Dissolved oxygen surprises

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is well-known to everyone out there but it was news to me, thought it was worth a write-up.

I have one of the Dissolved Oxygen probes from Neptune Systems which I've recently put on my system and I was looking at the readings and trying to figure out what was going on in the graph below:
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.20.06 AM.png

My first thought was that it might be something to do with the lights - it always starts at ~21:45pm or so, and ends at 3:00am. I couldn't think of any reason why the end might match, but I couldn't think of anything *else* that was correlated with the start of the period. Looking at my light timing graphs ...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.24.41 AM.png

... however, revealed only a *very* rough correlation with the lights going off and the DO spiking. That's not sufficient to explain the delta-function-like spike in Dissolved Oxygen, and certainly doesn't have any bearing on the slump in DO after 3:00am.

The DO sensor is placed in the 3rd section of the sump (the one which the Reeflo Dart return pump pulls from). It's after the skimmer and bubble-trap and generally in very calm water but with reasonable flow (~3000 gph),

The only contents of this section are the sensors (DO, Ph, Temp, Salinity), the floating algae-scrubbers, and to keep the bottom relatively clean, there's a pump that is turned on for 3 minutes in every 5 that just stops any detritus from falling to the bottom and building up there.

I next thought that it might be the algae-scrubbers affecting the water in that sump-section, but looking at their timings they had a turn-off at 1:00am, turn on at 3:00am. These are the SURF8X scrubbers from Santa Monica Filtration, and require air to be bubbled up into them, so there was a time and an oxygen connection, but for the life of me I couldn't see how they could fit the 9:45 -> 3:00am profile of the "top-hats" in the graph.

So I went through every outlet on the Apex. Eventually we got to the "A-ha" moment...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.47.26 AM.png

Ding ding ding. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

The UV (an Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV, 50W) is plumbed in right *after* the sump exit. You can just about see it as the upright black column by the stand leg in the below:

G8S0gS2.jpg

... so it's as far removed from the DO sensor as it could possibly be. Even then, only 6g/minute goes through the UV filter according to the flow meter, and yet this is the culprit. It hadn't occurred to me that the UV filter would have such an effect on the dissolved oxygen, but it certainly does for me. If I turn off the UV filter briefly (just before 10:00 am, below), I can see the DO spike back up to the 92,93 or so level for the quarter-hour graph reading; with the UV switched back on, we flip right back down to the 86,87 level.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.01.22 AM.png

So maybe if you're investigating Carbon dosing or some other technique which has the potential to reduce the dissolved oxygen in your tank quickly, it might be a good idea to give yourself a bit more buffer and turn off the UV filter, especially if you run high-flow through your UV filter, I tend to run it low-flow and that already makes a measurable difference...

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation. I wouldn't have thought UV would have much affect on O2 levels.

The only thing I can think of is that your UV is breaking up stable O2 and producing ozone. Wonder if a test strip would show ozone in your water column after the UV?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that does make sense Randy :) I just didn't expect the difference to be stark - it's "only" 5% or so, and the Apex graph technique seems to be optimized to highlight changes so it looks worse than it probably really is, but still...

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is well-known to everyone out there but it was news to me, thought it was worth a write-up.

I have one of the Dissolved Oxygen probes from Neptune Systems which I've recently put on my system and I was looking at the readings and trying to figure out what was going on in the graph below:
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.20.06 AM.png

My first thought was that it might be something to do with the lights - it always starts at ~21:45pm or so, and ends at 3:00am. I couldn't think of any reason why the end might match, but I couldn't think of anything *else* that was correlated with the start of the period. Looking at my light timing graphs ...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.24.41 AM.png

... however, revealed only a *very* rough correlation with the lights going off and the DO spiking. That's not sufficient to explain the delta-function-like spike in Dissolved Oxygen, and certainly doesn't have any bearing on the slump in DO after 3:00am.

The DO sensor is placed in the 3rd section of the sump (the one which the Reeflo Dart return pump pulls from). It's after the skimmer and bubble-trap and generally in very calm water but with reasonable flow (~3000 gph),

The only contents of this section are the sensors (DO, Ph, Temp, Salinity), the floating algae-scrubbers, and to keep the bottom relatively clean, there's a pump that is turned on for 3 minutes in every 5 that just stops any detritus from falling to the bottom and building up there.

I next thought that it might be the algae-scrubbers affecting the water in that sump-section, but looking at their timings they had a turn-off at 1:00am, turn on at 3:00am. These are the SURF8X scrubbers from Santa Monica Filtration, and require air to be bubbled up into them, so there was a time and an oxygen connection, but for the life of me I couldn't see how they could fit the 9:45 -> 3:00am profile of the "top-hats" in the graph.

