DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, is anyone dosing in an established SPS system regularly? Have you seen a boost in polyp extension or growth?
I've been dosing ammonium bicarbonate based on Randy's mixture and dosing enough to raise ammonia in the tank by 0.3ppm.

Although this is without testing, basing it solely of his 1st post. I don't have an ammonia tester so I just test the nitrates and phosphates at the end of each day.

As of today I'm due for for an increase to try and find a balance.

As for polyp extension and or growth, I can't attest to growth because it hasn't been long enough. But for polyp extension, I haven't seen a change one way or the other.

One thing that I can report is that the clams are open a bit more during lights on... but other than that, everything remains the same.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistakenly used the Tbsp instead of Tsp and made a 2 liter solution of 4 Tbsp. My idea is to split that 2 liters into 3-4 additional containers equally then top those off with RODI. Does anyone see any flaws in my simple math to fix?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistakenly used the Tbsp instead of Tsp and made a 2 liter solution of 4 Tbsp. My idea is to split that 2 liters into 3-4 additional containers equally then top those off with RODI. Does anyone see any flaws in my simple math to fix?

Sounds fine.

Or you can just be bold and dose more!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, is anyone dosing in an established SPS system regularly? Have you seen a boost in polyp extension or growth?
Starting this on my 75g full of sps as I’m bottoming out nitrate and corals getting pale. I had previously dosed calcium nitrate so we’ll see if this is any better. I’m just super gunshy about ramping up dose woth ammonia being toxic so right now I’m dosing 10ml twice a day which ends up only being equivalent to like .75ppm nitrate, a long way from 10ppm I’d like to get closer to.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting this on my 75g full of sps as I’m bottoming out nitrate and corals getting pale. I had previously dosed calcium nitrate so we’ll see if this is any better. I’m just super gunshy about ramping up dose woth ammonia being toxic so right now I’m dosing 10ml twice a day which ends up only being equivalent to like .75ppm nitrate, a long way from 10ppm I’d like to get closer to.

As you ramp up. go to more doses per day and not more per dose if tox is a concern. :)

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently dosing 30ml a day to my 800g system and my nitrates have risen from 0.1 to 0.3.

The system is new and does not have many fish yet, I noticed the corals getting very pale when I started dosing.

Im on week 3 I think and the corals are coloring up nicely, Im getting more algae growth on the rocks.

Ill be adding a group of fish to the tank this week so I will see where that settles out before I increase the dosage.

Im hoping I can get the nitrates up to 2.0 until I add enough fish to do it naturally.

Len Randal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have better results with Ammonium chloride?

I came really close to dosing Urea once, but decided against it after talking with a guru that tried it before. I think he basically concluded it was more dangerous to dose, and didn’t really have the effect that he anticipated. I like the idea that corals can uptake it better, but it seems to have some unpredictable alkalinity effects.
YES!!!! You might like to read my article from May , 2023. And the starter article from 2015 on our success with Ammonium Chloride? On Reef Central , New Forums : Reef Chemistry Forum : 369Augold.

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using in our 600g (mainly SPS) and qt system for past couple of months. Dosing ~55ml of Randy’s ammonium bicarbonate solution in 600. Things still look great, but we are now just able to dose this instead of NaNO3 to keep nitrate ~.1-1.5. Here is a quick video of 600.

Attachments

• 71685227789__555BF775-3233-4F00-B5EA-5F1F342AD306.mov
    43.3 MB

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using in our 600g (mainly SPS) and qt system for past couple of months. Dosing ~55ml of Randy’s ammonium bicarbonate solution in 600. Things still look great, but we are now just able to dose this instead of NaNO3 to keep nitrate ~.1-1.5. Here is a quick video of 600.
Looks like it’s doing well, how long since you switched to ammonium bicarbonate?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks into dosing my packed 75g tank colors are looking a little better and I’m seeing more algae on the glass. To me that’s a positive as I could go a week or 2 without having to clean the glass which tells me there wasn’t much nutrients available in the water column. I am dosing 10ml 2 times a day and will keep ramping up an extra 10ml dose per day Each week.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t using this in your ato basically cause a freshwater cycle and negate any benefits?

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t using this in your ato basically cause a freshwater cycle and negate any benefits?
It can't if the ammonia level is high enough. DrTim's fishless cycling instructions say to not let ammonia or nitrite get above 5 ppm, so maybe it should be at least above that level, maybe at least 6 or 7 ppm. I think that it may not be a concern if there are no minerals in the water, because I believe that I read that most or all bacteria can't grow, or grow well in water with 0 minerals.

Last edited:

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might happen..
Wouldn't the ph likely be too low for significant nitrification since ammonium chloride or ammonium bicarbonate will be added in the amounts likely used to water with a ph of 5 to 7 and no alkalinity?

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been experimenting with ways to maintain N03/P04 for the past couple months and came across this thread. I've been dosing ammonium chloride (Dr Tims) to my 15 nano reef, 4 drops daily. I prefer to keep my P to N ratio at 1:100 or close to that. I've had success keeping N at 5(ish) ppm and P between 0.02-0.08 depending on feeding. I have not experienced nutrients bottoming out, and find this a great way to maintain my preferred levels. My SPS look great, I saw colors improve a week after dosing, and I've had success with 3 Millepora frags where I struggled in the past. I will continue this practice until I find a reason not to. Thanks Randy and community for this thread!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I know I posted here yesterday about dosing ammonium chloride. After re-reading Randy's post and that ammonium bicarbonate is more pH friendly than ammonium chloride, I'm making the switch to bicarbonate. Through the power of online shopping, I had some ammonium bicarbonate delivered today, and made a 500ml solution, measuring 10g + RODI. Tomorrow I will start dosing 1ML daily to my 15g nano and see how things progress.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 50 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back