutes of run time. 18 minutes of beeping is not ideal when my tank is directly next to my desk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back