So I went through every outlet on the Apex. Eventually we got to the "A-ha" moment...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.47.26 AM.png

Ding ding ding. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

The UV (an Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV, 50W) is plumbed in right *after* the sump exit. You can just about see it as the upright black column by the stand leg in the below:

G8S0gS2.jpg

... so it's as far removed from the DO sensor as it could possibly be. Even then, only 6g/minute goes through the UV filter according to the flow meter, and yet this is the culprit. It hadn't occurred to me that the UV filter would have such an effect on the dissolved oxygen, but it certainly does for me. If I turn off the UV filter briefly (just before 10:00 am, below), I can see the DO spike back up to the 92,93 or so level for the quarter-hour graph reading; with the UV switched back on, we flip right back down to the 86,87 level.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.01.22 AM.png

So maybe if you're investigating Carbon dosing or some other technique which has the potential to reduce the dissolved oxygen in your tank quickly, it might be a good idea to give yourself a bit more buffer and turn off the UV filter, especially if you run high-flow through your UV filter, I tend to run it low-flow and that already makes a measurable difference...
Well this is certainly interesting, and very well done! Thanks for posting it. :D

OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do not recall seeing anyone make this connection before!
[grin] Maybe I ought to write a paper ! :)

More seriously, since I've just started trying vodka-dosing to reduce the phosphates in my tank (following this article), I've been keeping an eagle-eye on DO. If that turns out to be useful to anyone else, I'm good with that :)

OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. The EA manual doesn't have that, at least that I can see. I replace my bulb every 12-18 months anyway, and I've never had a problem with the bulb not working. I've been running UV for about 6 years now, and I *think* it's always been on the Apex.

[grin] And I guess I'm turning it off for ~ 6 hours, so overall it's a wash anyway :)

Last edited:

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those "spikes" seem almost instantaneous, my guess would be the change is more due to electrical interference from the UV pump/bulb and not the actual function of UV filtering.

OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those "spikes" seem almost instantaneous, my guess would be the change is more due to electrical interference from the UV pump/bulb and not the actual function of UV filtering.

The vertical lines are slightly misleading - the way the Apex reads its data is that you can see changes as they happen on the display, but I think it takes a snapshot every 15 minutes for the graph. That snapshot doesn't appear to be averaged in any way, it's just the "current reading".

So a signal varying like:
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.38.19 AM.png

... sampled at the boundaries indicated by the red lines, would produce the vertical line in the graph.

I wouldn't totally rule out the DO being influenced by the UV power supply, but Neptune do make a big deal out of how their electronics is all galvanically isolated, and I do have two routes for wires going back, one is signals (even though they seem to be coax cables) and the other is line-level power. I'd be surprised if it were just interference, but hey - I was surprised about the UV being the cause in the first place, too :) To cover the bases, I've placed a question with Neptune on their forum.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure its from the uv radiation but id definitely suspect the stray voltage from the bulb messing with the readings. Do you have a ground probe? My 90w uv gives off lots of stray voltage.

OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure its from the uv radiation but id definitely suspect the stray voltage from the bulb messing with the readings. Do you have a ground probe? My 90w uv gives off lots of stray voltage.
I don't have a ground probe, it never made much sense to me to provide a path for current out of the system. Voltage being high doesn't matter - it's all relative anyway - but actual current flow is an issue if you (or a fish is) in the path.

Still, it'd be an interesting experiment to see if I still see it with a GP in place. Maybe I'll order one and see :)

OP
OP
spacedcowboy

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, some further results...

[TL;DR I no longer think the UV is depleting the dissolved O2]

I used a multimeter to measure for stray voltage in the tank. I got 0.075v AC when the meter had the black probe connected to ground and the red one in free space, and I got 0.203v AC when the red probe was in water. I also noted no surge or spike when switching the UV off or on. I conclude there isn't much of any stray voltage in the system.

IMG_0116.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg

I also compared the graphs for the other sensors, and I couldn't see any similar periodic interference on the pH probe or conductivity probe, both of which are usually pretty sensitive to electrical changes in the water, and both of which are co-located next to the dissolved-oxygen probe.

Next I checked the routing of the wiring, and the DO probe's wire never went within a foot of the UV PSU or unit itself. I'd thought that would be sufficient.

[Insert game show DER-DERRRRRRR buzzer here]

The DO probe has an excessively long wire, so I moved the PM3 box and probe to the other side of the tank, and routed the DO wire in the opposite direction from the UV. Now neither the probe or wire were getting within 8 feet of the UV system. Look what happened to the DO trace...
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 9.37.11 AM.png

So maybe it's RF interference, with the DO cable length having some harmonic resonance with the power supply or something. In any event, it seems to no longer be an issue having moved things around. There's still some small effect even at that distance (I'm losing '1' notch on the scale above) but I can live with that.

So, in summary:

1) UV sterilizers don't eat your oxygen to any measurable degree

2) Wire routing is critically important sometimes

3) I don't get to write a paper :)

And, thanks to @Malcontent I'll probably move the UV off the timer so it runs 24/7, and just monitor its energy use instead :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back