DIY Aquarium Stand - sides are different level

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I decided to build the much stronger stand, to replace my aquarium stand that was about to fail, using the well-known blueprint for building stands.

I just measured the sides and one of the sides is 3 mm higher than the other one :( I am guessing the long beam is a bit crooked :(

Is this a problem? I am placing an MDF panel and styrofoam on top to compensate for any imperfections.. and of course, I will shim It to adjust it good..

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kire

IMG_2817.jpg

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

But maybe you'll be totally fine with the MDF/styrofoam.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a diy stand that I needed to adjust too. I first placed the tank down onto the stand and noted where the imperfections were. Then placed some cutouts of shower liner where the tank was about a millimeter off the top. Afterwards, I covered it up with a leveling foam from aquarium store, styrofoam should work too IMO. My thought was that I didn’t want styrofoam/foam having to compensate for almost a millimeter dip in the middle of my table. No issues here. However, before you do all that, you can put 3mm wooden strips along the top of the frame, before you attach the MDF panel. I wouldn’t just shim it though, since MDF can get wet and deform.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a diy stand that I needed to adjust too. I first placed the tank down onto the stand and noted where the imperfections were. Then placed some cutouts of shower liner where the tank was about a millimeter off the top. Afterwards, I covered it up with a leveling foam from aquarium store, styrofoam should work too IMO. My thought was that I didn’t want styrofoam/foam having to compensate for almost a millimeter dip in the middle of my table. No issues here. However, before you do all that, you can put 3mm wooden strips along the top of the frame, before you attach the MDF panel. I wouldn’t just shim it though, since MDF can get wet and deform.
Thank you !

I was thinking the same :)
I will make the MDF watertight, with silicone so the water doesn't affect it! Thanks for the advice.

BTW what do you mean by 3mm wooden strips?

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you !

I was thinking the same :)
I will make the MDF watertight, with silicone so the water doesn't affect it! Thanks for the advice
I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

But maybe you'll be totally fine with the MDF/styrofoam.
we can't find those in Europe so easy :(

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to basics: Is the top of the stand flat? If the top isn’t flat, you need to correct that first. All this stuff about mats and foam isn’t useful. Things compress MORE when under more weight, not less.

Once the top of the stand is flat, then you can shim under it to get it level. The stand may be off or the floor settled so you will likely need to adjust accordingly.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re lucky your floor will be 3 mm out of level and it will net itself out. ;)

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re lucky your floor will be 3 mm out of level and it will net itself out. ;)
Thanks, guys!
So I found the problem - one of the horizontal beams was a bit crooked, and I change it for a straighter one, no there is around 1mm difference. I did place a self-leveling mat under the aquarium and 2 18mm MDF panels on top of it, to give extra strength, so I hope for some minimal adjustments needed.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there already a mat under the tank right now? In a pinch, Yoga mats work as well.
The stand is done :) I fixed the “questionable side “ with another beam, and now I have a margin of error of 1mm

I added a self-leveling mat on top - 5mm thick - so it will absorb the slight deviations.
I will do the first fill tonight and will measure if some stand alterations are needed and level it where needed

Attachments

• 4563F811-5C70-4F5B-9271-B65D1A87015D.JPG
    4563F811-5C70-4F5B-9271-B65D1A87015D.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 71

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the top of the stand is not level, no amount of “self leveling” mat with fix it. The side that is higher will push into the mat more and the other side with appear supported by the mat cannot support the tank. Those mats are for imperfections like slight bumps and valleys. If the two sides of the stand are not level with each other the stand needs to be corrected.

Edit: see rocket engineers post.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the top of the stand is not level, no amount of “self leveling” mat with fix it. The side that is higher will push into the mat more and the other side with appear supported by the mat cannot support the tank. Those mats are for imperfections like slight bumps and valleys. If the two sides of the stand are not level with each other the stand needs to be corrected.

Edit: see rocket engineers post.
The OP did say "slight imperfections" and that they corrected the issue with the stand. 1mm end to end is easily corrected for by shimming under the stand to get it level.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same stand. Turns out I am not a great carpenter. However, these leveling feet really helped get the surface perfectly level before putting the tank on:

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 1.51.16 AM.png
can these really support a large weight? i'd be worried those little twirly things would break.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can these really support a large weight? i'd be worried those little twirly things would break.
I only have them under a 15 gallon nano tank, but they are heavy duty. They make ones that support several hundred pounds. They are steel threaded bolts—I have no concerns about them supporting the weight.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back