DIY algae scrubber for biocube 29

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on making a diy algae scrubber to fit in the back of my biocube 29. I've watched a few videos on YT to get ideas. I was running a coralife skimmer in chamber 2, but the pump died on me and now I'm rethinking how I want to deal with nutrient export. Anybody else attempted something like this? Would love some thoughts and ideas. When I'm ready to build it I'll share my build on this thread.

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There!
I'm not really a DIYer but loved the idea of an ATS. I found one on Ebay that fits the back of my biocube 29 perfectly. It keeps my nutrients nice and low (sometimes too low)!

Here's the guy I got it from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Scrubz-R...aa282d8d6:m:mjyeyxdXow3MbJG5l6_RnAQ:rk:1:pf:0

Seems like he's sold out of the 29 ATS but you can scope out his design on the pictures.
Do you run anything else in the back? I currently have a media rack, but it looks like this one uses that spot. I could easily move my gfo and carbon to another spot though. I like the idea of going skimmerless, but I have a medium to high bioload.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an algae reactor, when I dropped one in my bc29 I could have literally done awy with water changes. I put this one together before they offered a package at Marine Depot. You just drop the pump into chamber 2 and place the reactor in the stand. Quick and easy maintenance, all scrubbers are a pita no matter which way you shake it. Ditch the skimmers unless you are using a true hob, those chamber skimmers no matter what the brand, just don't cut it.
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...MIn8_xosmQ3gIVEsNkCh1AVgaWEAAYASAAEgLH7vD_BwE

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an algae reactor, when I dropped one in my bc29 I could have literally done awy with water changes. I put this one together before they offered a package at Marine Depot. You just drop the pump into chamber 2 and place the reactor in the stand. Quick and easy maintenance, all scrubbers are a pita no matter which way you shake it. Ditch the skimmers unless you are using a true hob, those chamber skimmers no matter what the brand, just don't cut it.
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...MIn8_xosmQ3gIVEsNkCh1AVgaWEAAYASAAEgLH7vD_BwE
I have looked a bit in to this method as well. Why is a scrubber more of pita maintenance wise than a reactor?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked a bit in to this method as well. Why is a scrubber more of pita maintenance wise than a reactor?

Imo a scrubber is easier to maintain and less can go wrong. Just a few thoughts here.

The scrubber takes 5 minutes total to take out and clean the screen.

Pumping water out of an aio seems counter intuitive to me.

That being said, alot of success has been had with both systems.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With a scrubber as the algae grows the water flow changes and you are always dealing with a water fall sound, or in an upflow design clogs and escaping bubbles. Cleaning is just a chore. The flow you will always be adjusting, with the water fall type you will get the gurgling sound at irregular intervals. Look around at any swap meet or craigslist and you will find these abound,

I run reactors on all my tanks. With quick disconnects it is easy and clean to maintain, when dialed in you will usually harvest about once a month. Dropping a pump in the back chamber is just no big deal, it just flows through the reactor and back into chamber 3. You are talking about flow, there is no pressure, so plumbing is simple and should be foolproof. Trying to put a scrubber back there I guarantee you will have flow issues. And to use an upflow scrubber inside the display takes up valuable real estate and is unsightly.

I was already running reactors and because of all the rage, I tried a scrubber. I did a diy santa monica knockoff in my biocube and a waterfall type on a 180. I've seen the real Santa Monicas in action, and all of the more known water fall type scrubbers. They all have the negatives I spoke of, it;s just a matter of choosing your poison. Scrubbers are not for me and alot of people that I know. All of my friends have scraped theirs as well.

An added plus, I fill my reactors with a mixture of macros, and harvest the fern caulerpa and gracillaria for my angels and tangs.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on making a diy algae scrubber to fit in the back of my biocube 29. I've watched a few videos on YT to get ideas. I was running a coralife skimmer in chamber 2, but the pump died on me and now I'm rethinking how I want to deal with nutrient export. Anybody else attempted something like this? Would love some thoughts and ideas. When I'm ready to build it I'll share my build on this thread.

I don’t know what the back of your cube is like but all u need is a small pump / power head and pvc with mesh screen. Throw a light on it and good to go. Basically cut a slit in the PVC and shove the screen in. Put a barb fitting on the end and run some hose from a small pump to the PVC. It’s simple.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I really do like the reactors. I have a friend that's currently building one for his 80 gallon system. But for my little biocube I think I'm going to go with an algae scrubber like the one@Katepete722 linked. I like the design he has, and the fact that it uses the natural water flow between chamber 1 and 2. It would be nice to not have to find another plug in spot for another pump. I was going to make one but I think I might get the one this guy is offering on eBay. Seems like a fair price actually.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine

96F952CA-B618-4F3C-A7CF-CC12BCE6A119.jpeg

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine

96F952CA-B618-4F3C-A7CF-CC12BCE6A119.jpeg
This is a link too my build thread .. showing my diy algea scrubber , theres also a video (not mine ,) that i used too build it
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mack’s-reef.292277/page-14
You have a an
With a scrubber as the algae grows the water flow changes and you are always dealing with a water fall sound, or in an upflow design clogs and escaping bubbles. Cleaning is just a chore. The flow you will always be adjusting, with the water fall type you will get the gurgling sound at irregular intervals. Look around at any swap meet or craigslist and you will find these abound,

I run reactors on all my tanks. With quick disconnects it is easy and clean to maintain, when dialed in you will usually harvest about once a month. Dropping a pump in the back chamber is just no big deal, it just flows through the reactor and back into chamber 3. You are talking about flow, there is no pressure, so plumbing is simple and should be foolproof. Trying to put a scrubber back there I guarantee you will have flow issues. And to use an upflow scrubber inside the display takes up valuable real estate and is unsightly.

I was already running reactors and because of all the rage, I tried a scrubber. I did a diy santa monica knockoff in my biocube and a waterfall type on a 180. I've seen the real Santa Monicas in action, and all of the more known water fall type scrubbers. They all have the negatives I spoke of, it;s just a matter of choosing your poison. Scrubbers are not for me and alot of people that I know. All of my friends have scraped theirs as well.

An added plus, I fill my reactors with a mixture of macros, and harvest the fern caulerpa and gracillaria for my angels and tangs.
Took a look at your scrubber you made. Nice work! Thanks for the advice and I'll make sure to pay attention to flow. I may well end up with a reactor but I'm going to start with a scrubber. Thanks again!

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of getting a Packer G sticker to put on the big pipe. I’m not a a good painter so it was a bit of a pain to paint the PVC.

A3CF1F9A-BE0B-45C4-A64D-4FDB269FFB1B.jpeg

D8CF866A-0101-4ED1-9B1D-A9E44AF3E8AE.jpeg

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
So I finally got the scrubber that @Katepete722 suggested. The seller was very helpful and the ATS seems both well designed and well built. I like that it uses the natural flow from chambers 1 - 2. I had to sand it down in some spots to better fit my 2nd chamber. I also had to make a dang that sat on the wall between the first and second chamber to throttle the flow. With out it my third chamber filled too fast and my display tank level was too low. I also cut a piece of plastic that fit accrossed the 2nd chamber to help hold some filter floss in place. I bought an Acke 12 watt grow light that I attached to the back with some Velcro strips.

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running this scrubber for a month and a half now and I’m getting great algae growth. Ph levels at night are staying close 8. Really happy with how this scrubber fit and works.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back