Diy acrylic aquarium: does the color of the bottom panel really matter?

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I always thought it wouldn't make a difference unless you were doing bare bottom, but after seeing eshop's recent release of nano tanks and the effect that the florescent orange bottom has on the tank I'm beginning to wonder if it would have the same effect on a bigger scale. Like if I were to build a 40 or 50 with a fluorescent orange bottom? Has anyone had experience with this?

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Naturally I understand that but idk if you've ever seen a deskmate in person and the effect the bottom has on it

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the aquarium you're referring to but given the way light bounces around I would imagine that it would be possible to see a hue of the base colour through other parts of the aquarium, perhaps just from particular angles. White or blue might not be particularly noticeable but orange or red might be.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reefers in the facebook groups I'm in had a normal tank and outlined the bottom rim with orange. Looks real clean and really adds to the asthetic.

1698118817834.png

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reefers in the facebook groups I'm in had a normal tank and outlined the bottom rim with orange. Looks real clean and really adds to the asthetic.

1698118817834.png
Looking at it closer... It might be an eshopps nano acrylic tank actually!

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eshopps Deskmate and the orange bottom is quite pleasing in my opinion. I was skeptical about it at first and thought it looked like a tank that should be holding those glow-in-the-dark guppies, but it's grown on me. I have mine on a white desk so the glowing orange is nice. It's more of a translucent orange as well, not an opaque orange that won't let light penetrate.

IMG_7917_deskmate.png

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have an Eshopps Deskmate and the orange bottom is quite pleasing in my opinion. I was skeptical about it at first and thought it looked like a tank that should be holding those glow-in-the-dark guppies, but it's grown on me. I have mine on a white desk so the glowing orange is nice. It's more of a translucent orange as well, not an opaque orange that won't let light penetrate.

IMG_7917_deskmate.png
Now are the panels late in the traditional manner or do the clear side panels go around the bottom edge?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back