RRU Hades

299.JPG

Oooh that's going to FIRE!

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the Alkatronic now?
Any regrets? Do you wish you had gone with the Trident instead, or are you still happy with your decision to go with the Alkatronic?
Have you purchased the Dosatronic as well, or do you not feel a need for it?

As always, love the updates.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the Alkatronic now?
Any regrets? Do you wish you had gone with the Trident instead, or are you still happy with your decision to go with the Alkatronic?
Have you purchased the Dosatronic as well, or do you not feel a need for it?

As always, love the updates.

I think I’m coming up on one year. No regrets, I love it.

I was having an issue with the test always being a little off from my Hanna (as much as 0.1), then about 1-2 months ago I had an epiphany and double checked my pump B (drain) pipe. It is supposed to go to the very bottom of the beaker and I just assumed it was set correctly from the factory. Turns out it was just a millimeter or so off the bottom. So I adjusted it so it’s seated all the way to the bottom, and wham accurate measurements. It now measures within 0.03 of my Hanna which can easily be attributed to my non robotic measuring.

I love that reagent is cheap and you can even buy generic which is even cheaper. Probably the only nit picky fault I can find with it is that it has no hardwire port for internet. I like to hardwire my Apex when we travel just in case WiFi goes down. I can’t do that with the Alkatronic.

I have no plans to get the dosetronic. I love automation, but I’m not ready for a machine to make adjustments and dose based on those readings. I like my BRS pumps, simple and bulletproof.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m coming up on one year. No regrets, I love it.

I was having an issue with the test always being a little off from my Hanna (as much as 0.1), then about 1-2 months ago I had an epiphany and double checked my pump B (drain) pipe. It is supposed to go to the very bottom of the beaker and I just assumed it was set correctly from the factory. Turns out it was just a millimeter or so off the bottom. So I adjusted it so it’s seated all the way to the bottom, and wham accurate measurements. It now measures within 0.03 of my Hanna which can easily be attributed to my non robotic measuring.

I love that reagent is cheap and you can even buy generic which is even cheaper. Probably the only nit picky fault I can find with it is that it has no hardwire port for internet. I like to hardwire my Apex when we travel just in case WiFi goes down. I can’t do that with the Alkatronic.

I have no plans to get the dosetronic. I love automation, but I’m not ready for a machine to make adjustments and dose based on those readings. I like my BRS pumps, simple and bulletproof.

Any issues with your Apex at all?
I'm wanting a controller, but have heard of issues with them losing connectivity.
I realize they are the largest controller in the US market which is going to give them more visible issues, even if there are the same number of issues (percentage wise) or less than direct competitors.
What do you mean by hardwiring your Apex? Cat 5/ethernet cable to router?

There is a IT aspect of reef keeping these days that I'm not up on and get confused by...but I can absolutely see the advantages.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with your Apex at all?
I'm wanting a controller, but have heard of issues with them losing connectivity.
I realize they are the largest controller in the US market which is going to give them more visible issues, even if there are the same number of issues (percentage wise) or less than direct competitors.
What do you mean by hardwiring your Apex? Cat 5/ethernet cable to router?

There is a IT aspect of reef keeping these days that I'm not up on and get confused by...but I can absolutely see the advantages.

I've had a few issues over the years with my Apex, but nothing major. I would absolutely buy another Apex if I was setting up another tank. I have a Classic apex and I found a bulletproof Firmware which I plan to stay on for as long as possible. That's one of the reasons I didn't want a Trident is that it would require me to buy the new Apex base unit. And I've also read numerous connection issues with the new base unit so I'd prefer to avoid it.

Yes, by hardwire I mean plug an Ethernet cable directly from the Apex to my router. Some people are fortunate to have a port right behind their tank and just leave it hardwired all the time. Mine is across the room from the router so I use a bridge. I only string an ugly hardwire when I'm on a trip. My Apex doesn't lose connectivity, but sometimes the WiFi on my router gets wonky and if I leave it hardwired I don't lose connection.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few issues over the years with my Apex, but nothing major. I would absolutely buy another Apex if I was setting up another tank. I have a Classic apex and I found a bulletproof Firmware which I plan to stay on for as long as possible. That's one of the reasons I didn't want a Trident is that it would require me to buy the new Apex base unit. And I've also read numerous connection issues with the new base unit so I'd prefer to avoid it.

Yes, by hardwire I mean plug an Ethernet cable directly from the Apex to my router. Some people are fortunate to have a port right behind their tank and just leave it hardwired all the time. Mine is across the room from the router so I use a bridge. I only string an ugly hardwire when I'm on a trip. My Apex doesn't lose connectivity, but sometimes the WiFi on my router gets wonky and if I leave it hardwired I don't lose connection.

Ahh...I thought you had the 2016 Apex.
With my set up, running ethernet down to the tank would be difficult at best.
And finding a Classic Apex in good shape is getting harder and harder to do.
I was hoping you were having good results with the new version.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh...I thought you had the 2016 Apex.
With my set up, running ethernet down to the tank would be difficult at best.
And finding a Classic Apex in good shape is getting harder and harder to do.
I was hoping you were having good results with the new version.

If I only could get a 2016 Apex, I still would. It seems super bulky and cheaply made. Why make a big box? The classic is so thin and sleek and easy to mount. That said, I still consider the Apex essential IMO, classic or not.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got Coraline?

I always laugh when I see all the threads where people with brand new tanks are trying to grow coraline and dosing all kinds of crap in their tank to get it going. :p Be careful what you wish for! I have to dip and clean my Vortechs and frag racks every 4 months minimum. They do this in only 4 months! :eek:

308.1.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back