Huge white growth on established clownfish

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have had this clown exactly a year now. It's had this spot on its side since shortly after I got it but it's always been quite small. In the last few weeks it's gotten to be quite large and I'm not sure what it could be. It's never caused problems but lately he's been having trouble eating and swimming and I want to take care of it now if I can.

IMG_0897.jpeg IMG_0896.jpeg IMG_0892.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all. I have had this clown exactly a year now. It's had this spot on its side since shortly after I got it but it's always been quite small. In the last few weeks it's gotten to be quite large and I'm not sure what it could be. It's never caused problems but lately he's been having trouble eating and swimming and I want to take care of it now if I can.

IMG_0897.jpeg IMG_0896.jpeg IMG_0892.jpeg
This is an infection likely started from an injury and has developed cancer like growth. The chance of treatment and recovery are reduced once it gets to this point. Suggested treatment is in a Clean and sterile tankbut start with a quick 3-5 minute freshwater bath with a little household peroxide added in a bucket and in the tank - then treat with Seachem Kanaplex. Again, fish may or may not respond well to treatment.
The display tank. There is build up on the glass and what looks like cyano on the sandbed suggesting lack of maintenance and/or overfeeding. Focus on water quality. Fish also appears to be on the Thin side

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the fresh water bath and will get the Kanaplex with focus later today. It took well to the dip and I used about 2 cups of water and 1ml or so of peroxide. No panicking or anything and it's swimming in the tank same as before albeit hiding in a place it doesn't normally which is understandable. I have definitely been overfeeding due to my filter capacity but I know I need to cut down although my parameters are within range minus pH and alk which don't wildly swing but do irritate me to the point they need to be narrowed down a bit. My source water is also tds of about 5 which is the best I can do at the moment as I don't have space for a filter just yet. Will keep you updated and thanks for the quick response.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the pictures I could get of it while I had it still in the net. It looks pretty bad to me. Despite this he has been swimming and getting some food down.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0905.jpeg
    IMG_0905.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 40

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the pictures I could get of it while I had it still in the net. It looks pretty bad to me. Despite this he has been swimming and getting some food down.
Given that the fish has had this for a long time, I think that infection or injury can be ruled out. I think this is a cancer that just hit the exponential cell growth phase. If so, there won’t be a treatment for that, sorry.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the fish has had this for a long time, I think that infection or injury can be ruled out. I think this is a cancer that just hit the exponential cell growth phase. If so, there won’t be a treatment for that, sorry.
The fresh water dip really seemed to help and he seemed a lot more lively and out in the tank after coming out from hiding. He also got A LOT of the food down that I gave with the Kanaplex so that's a good sign as well I'm hoping. Will continue to update!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fresh water dip really seemed to help and he seemed a lot more lively and out in the tank after coming out from hiding. He also got A LOT of the food down that I gave with the Kanaplex so that's a good sign as well I'm hoping. Will continue to update!
I’m not sure that is cause and effect though. The only temporary benefit from a freshwater dip would be against protozoans or flukes. I just don’t see this lesion be caused by either of those. The differential diagnosis here would be: bacterial versus cancer versus (rare) fungal infection. However, the fish could have multiple issues and the dip helped with another, hidden issue.
Because dips are temporary, be prepared to dip again if it backslides.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that is cause and effect though. The only temporary benefit from a freshwater dip would be against protozoans or flukes. I just don’t see this lesion be caused by either of those. The differential diagnosis here would be: bacterial versus cancer versus (rare) fungal infection. However, the fish could have multiple issues and the dip helped with another, hidden issue.
Because dips are temporary, be prepared to dip again if it backslides.
So far so good and the injury seems to be half the size that it was already. He also seems to be eating way more than he was just a few days ago and I can visibly see how much bigger his belly is.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys to be nothing short of blunt, treating with the Kanaplex seems to have given me a zombie f*cking clownfish. It honestly quite terrifies me and disgusts me to even look at :face-with-head-bandage:. I'm not one to keep something alive if it's in pain or struggling, but to be entirely honest he seems to be doing better than he was before and he's eating like a pig. Any idea if this is just scar tissue falling away or can I expect this to not get any better? You can literally see "THROUGH" him in the one picture. The tissue undeneath what's hanging off seems to be healthy and healing so I don't really know what to think as I've never seen anything like this before. Pardon the sarcastic tone but I'm trying to stay positive in light of a very scary looking injury on this fish.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.png
    IMG_2042.png
    740 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2043.png
    IMG_2043.png
    818.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2039.mov
    86 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I couldn’t download the video. Bacterial infections are “subtractive”, the bacteria feeds on the fish’s tissues. If you manage to control the bacteria, the fish will have missing tissue. Depending on if bone was involved, it may or may not heal up. Either way, it will take a lot of time.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I couldn’t download the video. Bacterial infections are “subtractive”, the bacteria feeds on the fish’s tissues. If you manage to control the bacteria, the fish will have missing tissue. Depending on if bone was involved, it may or may not heal up. Either way, it will take a lot of time.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'd try and attach the video again but it's a 4k video and those tend to be large and not upload right for some reason for me. The flesh underneath the hanging part seems to be fresh light pink with no apparent worsening or bone visible. Would it be correct for me to assume the hanging part is scales that haven't decayed or something like that and the flesh will grow and fill in underneath that? Or can I expect the hanging part to fall off? If he's eating normally and it looks like it's just healing now and no long inflamed can I assume the infection has cleared up and he's on the road to recovery now?

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'd try and attach the video again but it's a 4k video and those tend to be large and not upload right for some reason for me. The flesh underneath the hanging part seems to be fresh light pink with no apparent worsening or bone visible. Would it be correct for me to assume the hanging part is scales that haven't decayed or something like that and the flesh will grow and fill in underneath that? Or can I expect the hanging part to fall off? If he's eating normally and it looks like it's just healing now and no long inflamed can I assume the infection has cleared up and he's on the road to recovery now?
Do I also have to worry about this bacteria affecting any of my other fish? Or was this one already susceptible because he had a previous injury?

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, the lights just came on and I've noticed he seems much more out and about in the tank and swimming in a pair with his partner clown.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I also have to worry about this bacteria affecting any of my other fish? Or was this one already susceptible because he had a previous injury?
Almost all external bacterial infections in fish get their start as an injury - the bacteria themselves are always present in the water.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all external bacterial infections in fish get their start as an injury - the bacteria themselves are always present in the water.
He's definitely out and about way more now and following his partner around the tank instead of hiding in a nook all day. Also actively chasing food down and eating. Still struggling with pellets a bit though. The flesh on the side of the face seems to be slowly falling away to reveal healthy tissue underneath. Should I do say two more days of antibiotics to make sure nothing comes back? Or should I let it all be now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's definitely out and about way more now and following his partner around the tank instead of hiding in a nook all day. Also actively chasing food down and eating. Still struggling with pellets a bit though. The flesh on the side of the face seems to be slowly falling away to reveal healthy tissue underneath. Should I do say two more days of antibiotics to make sure nothing comes back? Or should I let it all be now?

A full course of antibiotics should be 5 to 7 days. How many times you actually dose it depends on the antibiotic used. I would follow the label instructions.

I was able to view the video just now. With that much missing tissue, I do now think it is bacterial and not a cancer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back