Disease id only on clownfish

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, well I added in a fish I got yesterday a 6 line wrasse and suddenly the clowns got sick overnight. I am not sure if it’s Brook. Can I get some help please!? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all, well I added in a fish I got yesterday a 6 line wrasse and suddenly the clowns got sick overnight. I am not sure if it’s Brook. Can I get some help please!? Thanks

Its hard to see issues on clowns that are white in color but I see small black dots which may be hyper melanization often resulting from anemone stings . If no anemone present may be bacterial in nature. if bacterial, you can treat in tank with Ruby Rally pro or in quarantine with seachen Kanaplex

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see issues on clowns that are white in color but I see small black dots which may be hyper melanization often resulting from anemone stings . If no anemone present may be bacterial in nature. if bacterial, you can treat in tank with Ruby Rally pro or in quarantine with seachen Kanaplex
Thanks for the reply, I don’t have an anemone they host, it is small and they stay away from the bubble tip. They have white spots and some areas around the head look like they have lost white coloration, here’s some pics
IMG_2975.jpeg
IMG_2974.jpeg
IMG_2972.png
IMG_2971.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I don’t have an anemone they host, it is small and they stay away from the bubble tip. They have white spots and some areas around the head look like they have lost white coloration, here’s some pics
IMG_2975.jpeg
IMG_2974.jpeg
IMG_2972.png
IMG_2971.png
Every pic tells a story. This appears to be marine ich and will require treatment in a separate treatment tank.
You will need to treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every pic tells a story. This appears to be marine ich and will require treatment in a separate treatment tank.
You will need to treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thanks for the help! Would it be wise to also dose prazipro as well with the coppersafe? Can they be combined in quarantine? Also I have a six line wrasse and a yellow watchman goby, are those fish safe to qt with copper and the prazi?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the help! Would it be wise to also dose prazipro as well with the coppersafe? Can they be combined in quarantine? Also I have a six line wrasse and a yellow watchman goby, are those fish safe to qt with copper and the prazi?
Both fisg can be in copper but make your treatment evel 2.25 to be safe and do prazi after copper and remove carbon with water change and even CupriSorb media and then go to Prazi and dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fisg can be in copper but make your treatment evel 2.25 to be safe and do prazi after copper and remove carbon with water change and even CupriSorb media and then go to Prazi and dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
Awesome thank you again for all the expert advice

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I setup a 5 gallon tank I had laying around with a hang on back filter. I had some chemical filtration media in my main tank I always keep and I used it in hopes of no cycling. I got a airstone in there, heater, thermometer, ammonia alert, and an aquarium decoration I had from my freshwater days. Luckily it was easy to catch my 2 clowns, goby, and sixline. I dosed coppersafe and it looks like the white spots fell off of the clowns. The fish seems to be acting normal, just the bigger female clown is still breathing a bit heavy. Hopefully this is the start to ending the ich. My main display is fallow and will have to wait to end the life cycle of this parasite.
IMG_2981.jpeg

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I unfortunately lost my female clownfish. I tried… it sucks. But I found the culprit. The sixline wrasse is mean. He was harassing my clownfish and I added a new clownfish to the QT tank and sure enough, he was being the aggressor. So I think the wrasse was stressing the fish out and caused my issue.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your quarantine tank is very small so sixline will be even more aggressive. You may want to catch it and place it in an acclimation box, so it will not be able to attack the other fish.
Release it in the DT after the other fish are settled and see it it is better. If not return the sixline to LFS.
six lines have bad reputation, but I never had problems with mine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back