DIY ATO. What did I do wrong?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a Youtube vid from a guy called The DIY King about how to make a DIY auto topoff. Seemed simple enough so I tried it but its not working.

Expose live wire of the extension cord. He said its the non ribbed side of a cheap extension cord. Check
Attach each wire to exact opposite side on the bottom of the 12 volt relay. Check
Connect one wire of the float switch (which looks identical to the one he has) to one wire of the AC adapter. Check
Connect the other wires of each to the same side on the top of the relay. Check

I did all of that and plugged everything in and used a lamp to test it but it doesn't work. What did I do wrong? The float switch came with a rubber gasket ring and a plastic nut but I didn't know what to do with those so I didn't do anything with them. they are shown in the pic. Do I need to do anything with them? Please someone help me.

unnamed.jpg

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a Youtube vid from a guy called The DIY King about how to make a DIY auto topoff. Seemed simple enough so I tried it but its not working.

Expose live wire of the extension cord. He said its the non ribbed side of a cheap extension cord. Check
Attach each wire to exact opposite side on the bottom of the 12 volt relay. Check
Connect one wire of the float switch (which looks identical to the one he has) to one wire of the AC adapter. Check

I did all of that and plugged everything in and used a lamp to test it but it doesn't work. What did I do wrong? The float switch came with a rubber gasket ring and a plastic nut but I didn't know what to do with those so I didn't do anything with them. they are shown in the pic. Do I need to do anything with them? Please someone help me.

unnamed.jpg
Your relay may have a different configuration for 120V power. Try moving the live 120V power to whatever the back of the relay says is connected. Probably like 4 and 9 for the top.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pic it looks your power cord is attached to the top of the relay and the switch is attach to the bottom? Am I seeing that right?
I mean no offense and I can appreciate your desire to make the ATO yourself, but I think you should watch a couple YouTube videos on how relays work. Yours may have a different configuration and you need to understand how it works to get it to do what you want. It should have a diagram on your relay or on the back of the socket. And each port on the socket is labeled with a number that corresponds to the diagram on the relay itself.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a picture of the relay schematic, most likely formed in plastic on the back black shell of the relay.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of relay you used and schematic on it makes a difference on how to wire everything.

Leave the 110V cord unplugged on both ends. With only the 12V side plugged in, when you activate the float switch does the relay click? You should be able to either feel it or hear the click. This just tests the 12V side of things and makes sure it's working. If you get no click actuating the float switch your problem could be in how you wired this end.

Depending on the cord you used the live wire might be identified differently on your cord than in the video.

Your messing with AC and DC electricity and water here. BE CAREFUL!

Also this "DIY" item is NOT something I would use without spending allot more time and money on it. The wire nut on the twist wires is utterly stupid. The wires should be soldered and have water proof heat shrink installed. The relay assembly needs to get put in a water tight project box and seal that appropriately.

In case anyone was wondering this is the Video the OP is asking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I give up. I just watched two videos about this and they were no help at all. I don't understand the diagram on the relay and I can't get these terminal to stick on the wires so they keep popping off. No matter how careful I am, the wires get hopelessly tangled every five seconds. This is why I hate Youtube. These people do these videos, its NEVER as easy as they say it is unless you have some kind of engineering degree, and its NEVER as cheap as they say it is. I'm sorry, you didn't offend, I'm just getting out my frustration. I give up and will just keep eye balling it every morning for how much water to add to the sump and wait till I can afford one. Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of relay you used and schematic on it makes a difference on how to wire everything.

Leave the 110V cord unplugged on both ends. With only the 12V side plugged in, when you activate the float switch does the relay click? You should be able to either feel it or hear the click. This just tests the 12V side of things and makes sure it's working. If you get no click actuating the float switch your problem could be in how you wired this end.

Depending on the cord you used the live wire might be identified differently on your cord than in the video.

Your messing with AC and DC electricity and water here. BE CAREFUL!

Also this "DIY" item is NOT something I would use without spending allot more time and money on it. The wire nut on the twist wires is utterly stupid. The wires should be soldered and have water proof heat shrink installed. The relay assembly needs to get put in a water tight project box and seal that appropriately.

In case anyone was wondering this is the Video the OP is asking about.

Thank you for the response. I have no idea what a 110V cord is and I here a pop or click from the switch whether or not the switch is plugged in.

I will include a pic of that diagram but its in white letters so it blends in with the white wiring inside the clear casing of the relay switch.

