DIY CO2 Scrubber

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try to use the Algae Barn Phytoplankton bottle to create a DIY Scrubber? I was looking at probably drilling a hole in the small chamber with tubing and water in that. Then in the bottom larger chamber have the Soda Lime in and a hole for piping to the Skimmer at the top of the other opening. Thoughts?
E15BF177-3A71-4777-BFC0-494E79D47EC8.jpeg

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why it wouldn't work but then again, Ive never used a co2 scrubber let alone made one. Can't wait to see how it works for you!

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I finally got around to making this. Pretty simple run, took the valve that regulates the air going into my Skimmer and extended the air hose to the Algae Barn bottle. Filled the large portion with Soda Lime and put about 10 mL of water in the small portion. Drilled the holes and ran the 3/16" hose through it (Soda Lime side to Skimmer, and Water side to valve/air intake).

Items:
Soda Lime
3/16" Air Hose
Algae Barn Phytoplankton Bottle

I'm curious if this makes much of a difference, did a reading of my pH and it sits around 7.8-8.0. We'll see in about a week if this helps.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just returned from my work trip. I did a pH test this morning and the reading is at 8.0, I'm curious to see what it is later in the day. The affects may be marginal, but it looks like a small increase in pH and I really didnt spend much to create it with everything already being on hand except the Soda Lime.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. newb question, wont the air that is sucked out by the skimmer run out on that small container? Or are they replenish by the fresh water going in the lime?

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to post pictures of the final build. I took the valve from the skimmer and put it on the right most/smaller cap to allow air in but to also regulate it.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to post pictures of the final build. I took the valve from the skimmer and put it on the right most/smaller cap to allow air in but to also regulate it.

Ooo I think I know what you mean. So its recirculating. From the top of the skimmer cup, you have a valve and air line that goes to the fresh water side of the bottle

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the one I dont know is. Will that fresh water drop to the lime chamber? And it will produce o2?

I am interested in this too because I do have that bottle and I can possibly recreate what you do. And I have my apex monitor my pH in real time(10mins increment) I can change that down to 1min

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back