DIY Canopy Help

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a video on YouTube for a very simple to make canopy. My questions are would it be better to use 1/2" or 3x4" plywood and is it ok to use pressure treated?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a great canopy for my 150 long (72x24x21) out of 3/4 ply. The only problem I had with it was that it weighed in at about 900 lbs - or at least felt like it. Had it ever fallen on me while I was working on the tank I would have broken a bone or three.

I would not use 3/4 plywood!

When I made the canopy for my standard 120 I remembered the downside and planned accordingly. I used 3/4 solid cherry for the corners and frame but used 1/4" cherry for the panels. I can pick this one up one handed.

Use the thinnest material you are comfortable working with. DO NOT used treated lumber for any of the build. It is notoriously wet and therefore subject to warping/twisting as it dries. Although I assure that you'll be sealing the whole thing anyway with paint or stain, I'd also be concerned about it leaching things into the tank.

OP
OP
Wildcats1023

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a great canopy for my 150 long (72x24x21) out of 3/4 ply. The only problem I had with it was that it weighed in at about 900 lbs - or at least felt like it. Had it ever fallen on me while I was working on the tank I would have broken a bone or three.

I would not use 3/4 plywood!

When I made the canopy for my standard 120 I remembered the downside and planned accordingly. I used 3/4 solid cherry for the corners and frame but used 1/4" cherry for the panels. I can pick this one up one handed.

Use the thinnest material you are comfortable working with. DO NOT used treated lumber for any of the build. It is notoriously wet and therefore subject to warping/twisting as it dries. Although I assure that you'll be sealing the whole thing anyway with paint or stain, I'd also be concerned about it leaching things into the tank.

Thanks for the response. Most of what I am finding is treated. Would plywood sheathing be what i would be looking for or anything rated interior uses? @andrewy

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be looking in the wrong location. If you're at one of the big box stores (e.g. home depot or lowes), one aisle will be interior and the other is largely exterior and treated products. Usually the exterior aisle is either the outermost or second to outermost aisle with the interior wood products one aisle closer to the center of the store. Plywood sheeting would work fine. If you're going to paint, go plywood 1/4-1/2". If you're going to stain, I'd go with a nicer wood, I've done cherry and oak canopies. If you're at a lumber yard, explain to them your project and they'll take care of the rest :) If weight is a concern, you can build an internal frame and skin in 1/4" wood. If you don't want to do a frame, 1/2" is easier to work with.

OP
OP
Wildcats1023

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be looking in the wrong location. If you're at one of the big box stores (e.g. home depot or lowes), one aisle will be interior and the other is largely exterior and treated products. Usually the exterior aisle is either the outermost or second to outermost aisle with the interior wood products one aisle closer to the center of the store. Plywood sheeting would work fine. If you're going to paint, go plywood 1/4-1/2". If you're going to stain, I'd go with a nicer wood, I've done cherry and oak canopies. If you're at a lumber yard, explain to them your project and they'll take care of the rest :) If weight is a concern, you can build an internal frame and skin in 1/4" wood. If you don't want to do a frame, 1/2" is easier to work with.
Thanks I havent made it to HD yet I was just looking on their website. I will be going there tonight or in the morning and I'll head to the interior section. The video I found is a frameless one so I'll be going with 1/2"or 3/4"

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/4" plywood between solid oak to make a shaker door style hood to match my stand. If it was supported from above with 4 attach points, I'm sure it would have been fine as is. However, I wall mounted it to "float" above my tank and so I had to use some brackets and guide wires to support it.

IMG_20180527_175914.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back