DIY 2x4 wood stand for 300 gallon

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some suggestion on my design for a wood stand for a 300 gallon 48”x60” acrylic tank.

I think this might be over kill but I want the stand built to last. Any suggestion?

Nothing will be under the stand but I will be adding a couple access penals to one of the sides so I can use it as storage.

Planning on sheeting the top with 3/4” ply wood and a rubber mat for leveling.

One question I had was how do you level a DIY wood stand? Shims? Leveling feet? I’ll be doing the tile under the stand myself and will get it as close to level as I can but I’m not expert.

IMG_0516.jpeg

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
invest a bit more, and you can make it out of aluminum extrusion. Best ever, wont get rusty, wont absorb water, and much stronger.

wood is pretty expensive now, im sure the extrusion will not cost that much more.

plus you have additional expenses like painting or sealing the wood from moisture.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
invest a bit more, and you can make it out of aluminum extrusion. Best ever, wont get rusty, wont absorb water, and much stronger.

wood is pretty expensive now, im sure the extrusion will not cost that much more.

plus you have additional expenses like painting or sealing the wood from moisture.
Any suggestions on where to get aluminum? And how connections work/figuring out sizing for strength etc?

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Just make sure to get it level on your build. are you skinning it? This is my 6x4 build.
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1737small.jpg
Yeah I was planning on skinning it. My wife wants to get some wood that’s looks weathered for the stand and wall to try and make it look like an old beach house feel

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the legs UNDER the rails, not next to them.

In the corners, you only really need two boards in an L shape.

You don’t need more than one center leg on the long sides, if that.

My preference for leveling is cedar shingles along the whole outside but you’re mileage may vary.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you putting the sump? Under the tank would be the most prefered but you might have other plans. :)
It’s going in my fish room behind the tank. Probably going to do some storage under the tank. Might put my mini fridge under there, pellets, nori, tank cleaning gear. Maybe a frag tank in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back