Disposal of live rock (please help!)

greatestgrandma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So around October of last year, I had decided to end fish keeping as it was not for me. I was able to successfully re-home all of my fish but I was left with a bunch of live rock. I decided to put it in a bucket outside and covered it with a big plastic bag as it had a ton of worm like hitchhikers. I have not been able to do anything about it until today due to personal reasons (so no, I have not opened the bag since October). I am trying to get rid of the live rock asap but I am quite nervous about the state it is in right now. Most likely moldy and possibly toxic? Should I bleach the rocks and dispose in the trash, should I wear a mask in case it is toxic, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that wasn't the best thing to do but I was struggling at the time. Thanks.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do that. Just dump it out on the driveway and rinse it well with a hose/powerwasher if you have one. Then list it for sale on your local reefer pages/facebook marketplace. Most people will pay at least $1.00 per lb, if not more for dry rock like that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well - this is impossible to answer - since its unknown 'whats on the rock'. I dont know your living situation - I would put it out in the back yard and let the weather take care of any issues. Otherwise - I would not fiddle with it/bleach it/try to clean it. I dont know what state youre in - I'm not sure there is any 'rule' about leaving a rock outside - but I can see problems if for some reason you tried to rinse it, wash it, etc - and it had some toxin. (i.e. local problems to you personally, not the environment). Otherwise - you can triple bag it - and bring it to your local hazardous waste depot - and if not available - in the trash?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about this one with a paly rock I have that I might get rid of one day. My plan, not completely thought out, was to put it in a container I could seal and put cheap cat litter all over it. No idea what that would do but that’s what you’re supposed to do with paint cans. I’d wear a mask.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don't do that. Just dump it out on the driveway and rinse it well with a hose/powerwasher if you have one. Then list it for sale on your local reefer pages/facebook marketplace. Most people will pay at least $1.00 per lb, if not more for dry rock like that.
That's what many of us do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what many of us do.
This is what I would do - But - I thought becasue he mentioned the state he was in - or for another reason that was impossible. Light and water takes care of everything. BTW - another suggestion - you can also donate it to an LFS - and let them cure it. I dont think there is a big 'toxic danger'

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I would do - But - I thought becasue he mentioned the state he was in - or for another reason that was impossible. Light and water takes care of everything. BTW - another suggestion - you can also donate it to an LFS - and let them cure it. I dont think there is a big 'toxic danger'
He said the state of the rock, meaning the condition the rock is in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He said the state of the rock, meaning the condition the rock is in.
LOLOLOL. Yes - you're absolutely correct !!!!!!!!!! just dump it outside, rinse it off well and bring it to an LFS - or just sell it:)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrcaMstr if you don't want to or cannot do the work yourself to clean the rock, my suggestion is just offer it up for free on a local reefer page or facebook marketplace. Let someone come get it who will put it to use instead of just throwing it away. I'm sure there are plenty of reefers who would be happy to come get it and clean it if they're getting it for free.

OP
OP
G

greatestgrandma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will look into donating it to someone who is willing to take them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back