Distilled Water issues?

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main Question: Has anyone been able to relate any water quality issues with using store-bought distilled water, that later were resolved by using your own RODI system?

I’ve been purchasing distilled water for my 30 gal nano reef tank just because I didn’t want the hassle of buying add’l equipment and time with making my own water since I don’t have a large system. I test the bottles every so often and they have all been usually between 0 and 1 TDS.

However, I can’t seem to keep emerald crabs or any type of shrimp alive for more than a week or so. Corals all seem ok except I always think they could have more polyp extension, except for an Acan that is alive but has refused to open up fully after the first couple of weeks I got it.

I know there are multiple variables, reasons for these symptoms but just wondering if my store bought distilled water @ 0-1 TDS could be part of the problem. I realize not every contaminant of concern shows up as detectable TDS.

My reef tank is about 1.5 yrs old. I started having the issues with emerald crabs and shrimp about 2-3 months in. All Hermit crabs and snails seem ok however.

Wondering if it’s time to bite the bullet with an RODI sys.

TIA

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, commercial distilled water should be as pure or more pure than RODI water.
But I still prefer RODI because then I'm in control of how the water is made. And also price, of course.
If you're concerned about possible toxic elements in your tank, you could send in a sample to Triton or ATI for ICP-OES analysis.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process of distilling water, assuming you are getting what you pay for, is much more likely to be pure than RODI water (collecting from gas vapors vs passing thru filters and resins that have the potential for letting something thru especially if not maintained). Either one can be contaminated after the fact.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Purple cap Walmart never steered me wrong. Got Dino’s when I went to RO/DI 4 stages just bought the upgrade to 7 stages...

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never actually used distilled water for my tank. Before I got a RODI system, I always bought pre-mixed salt water from LFS (doesn't get any easier than that except for carrying jugs of water which you're already doing anyway). Distilled water should be quite pure, but anything mas produced in a factory can have occasional quality problems.

cwombles17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Purple cap Walmart never steered me wrong. Got Dino’s when I went to RO/DI 4 stages just bought the upgrade to 7 stages...
Did you have to add anything other than salt? My ph is around 7.8 now and I’m doing a 15 gallon water change in a 65 gallon tank.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s purple cap?
Nevermind, I figured it out when I saw a pic on their website, buuuuut the distilled water at Target is cheaper. 65¢

Target Distilled Water

6D994D75-8D1E-4A6F-9709-8D394AB2ED67.jpeg

Cacopepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using for years the water from those machines that are $0.35/gallon from Publix supermarket down in central fl, where I live, for my 24 gallon reef. I have a coral banded shrimp for a year and a half now and I never had problems, I guess Is the luck of the Irish for different people.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back