Disaster

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home from a grueling 10 hour shift and a breaker was tripped in my aquarium room. Temp at 71 and fish and corals are not doing well. I’m so upset that this happened while I was at work and that it’s winter so the temp fell so much (usually 77-79 degrees). I’m so concerned about my fish as they are hiding and breathing heavy. It’s just a soft coral 20 gallon tank with a clown, YWG and swissguard basslet that I love so much! Nothing is dead yet and does anyone know if they might pull through?

Pretty sure the power was out 6+ hours with no circulation or heat. Usually I only have my air stone backup in if there’s a big storm or ice. Silly me...

running my pump at max and put in an extra heater and electric heating pad on the side of my aquarium to help.

just honestly needed to vent I’m stressed because my aquarium is something I love coming home to and relaxing in front of and I care about my fish a lot.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the temperature is the major problem if they're breathing heavy. More likely the oxygen. I wouldn't put in an extra heater- could raise the temperature too fast.

When it was really cold early last year, my tank went down to 68 degrees, even with the heaters going, and stayed near there for a bit. My corals, a couple shrimp, and a goby were fine as far as I could tell. Low temps are much less bad than high temps.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out extra heater will slowly bring up temp. Added an air stone and pump running max too! Thanks everyone I feel a bit better. Yea running on a GFCI! Probably going to replace my heater just to be safe. It’s about time to replace it anyway.
Ok. Get pumps running. Slowly bring the tank temp back up.. over a couple hours. This is going to be fine. Is this on a GFI?
check your heater for moisture inside of it. then check all your gear.

They should be fine. Just don’t raise the temp too quickly.

I'm far from very knowledgeable on such things, but I would think extra heaters might not be a good thing. heating too fast could make things worse maybe.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually just bringing up the temp slowly is fine. Adding air stone would be critical to keep the airflow going. However, in such a small tank, the o2 may have just gotten depleted with no flow. The temp was probably not an issue as much as the o2 (even though it is better in lower temps).

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually just bringing up the temp slowly is fine. Adding air stone would be critical to keep the airflow going. However, in such a small tank, the o2 may have just gotten depleted with no flow. The temp was probably not an issue as much as the o2 (even though it is better in lower temps).
Yep :/ even my unkillable mushrooms are dead or dying and spitting filaments everywhere. All the snails are flipped upside down and dead. My favorite fungia coral is dead too.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry. I had a heater malfunction and fried everything in a 6g once. Except the pistol shrimp. (He is still alive today after like 8 years. And I got him from someone that had him many years. Tough guy.)

Get o2 on it and hope some things recover. Of course, you will now deal with ammonia too. Do many water changes.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry. I had a heater malfunction and fried everything in a 6g once. Except the pistol shrimp. (He is still alive today after like 8 years. And I got him from someone that had him many years. Tough guy.)

Get o2 on it and hope some things recover. Of course, you will now deal with ammonia too. Do many water changes.
Yep been testing the water every day and many water changes. So sad. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back