Tropic Marin All for Reef.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This statement by BRS, presumably provided by TM is simply wrong since it SHOULD NOT EVER be scaled by volume:

"
Specifications (per 500 mL)
  • Carbonate Hardness Concentration: 2,800 dKH"
dKH as a unit of measure literally means:

" As a unit 1 dKH is the same as 1 °dH which is equal to approximately 0.1786 mmol/L or 17.86 milligrams (mg) of calcium carbonate per litre of water, i.e. 17.86 ppm."

What is the alkalinity in the entire ocean? Same as in 1 mL: ~6.5 dKH

@Lou Ekus
@Hans-Werner

ovicez2004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show in a picture or write what the bottle says exactly? Is it dKH per volume?

Tropic Marine uses some nonstandard (incorrect) ways of describing alkalinity that may have translation issues.
Hans Werner gives the concentrations here:

"The concentrations for All-For-Reef solutions, no matter whether bought as solution or self-prepared from All-For-Reef Powder, are 43000 ppm calcium, Ca, 6000 dKH per liter alkalinity (as alkalinity-precursors), 1900 ppm magnesium, Mg, 780 ppm strontium, Sr and 34 ppm iodine, I."

And BRS gives it here:

We can extract from these that the alkalinity of AFR is 6,000 dKH. We can then use a calculator like this one and the entry for my DIY #1 (alk = 5,300 dKH) and then if you want to be very accurate, correct it by reducing the amount needed by a factor of 6,000/5,300 = 1.13 (13% reduction in dosing amount needed per alk boost).

The problem from TM arises that they sometimes use words like dKH per 500 mL (or other volume), which is an incorrect use of the units. dKH is already per unit volume, and the dKH in AFR (or anything else) is the same whether it is a volume of 1 mL or a million liters.

Attachments

• 20240112_190006.jpg
    20240112_190006.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 31

ovicez2004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I want to thank you for your answer. Hans Werner explanation in that post you attached was the one that opened my mind.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know, I am not a chemist, and I never pretend to be one! So I am not the best company person to answer this quesiton. It looks to me as it the word "concentration" is incorectly be used. I think this refers, in some way, to the total amount of alkalinity contained in the full volume of the liquid in the bottle. The numbers work out pretty closely if you look at it that way. This may. very well have been a translation error. We try to catch them all, but sometimes they "slip through". I appraciate you all pointing this out and I will be speaking with the team in Germany about this. Obviously, it will take some time for us to get the products with corrected labeling inot the US market. But we will correct the error.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know, I am not a chemist, and I never pretend to be one! So I am not the best company person to answer this quesiton. It looks to me as it the word "concentration" is incorectly be used. I think this refers, in some way, to the total amount of alkalinity contained in the full volume of the liquid in the bottle. The numbers work out pretty closely if you look at it that way. This may. very well have been a translation error. We try to catch them all, but sometimes they "slip through". I appraciate you all pointing this out and I will be speaking with the team in Germany about this. Obviously, it will take some time for us to get the products with corrected labeling inot the US market. But we will correct the error.

Thank you, Lou. :)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see my reply here
If it has been confusing folks since AFR came out I am very sorry but it skipped my attention. Are there questions related to the "amount" of alkalinity AFR adds in this forum?

I can't recall getting an e-mail asking how much alkalinity AFR doses based on the claims we make in the instructions.

The reason behind this "false" claim is, that I thought noone would understand, that the one liter bottle has 6000 dKH alkalinity and the half liter bottle also has 6000 dKH alkalinity. Should we have taken as prerequisite that everyone knows dKH is a concentration and not a quantity they can dose?

I know it is not your job, but maybe you can suggest how we can convert this concentration to a quantity that can be dosed given in units almost everybody understands?
I can't add much more to this question here at the moment.

The up-to-date concentration is ca. 6.000 dKH as alkalinity precursors. We have increased it from 5600 after the start of the product.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back