DIY Decals for Enclosures

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a system based on Reef-Pi (thanks to @Ranjib and @theatrus ) that will be using a customized enclosure.

Does anyone here at R2R know of any ways to make good dry-transfer decals (white text/graphics) that will adhere to ABS plastic? My enclosure is the boring "computer beige" right now, but I will be painting it black as part of my final build.

I suppose icons/graphics/text stencils that I could mask and spray paint would work as well...just haven't been able to find any like that anywhere.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a system based on Reef-Pi (thanks to @Ranjib and @theatrus ) that will be using a customized enclosure.

Does anyone here at R2R know of any ways to make good dry-transfer decals (white text/graphics) that will adhere to ABS plastic? My enclosure is the boring "computer beige" right now, but I will be painting it black as part of my final build.

I suppose icons/graphics/text stencils that I could mask and spray paint would work as well...just haven't been able to find any like that anywhere.
Try the scrapbooking section of a craft store. They have decal makers there. Sorry but can’t remember the product name.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vinyl cutting / Plotter machine.. Its what i use to turn my Company Vans into Billboards. they can cut some fairly small logos the vinyl should stick to the plastic boxes as well.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sign shop can custom make them very inexpensively.

They wanted 1,300.00 for each of my vans I paid 650.00 for the Machine , It takes about 2 hours to prep the vinyl and maybe 3 for each van. About 20.00 for materials per van. They get by a big design bill and some even make you sign a waver stating they own the designs and you must keep using them for them....

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cricut. It’s a vinyl cutter/printer type thing. Michaels crafts stores sell them however they aren’t exactly cheap. My wife has one.

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cricut. It’s a vinyl cutter/printer type thing. Michaels crafts stores sell them however they aren’t exactly cheap. My wife has one.

Yeah, if I were cranking these things out like @theatrus , I might invest in one, but this is a one-off. I did find a place that does aluminum front panels. I've put this together, it'll cost about $50 or so...

front panel 1.PNG

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wanted 1,300.00 for each of my vans I paid 650.00 for the Machine , It takes about 2 hours to prep the vinyl and maybe 3 for each van. About 20.00 for materials per van. They get by a big design bill and some even make you sign a waver stating they own the designs and you must keep using them for them....

I don't think that vinyl is an option here...font is too small. Most laser-cut stencil shops I've seen online can't go smaller than a half inch (some are 1 inch). Too big for this application.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that vinyl is an option here...font is too small. Most laser-cut stencil shops I've seen online can't go smaller than a half inch (some are 1 inch). Too big for this application.

I have done some very small letters . 1/4 inch is what i think my machine can do.. Will give it a try and see as soon as i get a chance.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avery is the company that makes a ton of blank labels. Some are self-sticking. I used to print cd labels. Most programs like word, pages, ect use the templates so you can print them out on your own printer.

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avery is the company that makes a ton of blank labels. Some are self-sticking. I used to print cd labels. Most programs like word, pages, ect use the templates so you can print them out on your own printer.
I was going to do that. Then realized printers can't print white. So I'd have to make a black background that wouldn't match the case wrt surface finish.

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re-did the plate with 0.25" lettering (approx 18pt) vs the 0.17" (12 pt) original above... At first I was skeptical that it would look too big, but on a panel that size, I think I like it even better...

quarter_inch.PNG

Earl A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alps printer can print white. They don’t make them anymore. And are rather expensive on that auction site.

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Brother P Touch label maker. Use the clear tape with white print. They have tapes up to an inch high.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me the original art file (full size) and I can print it on a vinyl (same as is used on vehicle wraps) for you.

PedroFaida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vinyl cutting / Plotter machine.. Its what i use to turn my Company Vans into Billboards. they can cut some fairly small logos the vinyl should stick to the plastic boxes as well.

What kind of vinyl cutter do you use? Are you happy with it?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And actually managed to find one that seems legit. On this website I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back