Display fuge vs cheato

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I was thinking......
long story short I was planing on an ATS as part of my RS650P filtration due to supply chain issues I might just do a fuge.

I have never had a proper fuge before but have had complete macro algae tank. so my question is would a maco display fuge filter as well as a mirco algae cheato fuge?

I have a large fuge area as can play around with this flow through the fuge would no be as issue as I have a unused gate vave from the manifold that I could dail in the flow to best suit the needs of the fuge.

any real world experience on this? studies? the "display fuge" would be more fun for sure but it's main goal is just filtration as I am a big believer in the "natural method"

other filtration I have on the tank are filter floss changes 2X a week, BRS mini reactor with carbon and GFO, skimmer, 40W UV tank is around 4 months and just looking for long term stability.

cheers,
D

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that macro algae display tank is just a pretty well maintained fuge that's on full display and not hiding in a cabinet or hidden somewhere in a basement.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that macro algae display tank is just a pretty well maintained fuge that's on full display and not hiding in a cabinet or hidden somewhere in a basement.

yeah that's the idea of em . just wondering if they use N&P the same? is cheato better?does some macro algae do better than others?

would be cool to have( another think to play with ) but on the other side it's just meant to be functional.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they would consume N&P the same. PH might be different since you might want to light it at the same time your DT is lit, so something to take into account. Red Dragons breath macro algae would look killer in a Macro display tank, and not so much chaeto. But Chaeto would still be my go to macro algae or at least a must have.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they would consume N&P the same. PH might be different since you might want to light it at the same time your DT is lit, so something to take into account. Red Dragons breath macro algae would look killer in a Macro display tank, and not so much chaeto. But Chaeto would still be my go to macro algae or at least a must have.

it will still be under the stnd in the sump but I meant to say display ornamental algae. I do get a kick out of growing them. IDK might just still with cheato

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to try, and why not go for it! I packed my fuge with various types of macros and eventually ended up with only chaeto as the others died off, so while certainly possible it might. It be easy. Also some macro might respond better to very high nutrient levels we wouldn’t want in a reef - just things to keep in mind.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to try, and why not go for it! I packed my fuge with various types of macros and eventually ended up with only chaeto as the others died off, so while certainly possible it might. It be easy. Also some macro might respond better to very high nutrient levels we wouldn’t want in a reef - just things to keep in mind.
I think I am going to keep it simple and stick to cheato.
I had a 20L macro tank a few years ago it was a challenge so why mix that with a reef. + it give me a reason to set up another tank down the road...haha

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that's the idea of em . just wondering if they use N&P the same? is cheato better?does some macro algae do better than others?

would be cool to have( another think to play with ) but on the other side it's just meant to be functional.

I believe different macro algae grow at different rates, thus making some more effective in the short term and other less effective. Chaeto and Ulva (sea lettuce) are quick growing macros so these will deplete your nitrates and phosphates faster than say some slow growing ornamental macros.

If you're looking for the best of both worlds you can always section the fuge off and have a spot for your chaeto and dedicate the rest of the area for the ornamental macros.

I just started mine. A small 10 gallon addition but we will see how well it does.

Attachments

• 20210609_141704.jpg
    20210609_141704.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210609_142142.jpg
    20210609_142142.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe different macro algae grow at different rates, thus making some more effective in the short term and other less effective. Chaeto and Ulva (sea lettuce) are quick growing macros so these will deplete your nitrates and phosphates faster than say some slow growing ornamental macros.

If you're looking for the best of both worlds you can always section the fuge off and have a spot for your chaeto and dedicate the rest of the area for the ornamental macros.

I just started mine. A small 10 gallon addition but we will see how well it does.

this sums up my thoughts and experience too. when I had my 20L macro tank all ornamentals grew at different rates. so as this if for filtration I think i'll stick to a classic cheato fuge. but might turn my small ATO tank that comes with RS tanks into a display fuge IDK lets see once I am fully stocked with fish and coral.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red and brown macro algaes are not as effective at absorbing NP as green (chaeto or caulerpa)

On the flip side, they also don't melt as fast if you can't keep up with nutrient. So the green macros are a double edged sword.

Here's a reefcleaners article discussing this

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back