DIY Alkatronic reagent

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pair one up with a cal reactor, the Alkatronic is hard to beat.

If you fine-tune tune (with Baseline Calibration function) to the Hanna checker then make sure you test with fresh reagents, because Hanna's reagents have a short lifespan once a new bottle is opened. Older opened Hanna reagents will come in on the high side.

Salifert and the "New" Red Sea Pro alk are pretty hard to beat, with their reagents lasting a lot longer.
I will be using it with my calcium reactor. I have Hanna ALK right now, and love them.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Dwest and Randy

One more question if you don't mind

Does that mean that once I dilute 1N Sulphuric Acid to 0.1N by mixing 100ml of 1N to 900ml of Rodi.
Then with my freshly mixed 1L 0.1N I need to dilute that further with 4L of Rodi to get to base solution for Alkatronic making in total 5L of Reagent (1L Sulphuric Acid +4L rodi =5L of ready to use reagent for Alkatronic) is that correct?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Dwest and Randy

One more question if you don't mind

Does that mean that once I dilute 1N Sulphuric Acid to 0.1N by mixing 100ml of 1N to 900ml of Rodi.
Then with my freshly mixed 1L 0.1N I need to dilute that further with 4L of Rodi to get to base solution for Alkatronic making in total 5L of Reagent (1L Sulphuric Acid +4L rodi =5L of ready to use reagent for Alkatronic) is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Dennis

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gents i managed to get hold of 4N of sulphuric acid to get 1L of 0.1N how much of 4Nto rodi do i need?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people that that 0.1N sulphuric acid return it back into the system? Like I do with the actual alkatronic reagent? Thanks
I believe many do. I return my reagent that I make myself from 1M HCl.

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the sulfuric acid getting more concentrated with water evaporating. I have experienced that with stains on clothes. It doesnt matter how diluted the acid is it will make holes in the clothes when the water from the acid dries.
But if You wash the clothes immediately it may go well.
My experience of HCl is different. I think I will make a test to see.
The experience of HCl and a pet bottle is from 2005 before I opened my shop.
I went out of Salifert kh reagent and with 2 x 120 miles to drive to buy new I decided to make my own.
I used a 1,5 litre PET bottle (ex carbonated mineral water) with RO water and calculated amount of HCl. I got the same results as with the ending Salifert test and was satisfied. I bought a new Salifert test and forgot the bottle in a shelf.
After half a year I saw the bottle again and tested it. The acid was now much weaker so I emptied the bottle.
I have been reading all thread and I think I understand it. But reading your post 2 questions came to me....

How can I make the salifert reagent using HCl? What is its concentration? Is it 0.1N HCl diluted at 1:4 (the same as alkatronic)?

Can I use Salifert test to see if my diy alkatronic reagent is Ok? Are salifert and alkatronic reagents interchangeables? Because if I use my diy alkatronic reagent with salifert test I don't get the same results...

Thank you!

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used Salifert in a long time, forgive me if my memory of it is wrong.

Are you referring to the final reagent that you put in the 1ml syringe to get the proper color change?
Yes, I thought you made it by yourself with HCl. I was curious about how did you do it and if you knew if it was the same as alkatronic reagent or not.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading all thread and I think I understand it. But reading your post 2 questions came to me....

How can I make the salifert reagent using HCl? What is its concentration? Is it 0.1N HCl diluted at 1:4 (the same as alkatronic)?

Can I use Salifert test to see if my diy alkatronic reagent is Ok? Are salifert and alkatronic reagents interchangeables? Because if I use my diy alkatronic reagent with salifert test I don't get the same results...

Thank you!
It is very easy to do the math on the Salifert alk reagent, based on the instructions. Salifert uses 4 mL of sample, and if it takes the whole 1.0 mL syringe of reagent to reach the endpoint, then the sample has 16 dKH or 5.71 meq/L of alkalinity. Therefore, the concentration of the reagent must be 4 * 5.71 = 22.86 uM/mL = 0.02286 M. So, no, they are not interchangeable.

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy to do the math on the Salifert alk reagent, based on the instructions. Salifert uses 4 mL of sample, and if it takes the whole 1.0 mL syringe of reagent to reach the endpoint, then the sample has 16 dKH or 5.71 meq/L of alkalinity. Therefore, the concentration of the reagent must be 4 * 5.71 = 22.86 uM/mL = 0.02286 M. So, no, they are not interchangeable.
Wow, easy, easy... I'll have to read it many times carefully. But yes, you solved my doubt. Thank you!!!

mcgaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so I just mixed up the 0.1N (800ml of acid to 3200ml of ro). Just tested the mix and it seems to reading 1dkh higher. I measured everything out with volumetric class a cylinders. Has anyone else had this issue?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a brand new shot of my Amazon jug

image000000.jpg

Seems to read the same... :)
Hello have you been using this ? and have you been returning the waste back to you tank? If so do you have a link for that product? Thank You forget it i found out my answer. lol

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back