DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Can you help me figure out how much ammonium bicarbonate is needed to raise my 20 gallon tank to 0.5ppm free ammonia? The tank is uncycled with no inhabitants.

The conversion between free and total ammonia will always confuse me. In the first post you suggested a starting dose of 0.1mg/L. Is that free or total ammonia?

Also, how does one use Jame’s Planted Tank Calculator for ammonium bicarbonate? It says ammonium from ammonium nitrate.

I do not recommend dosing nearly that high. It’s more than is necessary for cycling. At ph 8, that’s like 10 ppm total ammonia.

Why not use the recipe I gave on page one and scale it to 2 ppm?
 
I do not recommend dosing nearly that high. It’s more than is necessary for cycling. At ph 8, that’s like 10 ppm total ammonia.

Why not use the recipe I gave on page one and scale it to 2 ppm?
Yes. I can do that. Thank you. I’ll dose 2ppm total ammonia.

I didn’t mean to want to add over 10ppm total ammonia. Thank you for correcting me. You’re awesome!
 
Day 4 of making the solution and the mixture still smells like nothing, Using this.

4 teaspoons for a litter of water
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 40
Day 4 of making the solution and the mixture still smells like nothing, Using this.

4 teaspoons for a litter of water

Ammonium chloride will not release CO2 to the air, so the pH will stay low and the smell, if anything gets less over time if any ammonia actually leaves it.
 
I unfortunately bought this one as it was the first choice in your initial post, will order the bicarbonate and stop the chloride
There’s nothing wrong with it, and the smell may be less, it will just need some alk adjustments over time.
 
I guess it’s not surprising some CO2 would be released from ammonium bicarbonate since that is how it is used in baking to raise baked goods.
 
How much is safe to add? I started with 0.2ppm per day, now is in 0.5ppm and still isn't enough. Nitrates only in 0.3ppm
 
How much is safe to add? I started with 0.2ppm per day, now is in 0.5ppm and still isn't enough. Nitrates only in 0.3ppm

As long as it is spread out over multiple doses per day, and the dose is raised slowly, I think it is unlikely anyone will overdose a reef tank without nitrate getting very high.
 
How much is safe to add? I started with 0.2ppm per day, now is in 0.5ppm and still isn't enough. Nitrates only in 0.3ppm
I've dosed 0.4ppm at one time into the middle chamber of my AIO. Nothing seemed to be bothered by it.
 
Update- using Randy’s stock solution,

Ammonium chloride solution tested zero for ammonia and had no trace of ammonia smell.

Ammonium bicarbonate solution tested 2.5 for ammonia and smells like ammonia.

I will be using the ammonium bicarbonate solution from now on.
 
Update- using Randy’s stock solution,

Ammonium chloride solution tested zero for ammonia and had no trace of ammonia smell.

Ammonium bicarbonate solution tested 2.5 for ammonia and smells like ammonia.

I will be using the ammonium bicarbonate solution from now on.

Tested how? Just the direct test?
 
left is the instant bicarbonate test and right is the chloride test after 4 days.

Chloride took days longer to develope, where bicarbonate was instant.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1793.jpeg
    IMG_1793.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 42
Test tube on the left is an instant ammonia test using API with ammonium bicarbonate.

On the right is the instant ammonia test using ammonium chloride.

But not diluted, right? I’d never assume a kit will work under conditions it is not made for.
 
Test tube on the left is an instant ammonia test using API with ammonium bicarbonate.

On the right is the instant ammonia test using ammonium chloride.
Did you stick a little in some saltwater, then test it?
 
I think I’m one of few using ammonium chloride. It works perfect for my needs. It has zero odor and maintains nitrate just fine. I had no other reason for starting with ac than it was the first listed in the recipe and I’m lazy. When I run out, I’ll probably switch just for the alkalinity effect. Although, I believe it to be minute/negligible in my tank.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new