I do appreciate the responses and I apologize for my last post on this being so temperamental.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a float valve for years with never a problem. I haven't even cleaned the thing or touched it since. Sometimes we overcomplicate this stuff with all of these electronic gadgets.

Float valves rarely ever fail. Why else would they be in use in every house in the country.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 and 9 should be the 120V line from your extension cord. And those terminals likely aren’t sticking because the yellow wire is a very small gauge. To make it stronger, I made mine with soldered ends, no terminals on the low voltage lines, and terminals on the 120V extension cord lines. The wire nut is dangerous because it can let your wires get wet and blow the transformer in that 12V charger you’re using for low voltage. I recommend splicing and soldering and heat shrinking the connections from your float switch to your 12V power.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these DIY videos assume a level of experience that people might not have - it sounds like that may be the case here. That isn't an insult, just an observation. There is a bit of risk associated with this, especially if it is your first project of this kind, so the you should heed the calls for caution that you are hearing.

All that said, we all learn somehow, right? This is a doable first project for someone who has no experience, and again, the focus should be on safety first. If you want to proceed, we can take a step back and walk you through everything step by step (as some have started to try to do).

But first, in case you wanted more of a DIY-kit approach, did you know that BRS has a DIY kit that appears to have the parts you need, including enclosures to make it safe, and *instructions*. Not shilling for the product because I have never used it, but it seems to be designed to do what you want with perhaps a bit more of a helping hand.

If you'd like to try to make what you already have work, I'd suggest that we walk back a bit to how this is designed to work, the role that the relay plays, the risks you need to make sure you plan for, and we can go from there. Again, it can be done safely, and it is not a bad first project for someone who hasn't worked with dangerous (potentially lethal) levels of electricity. Just need to take it slow, one step at a time.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these DIY videos assume a level of experience that people might not have - it sounds like that may be the case here. That isn't an insult, just an observation. There is a bit of risk associated with this, especially if it is your first project of this kind, so the you should heed the calls for caution that you are hearing.

All that said, we all learn somehow, right? This is a doable first project for someone who has no experience, and again, the focus should be on safety first. If you want to proceed, we can take a step back and walk you through everything step by step (as some have started to try to do).

But first, in case you wanted more of a DIY-kit approach, did you know that BRS has a DIY kit that appears to have the parts you need, including enclosures to make it safe, and *instructions*. Not shilling for the product because I have never used it, but it seems to be designed to do what you want with perhaps a bit more of a helping hand.

If you'd like to try to make what you already have work, I'd suggest that we walk back a bit to how this is designed to work, the role that the relay plays, the risks you need to make sure you plan for, and we can go from there. Again, it can be done safely, and it is not a bad first project for someone who hasn't worked with dangerous (potentially lethal) levels of electricity. Just need to take it slow, one step at a time.
I wish I would have seen that monday!! Thank you.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110v explained, it’s basically the same term as when people say, 115v and 120v. They are just referring to your home electrical. See the below.

So when I said 110v cord I was referring to the 120V cord. Sorry to confuse you. I’m an older person so I’m used to the term being mixed as in the article above.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not that difficult. You might just have connected it the wrong way on the relay, or the relay is broken. If connected the right way and you toggle the float switch, you should hear a click.
Focus on powering the relay first. This is with the adapter and a safe voltage. Make sure you can make the relay click using the adapter only. Do not plug in the high voltage line, you don't need it at first.

1) Check the schema on the relay. It shows which pins are used for powering the relay (using the adapter) and which pins are for connecting the output. (which can be normal closed or normal open, this should be visible on the schematic on the relay).
2) Once you figured that out, you need to see which screws are for which pin. That black thing underneath makes sure you can easily connect wires, but you need to figure out which pin is which screw.
3) Now just connect the relay.
4) Plug in the adapter and make sure you hear the click when you toggle the float switch. If you hear the click right away, your float switch might be ON already or it might be Normal Closed (meaning if its in that position, it will allow the relay to close).
5) Once you are 100% sure you hear the click at the right time, figure out how to connect the high voltage cable. It has 2 cables, only 1 should go through the relay. (Unless you have a relay with 2 outputs (so 4 pins with the same NO or NC configuration), you might do the 2). Most of the time you will just do 1.
6) Now you need the remaining 110V cable and the pin that will output the 110V cable that comes out of the relay, those 2 cables will be used to power the pump.

kookahdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

unnamed.jpg
Top is bottom and bottom is top on the relay harness. Switch them and you’ll be good to go.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back