DIY Aptasia Killer

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!

I have been making my own Aptasia Killer with great success. I am using 9:1, RO/DI Water:Sodium Hydroxide.

However, it's not as precise as the brand name product (Aptasia X). With the brand name product I could easily target mouths due to it's thickness. My solution is lighter/runnier so I can't target the aptasia growing amongst some zoas, for example.

What can I use to thicken the solution? More Sodium Hydroxide? Corn starch?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found Kalk works well. I know for a fact that some of the aiptasia killers have capsaicin as an active ingredient. I have often wondered about adding in chili extracts.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!

I have been making my own Aptasia Killer with great success. I am using 9:1, RO/DI Water:Sodium Hydroxide.

However, it's not as precise as the brand name product (Aptasia X). With the brand name product I could easily target mouths due to it's thickness. My solution is lighter/runnier so I can't target the aptasia growing amongst some zoas, for example.

What can I use to thicken the solution? More Sodium Hydroxide? Corn starch?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe add a little bit of Kalk to thicken it up. I am no chemist so if mixing Kalk with Sodium Hydroxide is a no no then dont do it. Lol

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk paste to kill aiptasia. Thick but not too thick that you can’t draw it up through am 18 gauge needle. I use this injecting wand I made.
image.jpg

60cc irrigation syringe, nebulizer air hose attachment, rigid airline tubing, a 1cc syringe which fits perfectly snug around the rigid tubing, and an 18 gauge needle. Someone in the medical field can help.

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk paste to kill aiptasia. Thick but not too thick that you can’t draw it up through am 18 gauge needle. I use this injecting wand I made.
image.jpg

60cc irrigation syringe, nebulizer air hose attachment, rigid airline tubing, a 1cc syringe which fits perfectly snug around the rigid tubing, and an 18 gauge needle. Someone in the medical field can help.
Ingenious.... ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a little bit of Kalk to thicken it up. I am no chemist so if mixing Kalk with Sodium Hydroxide is a no no then dont do it. Lol

That mixture is fine. Still be concerned with pH and alkalinity rise, though.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a gelatin make it thicker?
Maybe, is it reef safe?

Note that sodium hydroxide will push up both pH and alkalinity, so don't use a lot in one day.
Yeah, I'm aware of this, thanks. I only do a couple heads at a time (max 2-3 per day). I haven't noticed any issues. I mostly have it under control, but I just got in a few frags of nice zoas and there was some aptasia there, and I don't want to burn the zoas...

I have found Kalk works well. I know for a fact that some of the aiptasia killers have capsaicin as an active ingredient. I have often wondered about adding in chili extracts.
I have heard that as well. I got the sodium hydroxide idea from the Aptasia X bottle, it had some sort of warning on it. Maybe Aptasia X has both in it. Too bad I gave all my kalk away a couple months ago... lol... I guess I'll order more...

Thanks!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made a Kalkwasser / sodium hydroxide mix. It kills everything it touches, algae, Aips, coral flesh. It mixes into a soft toothpaste consistency which is easily dispensed via syringe and a shell hardens, over time. It’s sticks to rocks like crap to a blanket, lol. 2 mls of this mix is safe in a 60 gallon tank as long as you leave the pumps off for a while. Turning pumps on before the shell hardens increases pH by 0.3 in my 60G tank, as I found out.
Happy Nukin :)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A syringe, a 23g needle and pure lemon juice. Inject the aiptasia with some and watch it disintegrate. Just did it to two of them.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea? How so?
You will not have killed all the tissue. Those little bits of living flesh can grow again. The idea behind the kalk / sodium hydroxide is to encapsulate the pest and ensure it is throughly chemically burnt out / suffocated / starved / sent to hell.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You will not have killed all the tissue. Those little bits of living flesh can grow again. The idea behind the kalk / sodium hydroxide is to encapsulate the pest and ensure it is throughly chemically burnt out / suffocated / starved / sent to hell.
I had only two that came in on WWC frags and survived a thorough toothbrush cleaning and a CoralRX frag dip. I believe they are done for, but we'll see. I have never had that issue in the past and have used that method a hundred times.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you only have one or two aiptasia on frags, a couple drops of liquid superglue over the top will fix it. Can't spore everywhere if it's sealed in!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock is still 50% infected with bryopsis, but not the 50% I nuked :)

Attachments

• 16326728543345856023534155940399.jpg
    16326728543345856023534155940399.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 64

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back