ditching my reef mat for a Ref??

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a lot from the threads here but I'm wondering my G2 max 200 came with a protein skimmer and a roller mat and not much room in da sump remains . But it seems like neither of those might deal with high nitrates and phosphates. It's just I read a lot of posts and read different things. perhaps over saturating myself with useless information? I don't care if on side down ref attached outside my Biocube if it would make my life a lot easier. It seems like the protein skimmer will break down a lot of organic material, and the mat will catch the detrius, but what will keep nitrates and phosphate slow? I'm not sure my sump can fit a ref so I'd probably have to place one on the back. Is the reef matt all that??? I might just replace it with some smaller compartmentalized filter socks, somewhere else in the sump and then fit a ref in the sump too boot. i'm new to reefing obviously, but waiting all kinds of stuff about my nitrates and phosphates and all the different systems used to control all the parameters, it seems like I want them all to make things work the best. I also have read some people haven't had much luck with the reffs, so IDK. but who needs a roller mat to take so much space in the sump when I can just get some filter socks somewhere and much smaller too? maybe it's not wise for me second guesw Red Sea's biochemist engineers when they unveiled the max G2 plus system, which is their top of the line per gallon system. if I needed a ref, would not have Red Sea included one in their max system? Or they may have just left it open for obsessive hobbyists to do what they need according to their own pursuits. Still, filter socks, or a ref? Or a mat and outside ref. Or forget it...

robinm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have space for a fuge you could add an algae turf scrubber or an external algae rector. Alternatively use bacterial export for nutrient control, nopox, bacto balance, carbon dosing etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back