Discussion on Weekly Trace Element Maintanence Dosing

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother and I have been toying with this the past few weeks...

We're doing the Triton method. Aside from our little alk demand issue, at the 13 month mark, our corals are looking good and colors are outstanding (after dosing no3 and po4) -- everything's been going well with Triton so far, using Triton supplements, other branded supplements, and diy supplements.

We've been thinking about trace element dosing -- maintanence dosing only, not corrective dosing.

Our proposition is to use 1.5X the amount of the maintanence dose.

So far, the recommended practice is to recover your water to Triton calculated 'natural' setpoint seawater levels (we're still waiting the full story of where/how these setpoints came from, and also the promised locale-specific setpoints). At any rate, current practice uses a dosing multiplier of 1X.

1X Dose
At the current 1X dose, our water reaches a setpoint goal only at the moment of dosing,* and theoretically, trace element concentration begins to drop from the setpoint as soon as utilization begins. Therefore, if you dose maintanence doses weekly, like we do, at 1X dose, your system chemistry is 'correct' (at setpoint) only on day 1, and by day 7 you might be close to 0X setpoint. So our chemistry is only from 100% to 50% setpoint on days 1 through 3.5. On days 3.5 to 7, we are at 50% to 0% (maybe not zero, but let's just take that for ease of discussion). So looking at this from a grade school report card, at 1X dose, we have an F grade half the time.

There must be some crazy math description of this phenomenon like triton's razor lol. @ReefTeacher

1.5X Dose
At 1.5X dose, are we closer to the setpoint, for more of the days? Let's take our weekly dosing example. On day 1, we are over at 150% setpoint. On day 3.5, we are at 100%. On day 7, we are at 50%. Does our water chemistry receive a better grade? Still grade A on day 3.5, but almost never grade F. As the ocean has an 'infinite supply' of trace elements, we assume that maintaining elements above zero is preferential. But is overdosing to 150% setpoint bad? Toxic? Just for certain elements? Is biological utilization not linear? More is not better? Anyone use dosing heads for trace elements?

So... what are your thoughts on this proposed 1.5X 'trace element mutiplier'?

@tenurepro, we'd like your thoughts, we like your youtube channel!

@Tim2@Triton, we'd like more info on the setpoints and how they were developed. The only thing we know so far is setpoints are naturally based from unnamed reefs around the world, and then tweaked by Triton. What were the tweaks? Did Triton already build in a trace element multiplier?

* Our system's maintanence dose of Zn is 26 ml (at Triton's addìtive concentration) per week. We always see our torch, hammer, and elegance corals extend more, look super happy, and 'pep up' on day 1 of the dose.

Last edited:

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim2@Triton, we'd like more info on the setpoints and how they were developed. The only thing we know so far is setpoints are naturally based from unnamed reefs around the world, and then tweaked by Triton. What were the tweaks? Did Triton already build in a trace element multiplier?

I personally took samples from the Solomon Islands, Central Province. Can't give exact location details, as it is a trade secret where Purple Monster is collected. But there's a lot of great info on the trip here: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/05/tracked-purple-monster-acro-original-source/# I know Ehsan collected samples all around Indonesia the year before my Solomon Islands trip, notably Flores and Komodo Island, and he's also spent a great deal of time on the GBR.

As for how the setpoints were developed, what tweaks they needed, and what the formulas for trace element dosing calculations are.. those are quite the definition of trade secrets, and I would not divulge those. I would take this up directly with Ehsan or Tim Caldwell next MACNA and he may be able to illuminate on your questions more than I can.

purple-monster-acropora-solomon-islands-11.jpg

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on the same problem as you and your brother but have not put as much thought into it as you guys. Kudos!
I started the Triton method October of 2017. I have a fully stocked 120 gallon sps dominate reef tank that is using 28 ml/day. My original thought was to send in a test every three months but after initial success at the end of three months things slowly were going south. After sending in the next test I was able to see what trace elements my tank needed and broke the additions down to daily and monthly additions. Iron/manganese and iodine daily and the other trace elements monthly. After several test I was able to better calculate the tanks usage.
I have had no problems with this program and because of the holidays the next test will be after 4 months instead of 3. If all is well with the next test I will go to a 6 month test period.

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on the same problem as you and your brother but have not put as much thought into it as you guys. Kudos!
I started the Triton method October of 2017. I have a fully stocked 120 gallon sps dominate reef tank that is using 28 ml/day. My original thought was to send in a test every three months but after initial success at the end of three months things slowly were going south. After sending in the next test I was able to see what trace elements my tank needed and broke the additions down to daily and monthly additions. Iron/manganese and iodine daily and the other trace elements monthly. After several test I was able to better calculate the tanks usage.
I have had no problems with this program and because of the holidays the next test will be after 4 months instead of 3. If all is well with the next test I will go to a 6 month test period.
Nice! Can you share a photo of your tank

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you noticing overall better color or growth or both?

Thanks

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say both my color and growth have improved. I set this tank up 2015 and had lots of trouble until I started Triton and it did take awhile before it took off. Many of my corals where in bad shape due to a cycle of depleting my trace elements and then doing large water changes. Things improved then got worse again. I provide as many trace elements I can on my own( a work in progress) but some I had to buy from Triton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back