DIY clear aquarium frame?

kaycee123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying an old 75 gallon aquarium off OfferUp but all the ones I see have those black rims and I really don’t like the look of them. From what I’ve read, I can’t remove the top rim from the tank as it keep its a part of the structural integrity, but I have seen people replace broken rims. I thought a clear one made out of plastic just like the black one that comes on the tank would look much better but couldn’t find any site where they sell clear rims and frames for aquariums. so my question is, do you think it would be possible to make a clear frame? Like laser cut one or 3d print it exactly like the black one or very similar? I’ve seen euro bracing on aquariums and I think If I were making the aquarium myself that would be ok but, I don’t trust it on a tank that was built from the manufacture with a rim attached. do you think this is possible or should I just leave it alone or save up a little more for a rimless one?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are brave and dont mind messing the tank up you could take it apart. Then go the euro brace route. I have never seen a clear top rim.

OP
OP
kaycee123

kaycee123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are brave and dont mind messing the tank up you could take it apart. Then go the euro brace route. I have never seen a clear top rim.
I may try it as an experiment to see if it works out. the guy wants to sell it for a pretty cheap price so if it doesn’t work I won’t lose to much. I may fill it with water for a while and let it sit before I add any livestock though.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass under the frame may not be smooth so be careful.
Good Luck brave soul

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would look for a rimless tank .
being a 75 gal it’s usually 48” long and to try to fabricate something out of a clear material would cost more than the tank is worth ( especially being cheap as you said )
Or perhaps constructing a decorative cabinet to hide the black trim ?

Are you set on a 75 gal for your size or is this open ?

a nice rimless 90 gal is the same foot print just taller

AMPHIBIMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying an old 75 gallon aquarium off OfferUp but all the ones I see have those black rims and I really don’t like the look of them. From what I’ve read, I can’t remove the top rim from the tank as it keep its a part of the structural integrity, but I have seen people replace broken rims. I thought a clear one made out of plastic just like the black one that comes on the tank would look much better but couldn’t find any site where they sell clear rims and frames for aquariums. so my question is, do you think it would be possible to make a clear frame? Like laser cut one or 3d print it exactly like the black one or very similar? I’ve seen euro bracing on aquariums and I think If I were making the aquarium myself that would be ok but, I don’t trust it on a tank that was built from the manufacture with a rim attached. do you think this is possible or should I just leave it alone or save up a little more for a rimless one?
If you find clear braces let me know! I’m interested. I agree it would look better than black.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back