discovered a bobbit worm in my live rock!

Meatychipmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I found a bobbit worm poking his head out of one of my live rocks yesterday. I tried using a worm catcher but he didn't fall for the bait. so I have pulled the rock out of my tank and put it in a bucket of high salinity water hoping that it would force him to come out of the rock but he's not so i'm thinking I should probably never use this rock again? any suggestions?

IMG_1702.JPG

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre sure its a bobbit and not a brissle worm? Hard to tell from the pic. If you wanted a 100% sure way to kill it, leave the rock outside of water for a day or two.... however, this would kill off all of your bacteria, perhaps leave it in high salinity for a day or two and see if this works.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run fresh water on it. Or I would but food below the rock in a bucket with the rock just below the surface with a lid over it.

Or just put the rock in the sump

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that's a bobbit, but if it is I'm jealous!

They are so cool! Dont kill it!

OP
OP
Meatychipmunk

Meatychipmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y
Youre sure its a bobbit and not a brissle worm? Hard to tell from the pic. If you wanted a 100% sure way to kill it, leave the rock outside of water for a day or two.... however, this would kill off all of your bacteria, perhaps leave it in high salinity for a day or two and see if this works.
Yes I'm positive that it is a bobbit worm and not a bristle it was the best pic I could get and doesn't show the antenna's so I think ill just trash the rock! Nasty MF I hope it dies a horrible death!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y

Yes I'm positive that it is a bobbit worm and not a bristle it was the best pic I could get and doesn't show the antenna's so I think ill just trash the rock! Nasty MF I hope it dies a horrible death!
Sump it makes a great sump lord

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why kill it?

They really aren't as problematic as you seem to think, and they are awesome in a sump.

Sell it, or give it a chance to be "rescued" by another aquarist.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y

Lorena taught us how to deal with a bobbit worm back in 1993, just cut it in half and throw it in a field

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened right down the street from me ;Facepalm Glad her and Mrs Retro weren’t friends :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back