Diving head first into this hobby!

Par Ohmsford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I'm happy to be here! I've been exploring what everyone has done and taken quiet a bit of advice for my own tanks so I figured I should probably throw together my build post // adventure in reefing!

My wife and I started with a 24 gallon Aquatop AIO and very quickly fell in love. Everything stayed stock for the first month or so but we quickly upgraded almost everything. Currently in this tank we're running:
  • Jebao OW-25 wavemaker
  • Jebao DCS-1200 return pump
  • Removed the stock sponge filtration for filter floss (held up by a filter floss holder from inTank)
  • Removed the media baskets in the back and turned that chamber into a refugium
    • ultimate starter pack from algaebarn with Chaeto
    • refugium light also from algaebarn that sticks directly to the glass
  • Kessil A80
    • This is about to be replaced by an AI Prime 16hd, I would not recommend the A80 for this tank at all if you're trying to grow coral - our Par reading was about 25 at the bottom of the tank, and only about 80 toward the upper third
Shortly after picking up the Aquatop, our son's daycare decided to get rid of their 40 gallon freshwater tank that they were neglecting. They heard we had just gotten a fish tank and told us we could have theirs as well just so they could get it off their hands.

We were shopping around at one of our LFS just to see what they had and found a sale on a fluval 13.5 gallon tank that my wife decided she wanted for her desk in the office. This tank is currently all stock and just about to finish cycling.

Our LFS had a used 200 gallon tank that they kept trying to get us to purchase, and after slowly wearing us down they came in with the dagger and gave us a big discount on it. That is currently awaiting some reinforcements in our floor before we slowly start piecing it together. It came with an Eshopps AR-300 sump and I'm excited to start plumbing that in.

In the midst of all of this we build our own RODI / saltwater mixing station which is going to come in super handy when it comes time to fill up the 200 gallon tank and the subsequent water changes.

To say we dove head first into this hobby is definitely an understatement, but my wife and I instantly fell in love with everything. It's been great to share a hobby with her and I can't wait to see what we end up doing in the future!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back