DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you were describing my afr use wrong from how I am running, and have ran it.
So that was the reason tor caps, aka bold print.
I am 100% sure I was the very first person in the USA to use the afr powder. In use for over 2 years now. And before that it was the diy mix. I was using the diy even before the brs recipe was printed, just a slightly different mix. I diluted mine more.

I understand you asked some questions, but I wanted to clarify exactly what I was and am doing, so that you had a 100% understanding of that before I answered otherwise you may be confused, of working under bad advice which I do not ever want to be the source of.

No offense taken. No bad advice obtained. I have a great handle on A4R. Definitely under appreciated product. I haven’t tried A4R powder, because at this point I like the flexibility of DIY recipe.

I was working on my own recipe to increase A- for the high iodine depletion in my tank. I was going to run a 3 month test with monthly ICP’s but then my tank got wiped by Hurricane Ida in August 2021.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken. No bad advice obtained. I have a great handle on A4R. Definitely under appreciated product. I haven’t tried A4R powder, because at this point I like the flexibility of DIY recipe.

I was working on my own recipe to increase A- for the high iodine depletion in my tank. I was going to run a 3 month test with monthly ICP’s but then my tank got wiped by Hurricane Ida in August 2021.
Sucks to hear about the tank wipe out. I took a hard hit myself during the texas freeze.
I would talk to tm about adding more of any of the 4 products in the diy mix, to verify it won't trigger a precipitation event.

I found that if evaporation is to much from the container, that can trigger a precipitation event and form crystals that do not re-desolve if added to rodi, even if it's heated.
Here are some images of the crystals, they are up to 1/2 inch long.

Attachments

• 20200708_180004.jpg
    20200708_180004.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200708_180117.jpg
    20200708_180117.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200708_180111.jpg
    20200708_180111.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200708_180134.jpg
    20200708_180134.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200708_183944.jpg
    20200708_183944.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 53

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear about the tank wipe out. I took a hard hit myself during the texas freeze.
I would talk to tm about adding more of any of the 4 products in the diy mix, to verify it won't trigger a precipitation event.

I found that if evaporation is to much from the container, that can trigger a precipitation event and form crystals that do not re-desolve if added to rodi, even if it's heated.
Here are some images of the crystals, they are up to 1/2 inch long.

oh yeah I’ve seen these pics before. I saw you posted them a while back. I think the calcium formate is the issue due to it being in super saturation. The A- and K+ bring more into solution and when evaporation occurred, crystals started to form.

Solubility in water is 18.4 g/100 g (100 °C) and the recipe calls for 18.7 grams per 100 grams (mL) of water. So the only way to get it into solution is the trace elements to chelate the calcium formate ions into solution. Definitely any evaporation would form percipients. That’s really informative to show that it can happen.

I’ve talked with Hans at TM. This was something they wanted to try. He suggested some values to start.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah I’ve seen these pics before. I saw you posted them a while back. I think the calcium formate is the issue due to it being in super saturation. The A- and K+ bring more into solution and when evaporation occurred, crystals started to form.

Solubility in water is 18.4 g/100 g (100 °C) and the recipe calls for 18.7 grams per 100 grams (mL) of water. So the only way to get it into solution is the trace elements to chelate the calcium formate ions into solution. Definitely any evaporation would form percipients. That’s really informative to show that it can happen.

I’ve talked with Hans at TM. This was something they wanted to try. He suggested some values to start.
I figured the a and k trace add additional water to the mix, since it's not a concentrated gel or powder. That would increase the amount of fluid, diluting the powders concentration. Per 100g of water. That would mean it's closer to the 18.4g with the additional fluids from a&k.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the a and k trace add additional water to the mix, since it's not a concentrated gel or powder. That would increase the amount of fluid, diluting the powders concentration. Per 100g of water. That would mean it's closer to the 18.4g with the additional fluids from a&k.

Good point! hmm I’ll have to test that out. I’ll add 100 ml of water to the recipe and see if it brings more into solution. Your probably right.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point! hmm I’ll have to test that out. I’ll add 100 ml of water to the recipe and see if it brings more into solution. Your probably right.
I've actually already done that. Every 10ltrs of mix I made I added 1 extra liter of water. I seemed to get less settling on the bottom.
Since switching to the powder I really see no settling after mixing though.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually already done that. Every 10ltrs of mix I made I added 1 extra liter of water. I seemed to get less settling on the bottom.
Since switching to the powder I really see no settling after mixing though.

hmm i wasn’t going to try to powder but it if works well like that plus being less expensive. I’ll give it a go!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i wasn’t going to try to powder but it if works well like that plus being less expensive. I’ll give it a go!
Powder is the best option in my opinion. 6 level scoops per 1000ml rodi and a couple min stirring, even cold water and it's fully mixed.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some of you be able to compare the results if all for reef vs the balling method?
Other question, how is your ph with all for reef?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there are no other replies yet, I will try to answer. I did the Balling method plus K+ and A- Elements (trace elements) before and changed to All-For-Reef in two systems. I have seen no difference in the corals or the general tank appearance.

Of course it is hard to judge lets say after half a year whether the systems could have developed different if I had continued with the Balling method plus trace elements, but to me there is no obvious difference.

However, compared to the Balling method without trace elements the trace elements in All-For-Reef may make a significant difference, like increased nutrient consumption, enhanced growth and colors etc..

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I will use all for on another of my tank,the consumption of kh is 1,8-1,9dkh approximately per day for a 540l tank I think net volume should be 480l,how much all for reef should I use .I put 50ml but the kh drop drastically, so it is not enough.If my estimation is right I should use around 130 ml per day,wish is more that the recommended dosis and I scare that my calcium become too high

Last edited:

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the recipe on post #2 still the going going recipe?
It's been 2 years since I made this stuff. I have about 30 days left in my container and need to make more.

I want to make 10 liters. It's just been so long I forgot how I made the last batch! o_O

shofman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there are no other replies yet, I will try to answer. I did the Balling method plus K+ and A- Elements (trace elements) before and changed to All-For-Reef in two systems. I have seen no difference in the corals or the general tank appearance.

Of course it is hard to judge lets say after half a year whether the systems could have developed different if I had continued with the Balling method plus trace elements, but to me there is no obvious difference.

However, compared to the Balling method without trace elements the trace elements in All-For-Reef may make a significant difference, like increased nutrient consumption, enhanced growth and colors etc..
Hello Hans,

Is it possible to replace Trace A and Trace k by Pro Coral powder ?
If yes, what is the ratio for 1400g of CarboCalcium ?

shofman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In France, AllForReef powder cost about 50€ for 10 liters of solution.
DIY version cost (with ratio) about 104€ for 10 liters of solution. So DIY with Trace A and K is useless for me ...

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This DIY method was posted before the powder was available. The only time that you might consider going DIY still would be if you wanted to adjust the amount of A and K in the solution. But for a vast majority of reefers using All For Reef, just go with the powder.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back