Dixie's 3gal mixed reef

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this baby up about 2 weeks before Christmas 2012. Took about a week to cycle. I have 2 tiny hob pumps with sponges to catch debris. Running leds for light.

Stock:
peppermint cleaner shrimp
3 nass snails
1 margarita snail
2 nerite snail
Banded trochus snail
a couple baby brittles
feather duster
favia
goni
zoas
birds nest
tiny mushroom
blasto
suncoral
2 hydnophora frags
tiny frogspawn

IMAG3422.jpg

IMAG3468.jpg

IMAG3469.jpg

IMAG3473.jpg

IMAG3474.jpg

IMAG3475.jpg

IMAG3476.jpg

IMAG3477.jpg

IMAG3478.jpg

IMAG3546.jpg

IMAG3754.jpg

IMAG3784.jpg

IMAG3801.jpg

IMAG3821.jpg

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Love the choices. Can't wait to see it mature. Where did you find the baby brittles? I've been looking for some of those myself :smile:

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Love the choices. Can't wait to see it mature. Where did you find the baby brittles? I've been looking for some of those myself :smile:

Thank you! I was lucky enough to get them on some live rock I bought to seed my 10 gallon. They started reproducing and I was able to get my hands on a couple when I was fragging a coral off of said rock. I did, once upon a time, come across a website that sells them. I will try to find it again and let you know!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a goby small enough for this tank.

And a great looking one too ... I love those Gobies ... not just that one but many others. I have a Yellow Rose Goby and a Citron in my 20 G who likes to hug the front glass of the tank ... cutest fish around : - 0

citron1107.png

He just hangs there like glued to the front glass, I call him "Magnet". You can also see my Lantern Basslet in the pic.

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cute! I was wanting to get a panda clown goby but my lfs hardly ever gets them on. He said he could get me a citron but it would be $40. I really like the tangaroa that I got. He likes to chill in the middle of the tank in plain sight and I got him to eat some of the food that I made up. And he has such a personality, I just love him!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cute! I was wanting to get a panda clown goby but my lfs hardly ever gets them on. He said he could get me a citron but it would be $40. I really like the tangaroa that I got. He likes to chill in the middle of the tank in plain sight and I got him to eat some of the food that I made up. And he has such a personality, I just love him!

Yes I fully agree, Tangaroa gobies (Ctenogobiops tangaroai) are real cute speckled as they are and if I remember correctly they can be kept in very small tanks and will associate with a shrimp and may even share their burrow with another Goby, e.g. a Yellow Rose one.

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it overflow when you add frags? Nice pico. Is the orange and pink stuff some type of goniopora?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it overflow when you add frags? Nice pico. Is the orange and pink stuff some type of goniopora?

They look like Sun Polyps to me and require a lot of feeding .. each polyp separately and at least once a day IME ... FWIW

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are a sun coral. I have had this one since September and is doing very well. It is a nps so I have to feed it. Each polyp is its own animal therefore I feed each one every other day. I have trained it to extend its polyps during the day. No it does not overflow at all. I have to top off every day.I do have a goni in there at the moment that isn't doing too hot. I moved it over from my 10. Been trying to feed it but I have to practically beat off my cleaner with a stick. He is so selfish when it comes to food.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are a sun coral. I have had this one since September and is doing very well. It is a nps so I have to feed it. Each polyp is its own animal therefore I feed each one every other day. I have trained it to extend its polyps during the day. No it does not overflow at all. I have to top off every day.I do have a goni in there at the moment that isn't doing too hot. I moved it over from my 10. Been trying to feed it but I have to practically beat off my cleaner with a stick. He is so selfish when it comes to food.

Yes ... lots of feeding ...lots of work but at least you can feed them during the day apparently. Good for you.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a '3' gallon? It looked much bigger then that in the pictures. Great pictures by the way - good clear shots. You have some very pretty life in there.

Have you ever had a goby that jumped OUT of a tank? I just bought my first diamond goby at Aqua critters and it the morning it was laying on the floor - yikes never had a fish jump out of any of my six tanks before. I want another - but I will have an open tank so if they are famous for jumping that not good (thought they were suppose to hand in the sand).

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's either 2.5 or 3 gallons. I have had 2 gobies jump out of my 10 gallon, a firefish and my pink bar goby. My pinkbar was my first fish and I had him for a couple months before he jumped; he jumped out of the tank, off of the counter and flopped 3 feet over in front of my dishwasher! I was devastated. That particular firefish had jumped before but I saw it happen and put it back in the tank. I guess it has a death wish or something.... I really like them but I wont be getting anymore until I upgrade and had a lid on the tank.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's either 2.5 or 3 gallons. I have had 2 gobies jump out of my 10 gallon, a firefish and my pink bar goby. My pinkbar was my first fish and I had him for a couple months before he jumped; he jumped out of the tank, off of the counter and flopped 3 feet over in front of my dishwasher! I was devastated. That particular firefish had jumped before but I saw it happen and put it back in the tank. I guess it has a death wish or something.... I really like them but I wont be getting anymore until I upgrade and had a lid on the tank.

I guess that you figured out that a lot of fish are jumpers indeed and that you need a screen mesh over the tank with no openings anywhere as if there is one they will find it, and get out or get stuck in the opening and not make it as once they are stuck they can't get back in the tank unfortunately.

And FWIW make sure the screening material you get is reef safe, and not treated with e.g. fire retardants or similar compounds. The Big Box stores will have netting for birds in the Garden section, that can be used and has a small enough mesh so the fish cannot get through. It also comes in different colors. Here is what it looks like but you can get some with a finer mesh which would be better so even the smallest fish you have cannot get through it :

nettingscreen.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back