Diving the Gulf of Mexico

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where this post should be, but here goes...

I’m looking to be scuba certified this summer. I can’t wait to jump in and see the Gulf of Mexico in a whole new way! I was looking at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Laws for collecting and it got me thinking. Do any of you collect wildlife when you dive? I’m not sure that’s something I’d ever do... I don’t have a tank big enough for any tangs or angels, and blennies and gobies are too fast. Corals are illegal and I wouldn’t collect them anyway even if law allowed. I also don’t have the skill or equipment.

Do any of you guys collect when scuba diving?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not fortunate enough to live in the beautiful waters of FL, but i have collected species from the Long Island Sound in CT. Honestly, im not sure what the laws are on collection for personal enjoyment, but ive collected numerous invert, sponge species, macro algaes, and fish to keep in a 75 gallon brackish tank. It was a ton of fun collecting my own species, I would honestly recommend it. Only make sure you are following all applicable laws, and that you only take species you can keep long term in captivity (i.e. do your research). There is a thread already started on personal collection, I will try to find and link it.

For me, it really helped understand my local waters, and gave me a new appreciation for the area.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds cool. The only species I would be able to house would be blennies or gobies. The tangs are too big for my tank and puffers/triggers/box fish wouldn’t be suitable for my inverts and corals. Not would Angels or butterflies. My reason for dive certification is so hubby and I can take a vacation where diving is a possible activity. In the meantime, if I’m scuba certified, we can explore what’s in our own backyard. I won’t be deep water certified for a while (if ever) but I can still dive the Pass and inlets at Gulf Shores and Mobile Bay if I choose. If you find the link, please post it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread here a few weeks ago on the topic of divers collecting stuff. I don't recall the specifics, but there are allowances, in FLA at least, for personal collection of certain animals. If your home/tank is proximal seems like a cool idea; otherwise not so much.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in FL are you, I have a condo in boca grande fl. If i lived there full time, I always wanted to do a local species tank, something around 500 gallons.

There are some coral species around some of the inlets (if i remember correctly porities), but last time i snorkeled they were all bleached out :'(, that was 2 yrs ago.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back