Diving back into the deep end with a 135 gallon cube

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just realized I missed the cost question. That’s a little tricky since I got a steal on it for a Black Friday deal.
Here’s a link to the tank I have.

You could always try emailing them and seeing if you could get a better price. I know last fall when I first emailed about that size he didn’t have it on the website and quoted me lower than what it’s listed now as he was trying to get rid of his inventory of that size tank.
no sorry the stand build price. LOL my bad.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sorry the stand build price. LOL my bad.
Haha oh, I’d have to look it up but I think it was around $500 for the stand. I went with tnutz.com for all the extrusion and hardware. The stand is 38x38x32. With the leveling feet and top plywood it should bring me to around 34”. Shoot me a pm if you want help with figuring out your stand.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo it’s been a little while and nothing has happened, sorry to say. I work in the construction industry and summer is busy up here in the northeast. Also add in trying to get a lot of stuff taken care of outdoors on the house equates to not much time to work on tank. But I’m trying to jump back into planning for it so that when things slow down here shortly I can hop right back in. I think I’ve got a tentative plan for layout in the stand underneath. Let me know if anyone has suggestions or opinions. For reference the drawing is to scale with each square is 2”.

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpeg
    IMG_0378.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 73

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered my 135 gallon from them. i like your stand and cant way to see it skinned. Im probably gonna go 2x4 for my mine and make it big enough for a 40b sump as well. I am liking what i saw on another post for skinning and that was doors on sliding brackets instead of hinges. so im going to my mine a have sliding doors somehow.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered my 135 gallon from them. i like your stand and cant way to see it skinned. Im probably gonna go 2x4 for my mine and make it big enough for a 40b sump as well. I am liking what i saw on another post for skinning and that was doors on sliding brackets instead of hinges. so im going to my mine a have sliding doors somehow.
I saw they had a really nice Black Friday special on them. Good luck with putting it together. If you start a build thread for it feel free to post it here and I’ll follow along with you. I’m not sure if I posted it here or in another thread but I got some z clips to hold bottom of my panels and going to use the child proof cabinet magnets to hold the top so it’ll be easy to remove but sturdy. I’ve got too little ones running around so want to try and keep them out of it.

I’m hoping right after Christmas I can get back into mine. Right now between work and helping out at the Christmas tree farm with my wife’s family, it’s a busy month.

Let me know if you have any questions though and I’ll be glad to help.

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting back into building things. Spent a little time last weekend doing some figuring and planning. Today got some cutting done on the pieces for the stand.

Here’s some pictures of some of the sketches I’ve done so far for the tank. While doing a couple last weekend saw all my other ones so thought I’d post everything.

I’ve got several of these sketch books that whenever I work on a project I pull one out and start sketching things. While I like seeing stuff in 3D, it always starts and ends with some hand drawn sketching. Call me old school but I like the paper. Something about the process of pencil on paper helps me slow down and think about it and better visualize things.
IMG_1200.jpeg

This was one of my first ideas so that I could fit a 4’ wide tank in the space I was looking at. After talking with a couple companies it became clear that the stand design was going to be expensive and then started looking at a 3’ wide tank and came across the 3’x3’ foot print and really liked the idea of it and how it would fit the space nicely. I really liked the idea of having 3 sides visible on the tank.
IMG_1201.jpeg

The rest of the images are sketches of sump layout ideas, cost comparisons of stand components, stand design, and some layout ideas of aquascaping.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1211.jpeg
    IMG_1211.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting back into building things. Spent a little time last weekend doing some figuring and planning. Today got some cutting done on the pieces for the stand.

Here’s some pictures of some of the sketches I’ve done so far for the tank. While doing a couple last weekend saw all my other ones so thought I’d post everything.

I’ve got several of these sketch books that whenever I work on a project I pull one out and start sketching things. While I like seeing stuff in 3D, it always starts and ends with some hand drawn sketching. Call me old school but I like the paper. Something about the process of pencil on paper helps me slow down and think about it and better visualize things.
IMG_1200.jpeg

This was one of my first ideas so that I could fit a 4’ wide tank in the space I was looking at. After talking with a couple companies it became clear that the stand design was going to be expensive and then started looking at a 3’ wide tank and came across the 3’x3’ foot print and really liked the idea of it and how it would fit the space nicely. I really liked the idea of having 3 sides visible on the tank.
IMG_1201.jpeg

The rest of the images are sketches of sump layout ideas, cost comparisons of stand components, stand design, and some layout ideas of aquascaping.
I can totally relate .. Just got around to getting my stuff together .. Been working on it last few days

OP
OP
ScottD

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can totally relate .. Just got around to getting my stuff together .. Been working on it last few days
Your control board is looking good. Your tank is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing some livestock in it when the times comes.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your control board is looking good. Your tank is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing some livestock in it when the times comes.
Same !!
Way I see it will be pretty sparse for a while

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My most challenging rock.
IMG_20240203_001243431.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back