Divers Den clams

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just looking to see how others have faired when ordering clams from Live Aquaria's Divers Den. I currently ( and have for years now) housed, a 6-inch blue Squamosa, a 4-inch Hippopus, a 3 inch Gigas all from Austinaqua farms, and a 2-inch Maxima from Pacific East Aquaculture. All are happy, healthy, and growing. My point being, I am, and my tanks are clearly capable of long term success with clams.
However, any time I purchase a clam from the Divers den it always dies within a week if not sooner. I know a lot of their clams are now coming from ORA and also BIOTA. Are they the possible problem? Any one try one of these places clams through a vendor other than Divers Den?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid divers den clams at all costs, especially if you have healthy clams thriving in your system. If you can get them shipped directly from ORA or biota then I would be good with that but if it's being shipped from divers den system, I would avoid putting their clams in your tank.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid divers den clams at all costs, especially if you have healthy clams thriving in your system. If you can get them shipped directly from ORA or biota then I would be good with that but if it's being shipped from divers den system, I would avoid putting their clams in your tank.
Why is that? Have you had bad experiences with their clams?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? Have you had bad experiences with their clams?
Absolutely, among many other experienced tridacna keepers. I wouldn't suggest avoiding a company if I did not have prior experience. The OP has a healthy thriving system with clams from reputable vendors, I would never recommend divers den when it comes to tridacna. Like I said, if they are shipped directly from ORA and biota then I would trust them.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have didn’t have luck the one time I ordered, feedback suggested it was because I placed my order during the winter months and others had had more success during warmer weather. Nice thing about LA is they are pretty hassle free if the clam arrives in poor condition and issue you a full refund. Surely they have had some success otherwise you would think they would stop shipping clams.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thank you all for the responses. I have had so many losses now from DD clams that I cringe to even think of them. Certainly in the double digits. I know that seems really bad on my part to continue to go back but as I'm sure you all know, clams are one of those animals that once they go south, more often than not, their toast. Having the "guarantee" is the only reason I've continued but it's just not worth the hassle anymore. I have not been able to keep a single DD clam for more than 2 weeks ever. As stated in my first post, I was thinking that ORA and BIOTA were just farming crap clams but you guys don't think that's the case then?
I can tell you all this. I placed an order with DD just this last week. One maxima and one squamie. They called me ten minutes later to let me know the maxima had already perished. LOL. I almost said nevermind altogether but ended up getting the squamosa. Welp. 3 days in and it looks like its on its way out as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den seriously has an issue going on with there clam systems. It's a shame they keep sending clams out in bad shape. I've never recieved one with new shell growth. Unfortunately a lot of people looking to buy new clams are pulled in by a nice full mantle but that's a false inclination that the clam is healthy. A warranty means nothing IMO when one clam can wipe out a collection.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A warranty means nothing IMO when one clam can wipe out a collection.

This is so true!!! I actually had that happen in 2006 and ended up with me leaving the hobby for 10 years.
I lost about 10 clams after a (and I **** you not) Liveaquaria order. Had one come in with PM. I was so devastated I pulled the plug. Obviously time healed those wounds and I went back but I'm finding all of this to be far too familiar.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Poriferabob if you email biota they will work with your local fish store in regards of getting clams directly from them. They don't sell to the public.
I will be doing this for sure.

So not that it really matters at this point, but any ideas as to why their clams are so unhealthy? My guess would be that they're bringing them in and selling them too fast. I know they claim to quarantine and blah blah blah, but my best guess would be that they just cant handle the back to back changes.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 40 clams after a blue squammy from DD. Some sort of infection/disease that clearly spread from that specimen to the others, which were quite healthy from mostly ORA. Gradual thinning of the mantle with some eventually getting holes between the inhalent and exhalent areas.

I had a similar experience with a blue squammy from DD in 2014 which killed the few clams I had there. I had hoped they had improved. Big gamble I lost.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of late, I had been using a little 5 gallon with a sponge filter and an AI Prime for my clam QT. What do you all use?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a 10g tank with just a simple HOB, glass lid and black box fixture for QT. I changed a 5g bucket once a week with water from DT.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of my stories... swore of DD, tried them again for a grail clam and of course it died too...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back