Dive video in Key Largo!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'll have at least one more (and much longer) video once I get it ready to go, but I thought I would share this one. I think this one is the City of Washington wreck/reef dive in Key Largo. If not, it's Mike's Wreck in Key Largo. :)

Lots of fish here, and several corals as well. Unfortunately I saw a lot of bleached corals. It was heartbreaking. You can see the sargent majors charge me a couple of times. They were so *****... lol... didn't get bit, though, fortunately. There are green chromis, blue reef chromis, Atlantic Blue Tangs, and several other varieties of fish you all may recognize. The GoPro did an absolutely amazing job of taking this video. I am thoroughly impressed with that little camera!

City of Washington Dive - Key Largo - YouTube

Brandon

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool video. That lens made a big difference. the gopro is amazing! Wish I had one when I used to dive all the time. I had to haul around a 20# camera and housing :sad:. I have to re-edit my old videos from diving. The original file i used when editing the one I uploaded was corrupted that one time a few years ago when i messed up my drives. I have it all still on the original tapes. No SD disks back then :)

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, man, that lens made ALL the difference. Not to mention the water was more clear. :) Needless to say, vis was like 60ft or so. These GoPros are pretty incredible, IMO. I don't know of anything that can even come close to comparing to them. They're so small they cab be used just about anywhere, from diving to a Twinstar. :D

I know you had strobes on your camera and housing, but did you ever do any color correction? ROYGBIV is haunting me a little bit in this vid obviously. :)

That sucks your original video became corrupted. I'm realizing that now that we have a GoPro, I'm going to probably have to finally setup a RAID array with a couple of 2TB drives for storage... heh. These files are NOT small! :)

Brandon

Pandarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and dive Brandon. I need to do a dive there, and with a GoPro. I looked it up and it looks like an awesome little setup. What lens did you add on it?

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Donny! We need to go diving soon! :)

The GoPros are great little cameras! There are a few of us using ours on our RC planes as well as diving. :) The lens that I got is nothing too special, it is just a flat lens designed for underwater usage. The stock lens is a rounded lens, which doesn't work well underwater, so you can grab a flat lens to use underwater and it makes a big, big difference. You can see the difference by checking my video I made of bluegill weekend before last and the video I made in the Keys this weekend. :) I picked a flat lens up at a spearfishing shop while I was in Miami for $35. It looks to be DIY to be honest. Just two pieces of well-cut and well-glued acrylic. Rick, you need to jump all over it! :D I'll probably get a glass version later so I'm not as worried about it getting scratched.

Brandon

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are actually a few people making really nice lenses for the go pro's now. And according to their website they are making a new housing for it. I don't think i would even have a change to compete.

I did use lights on my rig :D 2 x 100w HID. Other than that i did not need any color correction. here is my old rig. I really miss it :cry:

P1000465.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have the second video uploading now. Its 32 minutes long, so it says it has about 930 minutes or so to complete uploading... lol. I'll have it on here sometime tomorrow. :)

Brandon

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice vid. I need to get me one of those cams. When I dove last, many moons ago all I had was a crappy cam and an underwater housing. I had to buy an external flash for it and the whole thing was a pain to lug around and the pics came out like crap. I never knew vis looked that good in Largo.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Thanks, Mike.

Mitch, these little cameras are amazing. I can't believe how good they are for the money. Even just 5 years ago when Rick was doing his stuff, it probably would have cost a couple of grand to get video that good, and now its about $300 to $350. Not bad! This thing is the first thing I've used underwater, and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm really excited to finally have some underwater shots... lol. There was a small school (maybe 5 or 6) of these beautiful tangs down there that kept hanging out with me and coming to say hello in the next video. I'll see if I can get a screen shot while the video is uploading. I think we hit perfect conditions down there... the vis was great!

Brandon

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video on their site.....that's just to cool for school. Gotta get me one of them there gadgets. Do you get something for referring a friend?

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch, forgive me, bro, but you lost me. :) Referring friends to???

Thanks, Sam! I does appreciate it.

Brandon

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch, forgive me, bro, but you lost me. :) Referring friends to???

Thanks, Sam! I does appreciate it.

Brandon

You know since you own one, and I want to buy one because of what you showed then maybe they will give you some sort of credit towards some other stuff. Refer a friend kinda thing.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok... talking about the GoPros... I don't think they have a referral program, but thanks for trying!

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back