• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Disappointed with Galactic Coral - False Advertising

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two Stichodactyla gigantea carpet anemones from Galactic Coral in Houston, Texas as 1 blue and 1 green but "really small," which was fine because the colors appeared to be very nice. $100 each, $250 altogether with shipping. Below is the picture I received from the vendor. I specifically asked if the colors stayed under whiter light because I don't use heavy actinics and was told yes. I even sent a picture of my tank with my lighting spectrum to verify and was told that would "work fine," the colors would still look great.

118282454_776864866401357_4053637077004975517_n.jpg

Unfortunately when they arrived on August 25, 2020, they appeared nothing like the picture I was given. They were not blue or green, but brown as pictured below.

118442382_2754304278002461_7839494592981457071_n.jpg

I immediately contacted the vendor to say they appeared healthy, but I was disappointed that they don't look anything like what I was told. I was told to wait since they "color up quickly" and had my lighting blamed (but have brand new T5 bulbs). Galactic Coral admitted it's not a "true blue" because that would've been much more expensive, even though I asked if the anemones stayed blue under whiter lighting and was told yes. Not only is neither anemone not true blue, they're not any blue or even green, but brown.

So I waited and then reached out again on September 4, 2020 @ 4:27 PM to say there had no change whatsoever, I saw my message was read @ 6:25 PM. I was ignored and not given a response. Below is our full message exchange from both dates.

Aug 25, 2020, 10:44 AM

Me: Nems are all acclimated but I’m disappointed in the colors. I don’t see any blue.

GC: When you put them under 15k lighting they should have a blue base with green tips
GC: What light do you have them under
GC: We were running g4 xr30 pro over them here at our shop

Me: I understand there’s variation in color intensity depending on lighting, but if it was a true blue, it would still be blue in any spectrum. I have ATI T5s.
Me: If it’s only blue under heavy actinic lights, it’s not actually blue

GC: Its listed as a blue/green Gigantea it is blue and green under our lighting. We run the AB+SPS setting on our radions. Solid blue giganatea are $300-$400. We don't have it listed as a solid blue and have sold over 20 of them and have had no other customers mention there is no blue in their coloring.
GC: They also could be stressed from shipping and lost some of their color. When we first got them they were very washed out.
GC: Please send me a picture of them when you have them in the display with the lights on. They should regain their color quickly.

Me: I already sent you a picture in the display with the lights on
Me: It’s a brown anemone with green tips. It’s neither blue nor “blue /green.” I’m an experienced anemone and carpet anemone keeper. No anemone would be so stressed that completely loses an entire color unless it’s bleached, which these are not.Again, if it presents as blue only under heavy actinic lights, it’s not blue. It simply looks blue when kept under a lot of blue light. The prices you listed $300-400 for a solid blue is for medium to large anemone, not a 3” one like this.
Me: $100 for a very small brown carpet is ridiculous
Me: But maybe I’m wrong. I’m happy to post the pictures and this conversation on some reed forums and see what others think.

GC: The picture you send me you used a flash that is around 5k in spectrum. That is not an accurate representation of those anemones.
GC: We sent you pictures under our normal lighting and with whites turned up significantly before we shipped to you.
GC: Please give the anemones time to color up in your system.

Sep 4, 2020, 4:26 PM

Me: Hello, I’m still very disappointed by the anemones I received. I don’t know if you accidentally sent the wrong ones, but they’re both brown. One is not green and one is certainly not blue. I’ve give them acclimation time but nothing has changed. See picture below.

118889478_1100237977465495_5874806229742412517_n.jpg

Last edited:

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we are currently moving over 10,000 gallons of aquaculture systems as well as all of the coral to our new facility. I responded to your message this morning as John told me about it. I have not been on Facebook since the move started. We sent you several different pictures before you made your purchase as requested. We do not advertise these as the ultra or true blue Gigantea anemones and the price reflects that.

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sent you several different pictures before you made your purchase as requested.

Yes, I requested several pictures in different lighting and as I said, I sent my own pictures which you confirmed the anemones would look good under. They don't good under the spectrum I sent you a picture of pre-shipment or the more blue lighting that closely matches your own spectrum as pictured below.

We do not advertise these as the ultra or true blue Gigantea anemones and the price reflects that.

Using semantics like this seems even more dishonest. They were described to me as a "blue" and a "green" Gigantea. So I expected one anemone with some degree of blue in it and another with some degree of green in it. Yet that is not what I received. They are both brown. Brown under heavy actinics and brown under the more full spectrum lighting I typically run. I wasn't looking for the most piercing sky blue anemone in existence. But I did want one that had some blue and I think that's a completely fair expectation on my part.

$200 for two tiny brown carpet anemones is not fair pricing. I simply don't want these anemones at all. They are very unattractive and I don't think I'd have accepted them for free, certainly not for $250 including shipping. I am aware of color variation under different lighting types, brands, spectrum, etc., but the color disparity here is so great that it goes past what could be considered a reasonable color variation. These are nothing like what I was sent pictures of. It's not just my initial lighting because as you can see, they look equally unimpressive with the white bulbs turned off. These anemones look so different from the pictures I received I do question whether they're actually the same ones at all.

118949102_315277842875424_3876842097787705945_n.jpg

118889478_1100237977465495_5874806229742412517_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This just further demonstrates that the pictures sent to me are not representative of the anemones I received. You've provided horrible communication, either ignoring me for over a week, or continuing to blame my lighting, or offering some other excuse rather than trying to provide a resolution.

I've been patient, it's been nearly three weeks now and the colors are still just an ugly brown. Opened a dispute with PayPal since Galactic Corals is clearly unwilling to provide any customer service with this issue themselves.

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did everything you asked as far as sending extra pictures under different lighting and you approved. In the text thread posted I also commented that they were both small before you replied that it was okay. We have not received any money from you as you filed a claim with PayPal but you have the healthy anemones in your Display out of the basket. I have not been ignoring you at all and that is evident by my response on Facebook as well as on here.. When I saw your message I responded with wanting to come up with an amicable solution and was tagged on here by someone else to make me aware of your comments.. So far I'm out two anemones and $250 and you have drug our name in the mud before discussing any idea of a solution. Your picture that you posted a little over halfway down this thread with the anemones under 15k to 20k look exactly like the pictures we sent you under the same settings. At this point I'm not sure what else I can do.

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw your message I responded with wanting to come up with an amicable solution. . . drug our name in the mud before discussing any idea of a solution.

It's now been three weeks and despite me messaging you repeatedly, you haven't offered a single solution. It's easy to say you wanted to resolve things, but your actions, of lack thereof, clearly indicated otherwise.

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just assumed we were ignoring you and got upset. Assumptions cause problems like this. We were in fact moving our entire livestock collection and aquaculture facility during labor day weekend. It has been a monumental task that we still are not finished with. Our store was closed and it was listed the same on the website and Facebook. Every other message you sent besides that one was responded to within 24 hours. We were very busy and did not answer any phone calls or emails or any other kind of messages until we had all livestock stable after the transfer.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminder, outside comments in vendor feedback are not permitted. You may post a link to your own feedback thread regarding the same vendor though.
Thanks everyone and take care! :)

Crabs

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get them out of your display without damaging them, send them back, and they arrive in the same condition they were sent I will refund you the entire $250. I will send you a shipping label. I will contest the PayPal dispute otherwise. Please let me know what you would like to do.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back