Disintegrating Brittle Star

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this has been going on for about 6 months now. My brittle star started to get cracks in it's body. Saw some white inside. His body is now almost completely gone. But, he is still alive and keeps moving around. Not much, but if I touch him he does move away. I don't think there is any hope for him, but wondering if anyone has seen anything like this. His body used to be about the same size as where you see all the white now. He is about 20 years old......

BrittleStar.jpg

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's the same for this species but sand sifting stars will shed their legs and kinda just fall apart when they are starving

OP
OP
chadg

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he is starving. I feed a good amount and like I said, I've had him for about 20 years. Feed patterns have been pretty consistent.

OP
OP
chadg

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping the thread up.... has anyone seen anything like this?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have seen this is due to either water quality or predation. Stars are sensitive to things in the water that other things aren't.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, 20 year old sea star that typically has a life span around 5 years, hold a sec, getting the calculator out, carry the one, tap, tap, aaaaaaaannnnnnd, he is 320 years old in human years. He looks like my great uncle before he passed.

I think it's just his time.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, 20 year old sea star that typically has a life span around 5 years, hold a sec, getting the calculator out, carry the one, tap, tap, aaaaaaaannnnnnd, he is 320 years old in human years. He looks like my great uncle before he passed.

I think it's just his time.

I retract my last comment, I missed the 20 year part. I too would call this old age.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick google search shows that brittle stars live “several years”, one site mentioned 6-7. It may have lived the great life in your tank and it’s on the way out through no fault of your own. Good luck

OP
OP
chadg

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I guess I'll just chalk it up to old age... Funny, I wanted to take him out a couple of times as I did not want him to spike my take as he died, but when I went to touch him he moved so much I felt bad that I was killing him... :( So, I left him. He is back under some rock that I can't find. I guess I l'll just watch my numbers closely... Thanks for the reply's...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black brittle star disappeared after 5-6 years .

I still have another that’s pushing 10 years but not sure exactly what species .
It’s more of a brown colour and doesn’t have long spines on its tentacles .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back